Plath Model 9 Windlass

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ORIF

Vessel Name
TAMI II
Vessel Make
Tollycraft, 44 CPMY
Can anyone tell me their personal experience or knowledge of how large an anchor a Plath Model 9 windlass has been able to handle?
Mine is on a 1986 44' Tollycraft.
When I purchased the boat it had a 35 lb Delta and I upgraded to a 55lb Rocna.

Plath catalogue recommends it for boats 24'-35' and anchors up to 40 lbs.

It seems to be a workhorse and was factory installed on many boats larger than those specs in its day.

As anchor technology/knowledge has progressed, many of these boats have upgraded to larger anchors.

I'd like to upgrade to a 73lb Rocna which I currently use only for hurricanes.

Does anyone have personal experience with what this windlass can or can't handle?

Attachments

• Plath Windlass- RC Plath Model 9.pdf
    296.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1476.jpg
    IMG_1476.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 24
It mentions a capacity of 300 lbs. Based on a 3/4 hp motor and slow-ish lifting speed, I'd assume that's the rated working load, rather than max pulling power. I'd send RC Plath an email to confirm that. If that's the case, then depending on what you've got for chain and such, it'll probably be fine to pull a 73 lb anchor.

You only need to lift the chain weight for the depth you're anchored in, but even as a worst case, 200 ft of 5/16" G4 chain and a 73 lb anchor is about 280 lbs. So just under the 300 lb rating. You wouldn't be pulling that up in 200 feet of water, so that leaves more headroom for mud and such on the anchor. Assuming 100 feet as a worst case deep water lift, you'd be lifting just under 180 lbs.

If you've got larger 3/8" chain, then the windlass might be a hair on the marginal side.

Plaths are overbuilt. I have a pre-1965 Plath #4 and lift a 200# anchor and 1/2" chain. I usually anchor in deep water.

Regarding Plath model 9B windless . I use it frequently to pull my 45 pound anchor and 7/16 chain.

Back
Top Bottom