Planning a long hop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Kevin,
One thing we did to increase being seen was to add solar landscape lights around the boat. We picked up a box of six and put them in the rod holders around the boat when at anchor, but moved them behind the pilot house while underway at night. This really helped once south of the US border. AIS doesn’t work very well once you cross the border going south. Many times we wouldn’t get a signal until we were within a few miles of a transmitting boat, primarily small craft like us. The big commercial boats gave us plenty of time to take appropriate action, and that was our biggest concern. You’ll come across plenty of Pangas that dont even show up on radar or any running lights until your almost on top of them. But because we were lit up like a Christmas tree, almost always they would shine a flashlight towards us, thankfully they had flashlights. This is especially important with the long liners as they use black bouys with no lights to mark there sets. We saw plenty of 25-30 ft pangas 40+ miles offshore.
I’m sure some will say we were violating navigation rules of the road with the extra lights but we never had an issue from any officials. We did get calls on the VHF asking us what type of vessel we were, as they didn’t recognize the reason for the lights, and they didn’t have AIS,
Just a suggestion.

The voyage KS is going to take has a fair amount of other traffic that could pick him up if the unthinkable happens. Obviously KS known the risks to himself and is ok with that. I believe he posted here not to have his judgement brought into question, but to see if there was some way to do the trip that was less risk while single handing. That is good planning.

I recently had the opportunity to do another long delivery off the Wa/Or/Cal/Mex coasts of another fast cat. Middle of winter with all the factors was above what I am willing to subject myself to. To me the risks added up to a no in my book. People are singlehanding around the globe all the time, while it at times goes bad it is very rare.

With the right planning it is not a foolhardy event. In this day and age its good to see some still want to summit their personal "Everest".
HOLLYWOOD

The thought of taking a couple of 55 gallon drums of diesel -- around 500 pounds each -- isn't comfortable to me given potentially difficult sea conditions and actually refueling at sea won't be easy either.

So, either find someone else to go with you, or take a few power naps with your radar and AIS guard zones on.

I've never made a passage alone, but have done around 50,000 miles, much of it with only two people aboard. Things happen on passage and having a second person aboard is a good idea.

Jim

The thought of taking a couple of 55 gallon drums of diesel -- around 500 pounds each -- isn't comfortable to me given potentially difficult sea conditions and actually refueling at sea won't be easy either.

Ordinarily I'd agree. But in this case, he'd only need 2 drums at most. And he'd be able to do the fuel transfer after the short, easier first part of the trip to line up for the gulf crossing. So no worries about the weight or need to transfer once he starts across the gulf. Basically he'd be carrying what he'd burn on the first leg to enable a top-off before starting the longer leg, allowing faster running without range concerns.

As far as the singlehanding bit, I don't see an issue on this run. There are options for breaking it up, going faster, etc. to keep the running time manageable. I personally wouldn't singlehand it, but I generally don't enjoy singlehanding. I'd certainly put it down as "doable if I had a reason to".

This is clearly a two man crew trip. You can get away with all kinds of stuff as long as nothing goes wrong.

I've done that trip once each way with a 42' sailboat. I'd find someone to go with you. If something happens that requires your attention other than at the helm, another hand can be a life saver. The last time I crossed was August 2018 from Valdez to Cape Spencer. There was a lot of wood in the water. It's much easier to avoid problems at slower speeds. Icy Bay has a nice cove on the east side several miles from the mouth. Tidal currents tend to keep the ice on the western side of the bay, but I'd not try going in, in the dark. Have fun, it's a great trip.

I have made that trip backwards (sort of) but started in Juneau.

Kayak is only 100 miles from Montague. Kayak island is mostly sand and you can anchor on either side of it, including the little bay on the south. Once you leave there you can pull into Icy Bay for a rest if need be, which is a little less than 100 miles from Kayak
Just beware, those low pressure areas just seem to suck up into the Gulf around once per week.
Personally, I would keep her just below your hull speed (just before you start to dig a hole astern) which would give you good economy and good speed.

Have a good trip.

M

Short handed sailors often heave to when they need some sleep. On your passage I would have few worries about slowing down to idle, using the autopilot to keep on course, turn on the ais alarm and/or radar alarm and snooze for a couple of hours. If your idle speed is too fast for the boat, drag a couple of buckets off the stern to slow you down. Even better, if the winds and swell are very light and you don't mind the roll, let the boat lie beam on to the seas and try to sleep. If you drag a small sea anchor off the bow, a light wind would keep your bow into the waves.

You can't see logs at night anyhow.

In one book on designing self steering devices for sail boats, the author does an analysis on the probability of being run down when you are not on watch. Where you will be, there is a negligible probability compared to the other things that can hurt you.

I may be making a similar single handed run in the Sea of Cortez in late March. About 50 hours. When I need sleep i will slow down to idle (which is only about 2k for my trawler) and take a nap.

I once spoke to a singe handed sailor who sailed around the world non stop. He said that he would doze for 15mins, look around, and doze again. He told me that he could continue that night after night. He did not have radar and it was before AIS.

You did not say f you had two props or one. Safer with one prop WRT log bumps.

Have a grand adventure.

What I could do 10 or 20 years ago, I cant do today.

Been there and done that trip

Hi Kevin, you know that I’ve crossed that stretch of water a few times. Actually I’ve made that crossing FIVE times in our single screw vessels. I’m not going into my adventures and misadventures along the way, you know me! You’re one of the best technicians that I’ve ever known, and know that you’ve owned your vessel for many years. I have absolute faith in your ability to keep your ship running. I’ve seen that Gulf of Alaska in a few states of furry as well as calm as can be. My personal advice would be to take along a second set of eyes just to give you a little break once in a while. Totally unexpected weather is just the way it is in the Gulf of Alaska, there’s always gonna be some piece of crap in the water that you just missed running over! Normally I’d say I’d join you, but I can’t do it this year! Just remember that great old Alaskan saying “There’s Old and There’s Bold Pilots/Captians”. As I’ve gotten a bit older (al little bit of luck) I’m not quite as bold as I was in my younger years. Look me up when you get down to the PNW, let’s have a drink or two and tell some North Slope and Alaskan war stories.

Hi Kevin, you know that I’ve crossed that stretch of water a few times. Actually I’ve made that crossing FIVE times in our single screw vessels. I’m not going into my adventures and misadventures along the way, you know me! You’re one of the best technicians that I’ve ever known, and know that you’ve owned your vessel for many years. I have absolute faith in your ability to keep your ship running. I’ve seen that Gulf of Alaska in a few states of furry as well as calm as can be. My personal advice would be to take along a second set of eyes just to give you a little break once in a while. Totally unexpected weather is just the way it is in the Gulf of Alaska, there’s always gonna be some piece of crap in the water that you just missed running over! Normally I’d say I’d join you, but I can’t do it this year! Just remember that great old Alaskan saying “There’s Old and There’s Bold Pilots/Captians”. As I’ve gotten a bit older (al little bit of luck) I’m not quite as bold as I was in my younger years. Look me up when you get down to the PNW, let’s have a drink or two and tell some North Slope and Alaskan war stories.

You got it Rob!

I'll be in your area in late may or early June!

If you really just need spare eyes and some help, PM me. I think you are set on solo, and I need to be in Sidney start of May.

Last edited:
Kevin:

I've been much too busy lately and haven't had ANY spare time to spend on TF, so please forgive me if I missed the official announcement.

Inquiring minds want to know... are you now retired and heading south?

Warmest Regards,
Mrs. Pea Trombley

So, for those of you who are interested, Kevin is between Seward and Yakutat, almost to Yakutat. The seas are benevolent and everything is running smoothly. I would share his link but I don't have his permission to do so. His weather window is "most excellent" for his passage and everything is going more perfectly than could be expected. I am very jealous and hope that my passage will be as nice as his has been so far.

Solo voyaging. It has its merits and its beauty and as the OP has stated it is how he is doing this trip. May you have good fortune and safe seas! I applaud you.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom