PlasTeak Teak & Holly Flooring

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tony B

Guru
Vessel Name
Serenity
Vessel Make
Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
Does anyone here actually have this stuff on their boat?
How well does it hold up to everyday wear and tear.
The price is not bad - Approx. $8/Sq. FT.
I can get Teak and Holly Plywood for Approx $4/Sq. Ft. in 1/4" thick. For the amount I want, the price is not an issue. I was just wondering which would suit me better. Probably take me about the same time to install either.
Some of the other brands run over $35/Sq.Ft. Those are out of the question. For that price I would rather have the plywood.

lled AMTICO which is the same product as Nu-Teak (the interior version). Cost was about $14 per square foot including adhesive. It was not an easy product but the results are worthwhile.

Before:
400563917.jpg

Finished:
401357500.jpg

400563914.jpg

Looks good. I've had the Amtico website bookmarked for quite a while now. I hear that Hatteras uses it exclusively for their cabin soles. How does it feel under foot?

Last edited:
lled AMTICO which is the same product as Nu-Teak (the interior version). Cost was about $14 per square foot including adhesive. It was not an easy product but the results are worthwhile.

Before:
400563917.jpg

Finished:
401357500.jpg

400563914.jpg

That is beautiful.You may have changed my mind on the flooring I use in my boat.I was planing to use some cheap no name composite stuff I found locally.

I had poor response from the Nu-Teak dealer that services my area (it's apparently a franchise and only one dealer per area) and I couldn't find teak and holly on the AMTICO website.

I eventually stumbled across this company

Welcome to TBYM | Tampa Bay Yacht MastersTampa Bay Yacht Masters

They could not sell me the Nu-Teak because they weren't allowed to sell to South Carolina, but they were able to sell me the AMTICO product (AMTICO apparently manufactures Nu-Teak, it's just rebranded) and the adhesive.

Call them, talk to Ron and tell him Ron sent you. ;)

Looks good. I've had the Amtico website bookmarked for quite a while now. I hear that Hatteras uses it exclusively for their cabin soles. How does it feel under foot?

It's only 1/8" or so thick so it feels like the floor underneath. You will want a solid and smooth floor to lay this on. Patch knots and screw holes.

It's not an easy job by any means because the strips are three feet long and you don't want the seams to line up. The teak is a great imitation of natural wood with color and grain variations so you have to keep that in mind also. I made three piles, dark, medium and light.

I cut starter pieces of varying lengths on both the teak and the holly. I also tried different layouts so my cutouts for the hatches would not fall close to the edge of a strip.

You can see in the photos, I went the extra mile and put a border with mitered corners around the field. This was extra work but I think it was worth it for the overall effect.

I made the baseboard moulding from mahogany lumber. You can see it in the cabin photo. It hadn't been installed yet in the others.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom