Planning a long hop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thought about your trip some more, and here is the other side of the coin in my personal experience. When I was gearing up to bring my boat back from Hawaii last summer I wanted to do the trip with 3 people, but my insurance would not budge from requiring 4. I was kind of pissed about in and thought it was stupid. I didn't have a 4th person lined up, but ended up hearing through the grapevine at my marina that trawler forum member Divealot was interested in making the trip. I was nervous as I barely knew him, but it ended up working out amazing. It made the trip more relaxing having 4 people keeping watch, and I made a great friend out of the deal. I understand the desire to do the trip alone, but don't discount the adventure of meeting new friends along the way. Even if you brought someone along that was a disaster, it is only a couple days, and it will make a great story later.

Having figured out a way to make this unique leg of my voyage during daylight hours I have to say that I find it amazing that a significant number here still recommend that I do not do this alone.

If i were to follow the advice posted by some I would never do any cruising. Just sit at a dock and hire a captain to help me drive my own boat when necessary to do so.

I'm just guessing here that those good intentioned folks either do not have the confidence in their own skills yet, or are advanced in age to a point where this type of excursion is not feasible any more.

I am just turning 60, Physically fit, skilled enough to fix anything on my boat, and have many thousands of sea miles in this boat.

I would never even consider not making the trip myself.

Guys, I am going to have the time of my life!

Kevin I cannot speak for others but neither of the 2 situations described (lack of confidence in skill set or age) apply to me and were the reason for saying what I said about having someone along for the long (24 hour +/-) passage. I am just thinking what would provide a layer of comfort and safety to me and make the trip less stressful. Many people have crossed oceans in boats that probably should not have made it and skills that were not all that great. Luck plays a role in most situations in life and even the best prepared boat and captain sometimes have a bad outcome due to a sequence of unfortunate events.

I just know from my own experience that being alone if a problem occurs is not what I would chose if I could avoid it. I don't feel the need or see the value in making a solo trip vs. having someone along but that is just me. You are clearly set on doing this alone and I wish you all the best in the adventure. Most likely it will go smoothly and trouble free and the advice shared by all is good general knowledge we can all utilize.

Kevin - at the risk of having many tomatoes tossed your way, please keep posting with your experience single handing. This hop will not be your only long run, and won't be your longest as you steam to La Paz. I'll be interested to hear how it goes.

Best success. Very exciting for you to be inside of 100-days from departure.

Peter

I have to say I have also been very surprised by many of these comments. “Arrogant, rude, dangerous”. Cheez, come on guys.

I come from a long distance swimming and paddling background which included quite a few long solo paddles in a kayak with a bunch of power bars, H20, and a compass. I have also been on surf trips up and down Baja and the mainland Mex coast, as well as Asia. In some of these secluded areas we travelled, the threat of injury was a factor to deal with. We applied risk management to the things we could control, and then you hope for the best. I realize this stuff is not for everyone, but I loved every minute of it and have great memories.

I am also coming up on 60 years old, and after two shoulder surgeries and a crappy lower back, I cant do those type of trips anymore. The boat has allowed me to continue on with some form of adventure (often solo), mainly through access to the offshore Islands we have and water sports out there. I am not planning on super long trips like Kevin is, but I think its great. We are not getting younger, so get it while we can.

But, this is Kevins story not mine, and I am looking forward to hearing more about his adventure.

Last edited:
I have to say I have also been very surprised by many of these comments. “Arrogant, rude, dangerous”. Cheez, come on guys.

Couple items. First, the OP talked about a 24-hour run. That's different than where it ended at daylight hours only. Second, there are some longer runs further down the coast - sooner or later, good chance the OP will be faced with continuing on instead of stopping to catch a closing wx window. This stuff sounds easy on paper where you plot x-miles at y-speed, then try to overlay adverse tides and currents into available daylight hours. Sometimes it just makes sense to keep going and not stop. That option will not be safely available to the OP.

In the end, doing legs like this necessarily mean bending if not breaking the Nav Rules. Saying so is a matter of fact, not anything untoward.

Peter

Peter,

You are a very experienced skipper, but to call this action out as "arrogant and rude", which you did in an earlier post, is ridiculous. We all know Kevins background and what he has done to prepare for the trip. I think he can handle 24 to 27 hours on his boat on this longer solo run portion, and not die.

Let's keep it real. I will refer you back to my earlier post. The chances of being seriously injured or killed are much greater doing the drive from AK down the coast, then they are doing it solo on a boat.

As far as "arrogant and rude" is concerned, I would apply that to the thousands of boaters out there who write a check, and then drive too fast in congested waterways, and don't have a clue about what they are doing and make no effort to learn...I could go on.

I have said enough...Tapping out.

There is no darkness in Alaska in May, not even twilight, so no running in the dark. Kevin is very experienced, and he is an Alaskan who knows that if you wait until you have someone to go with you, you might never go. Up here, we do a lot of things alone and it becomes something we are used to. There's nothing special about it, nothing scary about it, it's just the way it is!

He is already used to fairly long transits single handing and spending a week at a time alone on his boat. The trip from his home port to the Inside Passage will be about the same amount of time as he normally is out in Prince William Sound multiple times in any normal summer.

For someone who seldom ventures more than a day from their home port and considers a week a very long time to be out it probably seems like a big deal. Kevin also has state of the art communications equipment on board, hopefully I will be close enough to him once in a while to piggy back off it while in Mexico :)

We who adventure know it's not always fun to be on the adventure, sometimes it's very challenging, and not very much "fun". But when it's over, there is a sense of accomplishment that no one running in a crowd will ever feel.

Well said, as a former resident of Alaska for 25 years I exactly understand and have no worries of Kevin or any other Alaskan undertaking that hop.

I tell people of some of my adventures and some are astonished that I did so many things solo. Absolutely would have been different adventures with company.

Go forth and Adventure!!

Nothing against Kevin. I agree - seems like an experienced boater, has great contributions, and I'd like nothing more than shoot the **** with him on the next bars tool over. And I can't wait to hear more about his trip. Inspirational to me as I am struggling to get out of the gate.

So for all you romantics who think experience is the key - that somehow you can power-up and keep alert through a 24-27 hour cycle, what happens if the autopilot craps out? Or the dinghy lashing parts? Or the fuel filters clog? Or you pickup a crab-pot that isn't solved by line cutters? Or an anchor davit breaks and the anchor breaks free? Or you lose expensive cushions over the side? Or you forgot to latch a cabinet or fridge and everything is launched onto the sole? Or one of the stuffing boxes is steaming water? What happens if you need to burn 3-hours doing a menial repair but that means you miss your bar crossing so either you cross at night or keep going? On CruisersForum there's an old-salt of a delivery skipper from Portugal who claims he does all his deliveries single-handed, and he professes to specialize in long-distance deliveries - setting aside insurance issues, how many of you would trust your boat where there are multiple 24-hour passages to a single-hander even, with plenty of experience?

You can ignore Hippocampus the Sailor as just another bloke on a boat, but how do you set aside Hippocampus the Medical Professional who gives decent insight into why capacity is severely diminished without sleep, and that happens much sooner than anyone imagines? Mind you, doctors are infamous for surviving long shift in residency.

These are real-world issues that are not solved by experience, they are solved by having at least a second crew aboard. "Arrogant and Rude" may be slightly hyperbolic, but only slightly. I don't think y'all have thought this through. Even without the Nav Rules.....

Peter

Last edited:
Hey Kevin,

Why the back side of Montague instead of a direct route from Seward to Kayak? Or Seward to Cape Spencer?

A friend of mine who just retired as a open ocean tug would tell me for long runs, he would stop, shut down the engine, turn on all the lights and go sleep for 6 hours or so. Wake up, make coffee and make his way.

Good luck my friend. We are 57 miles up river on the Columbia. My dock is yours if I am not here. If I am here we'll put you on the inside.

Don't forget to start a separate thread for the trip with pics. Please list you SPOT shared page so we can see were you are.

Sleep, that's the reason for inside Montague. Shorter line of travel inside to Zaikof Bay anchorage, fresh start in the morning or wait for a weather window that's more favorable. There are lots of anchorages inside and none on the outside.

Having figured out a way to make this unique leg of my voyage during daylight hours I have to say that I find it amazing that a significant number here still recommend that I do not do this alone.

If i were to follow the advice posted by some I would never do any cruising. Just sit at a dock and hire a captain to help me drive my own boat when necessary to do so.

I'm just guessing here that those good intentioned folks either do not have the confidence in their own skills yet, or are advanced in age to a point where this type of excursion is not feasible any more.

I am just turning 60, Physically fit, skilled enough to fix anything on my boat, and have many thousands of sea miles in this boat.

I would never even consider not making the trip myself.

Guys, I am going to have the time of my life!

:horse::horse::horse::horse::horse:

I don't normally use the emojis but felt this needed one.

I recognized on my first post of the thread you'd dismissed the idea of crew so went to a recommendation of the safest way to do without. More fuel, faster run, and an easy daylight run.

To the detractors, I don't disagree with them but the issue was long ago put to bed. I also think where they consider something dangerous, they have the obligation since this is a public forum to express that, not just for you but for others who may read. When Richard sailed off to Europe alone, I expressed that and single handing put him in serious danger.

This isn't an overnight trip, although the first post showed it as such. It's easy to know the weather window. Its a trip that can be made single handed safely by an experienced boater like Kevin over 99% of the time. I think you shouldn't have a problem. Is it dangerous? More so than if he had crew but not highly dangerous. Is Kevin arrogant? Oh I'm not going near that one. Is he rude in saying he's doing it his way? I didn't see that.

I spent most of my time from the age of 13 to 30 single handling on the lake. I have never done so on the coast or in the ocean. However, I have the convenience of a wife who loves boating as I do. I also have paid staff and crew. I don't even allow paid captains to single hand from Fort Lauderdale to Palm Beach for service. That's a luxury I have that everyone doesn't have or want. I was a loner prior to meeting my wife. Easy for me to say I'd never do it alone but had I not boated alone when a teenager or in my 20's on the lake, I'd never have built my love of boating.

The risk isn't the weather or seas or length of the crossing. The risk is something happens to either Kevin or the boat that requires another. The odds of that are extremely small on this crossing and because he's familiar with the area and starting fresh, likely less than on many other shorter legs of his planned adventure. I've covered the entirety of his planned trip. If I was there and had a boat in my pre-marriage days and no one to make the trip with me, at least no one I wanted to do so, then what would I do? I'd make it. My love of boating would drive me to do so. Would I cross the Atlantic or Pacific alone? No. Would I sleep while under propulsion and moving? No. But what I could do on daylight runs, I'd do, even recognizing that there's that small chance I'd become a rescue. He's not considering it lightly, perhaps stubbornly, but even there his choices aren't great. So, he gets someone for this day. What about every other day? Is Neah Bay to Westport any less risky? Perhaps as it's nearer to CG for rescues.

In an ideal world, he'd have someone with him, but he doesn't and he doesn't have that option for the entirety of the trip. I think he understands the risks and he's done what he can to mitigate them. He's done everything possible short of another person. If I was going to hire a captain to join me for only one leg of the trip, this wouldn't be it. It would be a Mexican captain for the run from Ensenada to Cabo San Lucas and to help with fueling by Panga or at rickety fuel dock.

So, now let's follow and when he talks of future legs, let's offer support and advice and where it makes sense that can include advising him to get someone to make it with him. However, when he says he's not doing that, our choices are either to help with another idea or to say we can't support what he's doing and bow out after stating that.

Kevin, I do worry about you in parts of your adventure. To those criticizing, I also say I hear you and agree with much of it and then to Kevin, just use it to redefine your approach. You did so here by eliminating any darkness and shortening the run to a more manageable time frame. They naysayers may be annoying, but they helped drive you to a better plan for this leg. There will be other legs you'll need them to assist on as well.

Hey Kevin,

A friend of mine who just retired as a open ocean tug would tell me for long runs, he would stop, shut down the engine, turn on all the lights and go sleep for 6 hours or so. Wake up, make coffee and make his way.

The best advice in this thread so far.

this morning I woke up at 0600.

I will report to work at the power company at 1830 for a 12 hour shift and will work alone all night.

If things go as planned tonight will be easy, just coast through another night shift.

But at a moments notice I could be in a situation where multiple things have failed. Stress will increase to a extreme level. Mistakes will literally cost lives.

This might seem like a big deal to someone that works 8-5.

But to me, and to many in similar life health safety jobs it is just a days work.

I do not even need to name the jobs where this is normal, but there are many. The people behind the scenes that normal folks do not think about.

I know that all the studies show this kind of work is dangerous and difficult, and that "experts" on the subject say we cannot stay up and be functional.

Yet despite all the experts opinions we get the work done anyway.

It's called a "dupont" schedule. The industry standard for jobs that require staffing 24X7X365 with the least number of people.

Nurses, doctors, Firefighters, 911 dispatchers, police, and yes, the person that keeps your lights on at night at the power company, just to name a few.

Tomorrow I will sleep all day. But tonight I am on duty, and my community is depending on my ability to get the job done safely.

Last edited:
Come at this from the other side. Having done single handed passages and worked all my life with a call schedule including every other. Will note I’m a doc, wife’s a RN, have family who is a firefighter and friends who are police officers. The work rules for all these professions have changed. Often dictated by law. What occurred in the past is no longer allowed. The risk of sleep deprivation has been recognized for them and pilots or truckers. Approximately 1/3 of the salaried work force are shift workers. Not all are in critical life and death jobs. Even for those folks the work rules have changed. Impetus was worker safety not because they were in some form of critical life and death decision making work . Would note working a 12 or even a double (2 back to back 8s which my wife did on occasion) isn’t like singling with potentially no opportunity for recovery sleep. Let’s talk about having the AP broken needing to hand steer while you’re in weather and then having something else needing urgent attention. Then having that occur for several days in a row. Whole different kettle of fish than shift work. Fortunately this thread doesn’t pose that scenario.

Have done passages much longer than contemplated here by myself. Sometimes by choice other times when crew went down.
Vessels were prepped to foresee potential failures to the extent feasible.

Appropriate comment was made about AP failure. Even with crew this can be a major catastrophe. My vessels had the redundancy of both wind vane and AP. Could thereby steer could either occur but also in the absence of a electrical source. Most ocean races require a way to steer (not using drogues) independent of the main steering gear. Both Hydrovane and Monitor windvanes allow this to occur. Point being for key systems regardless of single or crewed power or sail you need the same attitude as a pilot and have played the “what if” game. You should be totally satisfied you have made a plan to the extent feasible for any system failure and know you can execute that plan. Sure you won’t auger in but that attitude will keep you alive.

Was invited last week to crew St.Lucia to Azores. So I’m old and have my aches but age isn’t an obstacle. Became friendly with a couple on a sister ship. At that time (6y ago) he was in his early 80’. she in her late 70’s. They had taken on a younger crew in his fifties as they felt he was better suited to go up the mast.

OP sounds like a honest competent guy. He appropriately in his OP and title called this a long hop. I don’t know those waters. I don’t know his boat. I don’t know his skill set. So I don’t know risks involved. This maybe a walk in the park. Don’t know. I do understand his motivation having shared it.

Still, personally think singling carries risk. Main one is inability to carry out your failsafe plans or utilize your redundancies. That extra person alleviates much of those concerns. That’s why I suggested carrying crew. Allows rest. Allows a second pair of hands or to fetch necessary things for repair. Allows redundancy if you get sick or hurt. Makes activities of daily living so much easier. Not stressing when you need to go to the head or cook or do an activity that takes you away from the helm.

So on one side you have the satisfaction of doing it alone. And a great satisfaction it is. On the other risk and stress. Than the various made made issues such as insurance and regs. Personally disagree about the need for highly skilled, greatly experienced crew who you’ve known forever. Should an issue occur they just need to have a brain and be able to listen and follow instructions. I have a card by the helm. Basic colregs , lights and sound signals. Of course one wants someone fully competent and with extensive experience. But even such a newbie would have a big impact on improving your quality of life, your safety and lower your stress. Yes, it’s a judgment call as to whether singling is worth it and only you can make it

Last edited:
Kevin, enjoy your trip. Try to prepare well in advance and you’ll get through almost all of it just fine. So many overnight runs ourselves and enjoyed them all, except one. But we got through it and have stories to tell for a lifetime. Keep up the faith in yourself, and remember your never really alone. After you do your first couple of night runs your gonna say, ‘What’s the big deal”! We had a fantastic trip of a lifetime over many years and not one regret at all. I’d like to think it made us better people as it will most likely do the same for you.
Please keep posting your progress and take lots of pics of this journey.
Cheers Buddy, John

OMG, it's time to let it go! Kevin wants to do this; he's capable of doing it; if you can't be supportive of his choice, just say nothing. All the counter points have been brought up and discussed.

There nothing wrong with doing adventurous activities by yourself. You assess the risk and you make your choice. There's not one of you naysayers that wouldn't be safer on land never to boat again. But you rationalize that by doing this or that, bringing along a supporting cast, or just limiting where you go, that you have some how reduced the risk to a reasonable level, for you. Well guess what, that's what Kevin has done.

Regarding crew:
I spent decades doing advanced level technical scuba diving. We would sometimes go more than a mile into water filled caves. There were very few people I would do that with. Why? Because buddies, crew, or friends generally fall into one of two categories Assets or Liabilities. Several have mentioned taking on one or more crew that he's never met, or boated with. How is Kevin better off if his crew has a known but hidden health issue, has a heart attack or stroke on the trip, is a substance abuser, falls overboard while Kevin is asleep, or is suicidal? It seems to me that for the level of the trip Kevin is undertaking, the risk of a liability crew member may be greater than going solo.

Ted

OMG, it's time to let it go! Kevin wants to do this; he's capable of doing it; if you can't be supportive of his choice, just say nothing. All the counter points have been brought up and discussed.

There nothing wrong with doing adventurous activities by yourself. You assess the risk and you make your choice. There's not one of you naysayers that wouldn't be safer on land never to boat again. But you rationalize that by doing this or that, bringing along a supporting cast, or just limiting where you go, that you have some how reduced the risk to a reasonable level, for you. Well guess what, that's what Kevin has done.

Regarding crew:
I spent decades doing advanced level technical scuba diving. We would sometimes go more than a mile into water filled caves. There were very few people I would do that with. Why? Because buddies, crew, or friends generally fall into one of two categories Assets or Liabilities. Several have mentioned taking on one or more crew that he's never met, or boated with. How is Kevin better off if his crew has a known but hidden health issue, has a heart attack or stroke on the trip, is a substance abuser, falls overboard while Kevin is asleep, or is suicidal? It seems to me that for the level of the trip Kevin is undertaking, the risk of a liability crew member may be greater than going solo.

Ted

Well said Ted.
Lots of Recliner Captains with opinions in this world.

All you need is someone who can steer a course or someone who can watch the auto pilot attend to the course.
If there are any problems, to wake you, quickly.

Many have written about all the what if's.
Kevin has obviously thought through this and is ok with the possible risks.
He has shown through his posts here on TF that he is a planner and problem solver.
If he goes out and has an issue he has put himself in the situation and didn't take anybody else along on his adventure, its all his risk.
If Man worried about all the what if's we would never have gotten anywhere, never made it to the poles.. never stepped foot on the moon.. never dived to the abyss.
A good friend of mine died recently instantly of a aortic aneurysm, he was a amazing blue water sailor.. had his 70th birthday 200 miles North of the Aleutians double handing non stop from Japan to Alaska. He was planning his next big bluewater adventure, he was 79.

My point is step out of the norm, a life on the edge is a life well lived.
Go for it Kevin, mitigate the risks as much as possible.. have a ball.
HOLlYWOOD

Far from me to comment on the waters you plan to cruise in as others have far more experience, personally I favour Retrievers approach.
All I would say is to get in the rhythm of mother nature and use whatever tides that are beneficial to you.
I've done many 24/30 hour long trips single handed in a displacement boat and been called a 'fool' or something similar, or 'you were just ruddy lucky to get there', what those people don't see is the meticulous research and forward planning.
Personal preparation is also very important.
Take a laxative 24 hrs before you go and then only eat low fibre food until the trips over.
Search around camping/survival shops for self heating cans of food and packets of soup, forget plates etc, dump it in a bowl and use a spoon. Forget washing up, it all goes down the same way. Keep a tin of your favourite fruit and eat in in the last 6 hours before landfall as not only is it tasty but the juice will give you an energy boost and keep you alert.
Buy a wide necked bottle with a twist cap, then you can relieve yourself and pour it overboard.
Make up flasks of boiling water at every opportunity, for powdered soups or military MRE's if you can get your hands on them. Not only for handiness but also a hot meal or drink is a great moral booster. A few chocolate bars will give you an energy boost during the latter part of your journey.
Strictly regulate your food and drink intake.
Make sure you have light tinted sunglasses because even if its overcast they will help to relieve your eye strain.
Maybe you find my approach crude but I can assure you it has served me well over the years. There's are slang sayings in Ireland that describe determined people like us, we're called 'thick' 'thran' or 'f****g eejit'
But we've walked the walk brother, others talk the talk.
I wish you all the best of Irish good luck and calm seas when you make your trip.

Last edited:
Please understand as said above have done a fair amount of singling including what most would consider passage not long hop. My only desire in this thread was to make anyone reading this thread the risks involved and need for planning. Although relevant I also sought to dispel various misperceptions about the impact of sleep deprivation.

Understand I’m swimming against the current on this thread. But object to “it’s all his risk”. Believe this is not true.
If involved in a collision it’s not all his risk.
If he runs aground and spills diesel it’s not all his risk.
If he maydays it’s not all his risk.

I’m fairly libertarian about most things but truly believe singlhanding in a coastal or near shore situation incurs risk to others. Singling >200nm offshore carries much less risk to others. He’s contemplating a long hop not a passage so in my humble opinion carries definite risk to others.

Understand I’m swimming against the current on this thread. But object to “it’s all his risk”. Believe this is not true.
If involved in a collision it’s not all his risk.
If he runs aground and spills diesel it’s not all his risk.
If he maydays it’s not all his risk.

I’m fairly libertarian about most things but truly believe singlhanding in a coastal or near shore situation incurs risk to others. Singling >200nm offshore carries much less risk to others. He’s contemplating a long hop not a passage so in my humble opinion carries definite risk to others.

You raise an interesting point. A long time ago you were younger and at the top of your game. But now you're not. Considering your advanced age, slower reaction time, probably poorer eye sight, probably poorer hearing, possible health conditions your not aware of, and as a result lower situational awareness, should you stop boating because of the remotely possible risk you might pose to others? Do you still drive a car in traffic or on the interstate?

Ted

4000 nms to La Paz - the Great Loop is only half again longer at 6000nms. How many of the 'just-do-it' posters have either (a) done this route; or (b) checked the charts to at least get an inkling of distances between ports/anchorages, and the relative dearth of all-weather ports? Along the OR/CA coast, there are several 80-100 nm stretches with nothing. Once you pass Ensenada, there are a couple fishing villages and that's it for 800 nms to Cabo. I forget the distance to La Paz (around 175 nms), and while there are some condos along the beach, there isn't much in the way of anchorages, though its more hospitable than the Pacific Baja coastline.

A VHF and Cell Phone are useless. SSB/Sat would get a message, but getting it routed to someone/anyone within actual range could take a day or two. And then there is the language barrier.

I see a lot of chatter in this thread about staying awake for the planned passage. Challenge is planned passage time could easily double or more. Of the 4000 nms planned roughly 40% will be remote with limited options. That ain't happening with one person.

I wish Kevin and anyone else good luck. I mentioned early in the thread that some sort of drogue/chute would be handy. Someone else mentioned that fishermen do something similar and light-up their decks. For under $1000, you'd have a crude Plan B if needed. Given the entire coastline is a lee-shore in prevailing weather conditions, makes sense.

Peter

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post

I second that motion, @koliver. I can live productively on 6 hours sleep a night with an occasional afternoon catnap. That's been the routine here at work for a year+ while we have been in processing phase. But trying to go days or a week straight with 1 hour "power naps" is a recipe for fatigue and disaster. I tried it once for 3 days straight out in open ocean and would not like to repeat it.

I would add to the tug captain's statement would be to hang your boat off a parachute to keep the nose into the waves and reduce the awful rolling that most powerboats experience when adrift. I like that idea of installing many powerful deck flood lights as well. A class A AIS sending a signal of NUC (under "destination") would also be a plus, as it may be difficult to see your nav and signal lights with all the floods.

OC
Eyesight- I use AIS and radar. Need to be nearly no light perception to have collision issues. Real risk is junk n the water. Have found having two aboard with ones major job being keeping an eye out is way more instrumental in avoidance than minor issues with presbyopia.
Hearing- do an annual hearing test (wife as well). So far so good.
Reaction time- believe major issue is processing time before action. Experience allows you to be calm, know what to do and do it efficiently. I’m not dragging a knee on a race course. To date not an issue.
Three factors you don’t mention are cognition, strength and dexterity. Yes dexterity has decreased. Very careful with tool selection and installations to limit impact.
Strength - yes strength has decreased. When in my early thirties learned ocean sailing unde the direction of our towns librarian. She was in her late 60s and a wee little thing. This was before powered winches, in mast or in boom furling. She said “if it’s hard to do you’re doing it wrong”. Both sail and power requires very modest strength. Real issue is coordination, balance and cognition. Fortunately those remain intact.
Cognition- think this is the under considered and real limiting inescapable limitation in boating. Fortunately choose the right parents so still smarter than the average bear (go yogi).

The reason we gave up international sailboat cruising was the wife fractured her ankle in three places. Since then the subtleties to maintain balance on a pitching foredeck has been impaired. She’s not as safe out there in a seaway. But haven’t swallowed the anchor and don’t intend to for quite some time. Given we’re mom/pop have changed our cruising. Things like instead of our past practice of going straight across mass bay and gulf of Maine now will stop in Gloucester for sleep. New England is fortunate. Unlike what Peter describes there’s an excellent harbor every 10-20 miles or so. You nearly always have the choice of the shorter, faster near shore route or true coastal hugging the coast. Then anchoring without leaving the boat which doesn’t add that much to the journey. Find on the east coast the long hops are modest. With two even Georgia or NJ aren’t a big deal. Don’t like the AICW so intend to continue to go outside whenever we can.

Last edited:
After nearly 40 years of boating I always remind myself when making these sort of cruising decisions how much I am being paid to make the delivery.

If I am not being paid then I am doing it for fun, and if does not look like a fun trip then change whatever is necessary to turn into a fun adventure.
My last long potential solo trip I decided to bring three fellow boater and pay the cost with getting them back home. That we an adventure we all still talk about.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom