Old 01-31-2017, 06:51 PM   #1

City: Chesapeake, VA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: 1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
Converting V Berth to Rectangular Bed

GB 32 is my boat, wondering if anyone has converted a v-berth to a normal mattress shape? Experiences? Good idea?

Thanks
kurt.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:59 PM   #2

City: Anacortes
Vessel Name: Salish Nomad
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt.reynolds View Post
GB 32 is my boat, wondering if anyone has converted a v-berth to a normal mattress shape? Experiences? Good idea?

Thanks
We would like to do the same. Hopefully there will be some interesting responses.
Salish Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 11:30 PM   #3
Guru

City: Bayview
Vessel Name: Puffin
Vessel Model: Willard Vega 30
I have measured, drawn, made cardboard cutouts, pondered and scratched my chin to no avail. It's just too narrow at the forward end and the locker and head walls make it too short aft for anything to work. Taking out the head and locker just doesn't seem like a good option.

We actually considered enclosing the cockpit as a stateroom and putting in a door on the starboard side.....still on the table.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:03 AM   #4
Memorial Member

City: Lafayette,LA
Vessel Name: Evangeline
Vessel Model: 35" Flybridge Sedan Senator
That was a factor in our last search that ended with the 35" Senator. No V berth, I'm too tall. however the forward (only) state room queen bed has the front corners cut down some. It still works fine and the installation allows for a lot of storage drawers under the bed.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:15 AM   #5
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Knowing the IG32 and the GB similarities I couldn`t see it happening. Doubt it would work on a twin cabin GB 36, or IG36 2 cabin. They are made tight to get 2 cabins in.
My IG 36 is a single cabin with semi walkaround bed. Odd, but someone recently looked at converting it to a 2 cabin. Too hard.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 02:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: chattanooga tn
We change our former boat bow from a V to a marine queen. I was a Meridian 368. The level of the bed rose one and one feet to get to a wider space. Cost a lot to make it nice looking, but I do not think we could have sold it easily. It was basically for kids only. We bought a Californian with the queen already in place
obenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 04:13 PM   #7

City: Jarrettsville, MD.
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 30' Rumrunner
KR,
Take a look at the 30' Mainship Pilot II Rum runner from 2003 to 2008 on yacht world. Mainship installed a folding bed that is hinged and folded in two. You may be able to use this design on the GB depending on the measurements. Just a thought. Pretty good use of space.
jskinner30PII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:30 PM   #8

City: Chesapeake, VA
Vessel Name: Grace
Vessel Model: 1982 Grand Banks Motoryacht
Thanks Everyone, a big help and some options to investigate.

Kurt
kurt.reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 07:31 PM   #9
Guru

City: Thibodaux, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Gumbo
Vessel Model: 2003 Monk 36
I have seen some owners put a filler (Plywood and mattress) across the open space to make a bigger area to sleep on.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:58 AM   #10
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
I have measured, drawn, made cardboard cutouts, pondered and scratched my chin to no avail..
That seems like the logical thing to do. Make a template of a standard bed (there are actually several "standard sizes") and see if it fits. Remember to leave room to actually get in and out of the bed.

Now let's think about this - If a standard bed would have fit in the space, that's probably what the manufacturer would have put in there in the first place.

Every boat is a compromise and a V berth is a compromise to use the least space and allow extra space for other things like the galley or head.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:21 AM   #11
FF
Guru

"Every boat is a compromise and a V berth is a compromise to use the least space and allow extra space for other things like the galley or head."

Fitted sheets are low cost and easier to put on than climbing up to a bigger square bed.

Most folks are wider at the shoulders than at the feet, so why give your feet space removed from the boat?
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:33 AM   #12
Guru

City: Beaverton, Ontario
Vessel Name: Looking Glass
Vessel Model: Carver 370 Voyager
We were recently at the Toronto boat show and there was a mattress company there that made custom boat mattresses, coil springs, not foam, any shape or size and could hinge the mattress in the middle. Looked great.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:07 AM   #13
Guru

City: North Charleston, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBomba View Post
We were recently at the Toronto boat show and there was a mattress company there that made custom boat mattresses, coil springs, not foam, any shape or size and could hinge the mattress in the middle. Looked great.
There are several companies that do that. Look at the ads in the back of PassageMaker Magazine or do a web search.

Still, you're limited to what will actually fit in the space on your boat.
rwidman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:33 AM   #14
Guru

City: AR
Fwiw.... On my boats, lamps were mounted on the bulkhead at the aft end of the v-berth. It took me a while to realize they were reading lamps, put there because your head belongs at that end. There's plenty of room for two pairs of feet at the bow end and bulkheads at the aft end provide support to sit up and read...or watch the tv you've put in the bow.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 09:48 AM   #15
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Second the comments re: filling the space between the berths. Our 38' sailboat has that in a small degree. We made boards to span between the salon berths/bench seats in our smaller 27' sailboat. (Referred to as our SFB's (supplemental f**kin' boards.)

Look around at other similar length-challenged boats for ideas; someone's surely done it.
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:38 AM   #16
Veteran Member

City: Hampton
Vessel Name: Saltwater Taffy
Vessel Model: Silverton 43
Be careful about what you wish for.

A true "V" berth is easy to get in and out of and easy to make it up for sleeping with sheets, etc. A "V" that has had a filler in the space in-between now become much harder to get in and out of and to make it up for sleeping. It usually requires you to get into the bunk to fit the sheets under the peak and sides, etc. Having had a boat with the entire forepeak as a berth, I used to refer to getting out as the "V berth double back-flip". The fully encased "V" is better for snuggling, etc., but you can find good work arounds for those purposes in conventional "V" berths. As they say, "Everything on a boat is a compromise".
Paul M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 10:56 AM   #17
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
Be careful about what you wish for.

A true "V" berth is easy to get in and out of and easy to make it up for sleeping with sheets, etc. A "V" that has had a filler in the space in-between now become much harder to get in and out of and to make it up for sleeping. It usually requires you to get into the bunk to fit the sheets under the peak and sides, etc. Having had a boat with the entire forepeak as a berth, I used to refer to getting out as the "V berth double back-flip". The fully encased "V" is better for snuggling, etc., but you can find good work arounds for those purposes in conventional "V" berths. As they say, "Everything on a boat is a compromise".
The solution is SO simple...it just requires a little creativity: Make (or have made) 2-3 fitted sheets just for the center cushion. Make up each side and drop it in. That makes it possible to remove the center cushion before getting out of bed. Top sheets and blankets don't have to be tucked, just large enough to all the body parts that need covering .You can stuff the edges between the mattress and hull on each side to keep in place if either of you is a restless enough sleeper to warrant it. Socks keep feet warm.

Or...you COULD just zip a couple of sleeping bags together...unzip each side to get out of bed...roll 'em up and stick 'em behind pillows to "make" the bed in the morning. However, this may only be a cold weather solution.
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:05 AM   #18

City: Norfolk, VA
Vessel Model: Bayliner 3870
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
Most folks are wider at the shoulders than at the feet, so why give your feet space removed from the boat?
Personally I view it not so much as more room for the feet, but (and I'm assuming ) that the style of bed being talked about would allow easier access into and out of.
cool beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 06:02 PM   #19
Guru

City: Philadelphia, PA
Vessel Name: Revel
Vessel Model: 1984 Fu Hwa 39
Second the comment re: harder to get out of a filled V berth. I added grab handles to the overhead in the sailboat. Few V's actually have much space available to make them in comfort anyway.

Our center double does not offer easy footing alongside for making it up.

That's what flexible crewmates are for!
DHeckrotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:29 AM   #20
FF
Guru

Remember any berth for two folks may eventually require a "bundeling board" as folks of different mass are moved differently when its Rock & Roll time.

On sailboats its easier as usually folks can wedge against the board and part of the boat.

On a motor boat that has no heeling bias only narrowing the bunk with pillows or clothes will give a nights sleep underway in less than calm conditions.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote