A Piece of Butedale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In regards to pulling up to a yacht club dock and becoming a “temporary member,” for the two Seattle-based clubs that I have been a member of (Seattle Yacht Club currently and Tyee Yacht Club formerly), there isn’t any such practice.

There are reciprocal agreements between many clubs, of course, but these agreements are for guest dockage at the club’s primary facility only.

Again, practices vary between regions, apparently. I think this forum helps us enlarge our views on the greater boating community.

With folks from other countries buying up all the properties around Vancouver B.C. for taxes you would think some of those folks would buy into a property like Butedale.

With folks from other countries buying up all the properties around Vancouver B.C. for taxes you would think some of those folks would buy into a property like Butedale.
Good grief, where do you find this stuff?
You can shut me up, by providing credible sources and links, which support this outrageous comment.

For the folks from other areas that talk about developing Butedale: there is no land access at all. People who are from the populous area of BC (or from WA state) who cruise by will have had to cross Cape Caution in open ocean for about 40 miles. Butedale is about 200 nm from Port McNeill on northern Vancouver Island, a popular jumping off spot. Comparatively very very few do. Yes it’s beautiful, yes there could be electricity and water, but there aren’t enough people to stay there and make it work.

Yes, Butedale is on the “marine highway.” I have been up and down there. I seldom saw more than 5 boats in a day. It’s just a matter of scale...

I expect that's what the sellers are hoping for. They have obviously figured out they otherwise own a white elephant.

You can shut me up, by providing credible sources and links, which support this outrageous comment.

I don't know about the "for taxes" part, but my friends from Vancouver have been complaining for years about foreign buyers snapping up everything at any price, then leaving the property vacant. There was even a law passed recently that restricted such purchases, though I don't know anything about the details. The rational I heard was that it was wealthy Asians doing everything they could to move money out of China.

There was even a law passed recently that restricted such purchases, though I don't know anything about the details.

Both a foreign buyer’s property transfer tax and a vacant home tax have been implemented in parts of BC, as well as Alberta. I believe WA and other jurisdictions have adopted similar measures.

The restrictions here apply to all foreign owners not just “Asian,” although that has been a huge source of offshore money, both clean and dirty.

It certainly hasn’t been a fire sale on “all the properties around Vancouver B.C.” and certainly not “for taxes.”
Much of the foreign purchases around Vancouver, for a number of years went for more than asking.

In regards to pulling up to a yacht club dock and becoming a “temporary member,” for the two Seattle-based clubs that I have been a member of (Seattle Yacht Club currently and Tyee Yacht Club formerly), there isn’t any such practice.

There are reciprocal agreements between many clubs, of course, but these agreements are for guest dockage at the club’s primary facility only.

Again, practices vary between regions, apparently. I think this forum helps us enlarge our views on the greater boating community.

Didn't mean to suggest those clubs did that. Just many in other areas do.

For the folks from other areas that talk about developing Butedale: there is no land access at all. People who are from the populous area of BC (or from WA state) who cruise by will have had to cross Cape Caution in open ocean for about 40 miles. Butedale is about 200 nm from Port McNeill on northern Vancouver Island, a popular jumping off spot. Comparatively very very few do. Yes it’s beautiful, yes there could be electricity and water, but there aren’t enough people to stay there and make it work.

Yes, Butedale is on the “marine highway.” I have been up and down there. I seldom saw more than 5 boats in a day. It’s just a matter of scale...

The only chance I can see is to find someone like the guy who runs the Toba marina. One very resourceful guy, very nice but spartan facility, charges top dollar, very low overhead. Someone like that might make a go of it, but it would be more of a hobby or labor of love than a get rich quick scheme. And it is a LOT more remote than Toba.

The only chance I can see is to find someone like the guy who runs the Toba marina. One very resourceful guy, very nice but spartan facility, charges top dollar, very low overhead. Someone like that might make a go of it, but it would be more of a hobby or labor of love than a get rich quick scheme. And it is a LOT more remote than Toba.

Agreed, but I think you'd have to start off way south of $4m. I'd stick to my original $100k token purchase price, followed by a labor of love to share the place with others, hopefully capture and present the history, and maybe break-even along the way. And I think the water and power rights are pretty much worthless. Powering any facility will be much cheaper with brute force diesel generators vs building a hydro plant. The hydro plant I think would only make sense on a much larger scale, but there is nobody to sell the power to, and anyway to get it to them if they did want it. Same with the water. I think the best possible outcome is a quaint outpost with a walk or two and some interesting, well presented history.

Yet others have verified. I also have friends who live in Vancouver who have first hand knowledge.

So stop attacking and move on. You can now put your balls back in the closet.

No one is likely to buy butedale to sell services to boaters. Makes no financial sense. It is more likely that some one will buy it and make it off limits to boaters. There has been a trend of late were remote commercial properties have been acquired and then removed from public service to solely support a few very wealthy people. The days of the Nordstrom family buying places like Dent Island and sharing it with well to do boaters to reduce costs appear to be morphing into several rich families buying something and only sharing it among them selves.

On the other hand back in the early 1900’s some developer built a grand 5 star resort on Malibu Pt at the end of Princess Louise Inlet. Think about it, Malibu Pt was probably more remote back then than Butedale is now, so anything is possible. Anybody know what happened to that 5 star hotel?

Agreed, but I think you'd have to start off way south of $4m. I'd stick to my original $100k token purchase price, followed by a labor of love to share the place with others, hopefully capture and present the history, and maybe break-even along the way. And I think the water and power rights are pretty much worthless. Powering any facility will be much cheaper with brute force diesel generators vs building a hydro plant. The hydro plant I think would only make sense on a much larger scale, but there is nobody to sell the power to, and anyway to get it to them if they did want it. Same with the water. I think the best possible outcome is a quaint outpost with a walk or two and some interesting, well presented history.

I will toss in another $100 US so now your offer is over $200 total.

No one is likely to buy butedale to sell services to boaters. Makes no financial sense. It is more likely that some one will buy it and make it off limits to boaters. There has been a trend of late were remote commercial properties have been acquired and then removed from public service to solely support a few very wealthy people. The days of the Nordstrom family buying places like Dent Island and sharing it with well to do boaters to reduce costs appear to be morphing into several rich families buying something and only sharing it among them selves.

On the other hand back in the early 1900’s some developer built a grand 5 star resort on Malibu Pt at the end of Princess Louise Inlet. Think about it, Malibu Pt was probably more remote back then than Butedale is now, so anything is possible. Anybody know what happened to that 5 star hotel?

I think it turned into a youth camp?

Last edited:
I think it turned into a camp for young men? Church group?

Yes, it closed down in 1950 and was sold for $300,000 to the Young Life organization, after being listed for $1,000,000. It is now totally private and boaters are not welcome to stop in. This is not a knock on the Young Life group. They did invite me to take a tour of the facilities. Their mission wouldn’t blend well with providing services for boaters.

Yeah same here. They offered a tour and we jumped on it. Nice folks.

Exactly. This will more likely turn into another supervillain lair.

Just missing a volcano. MTYxMjc3NDQzMzMwODc3NDA0~2.jpeg

Yet others have verified. I also have friends who live in Vancouver who have first hand knowledge. So stop attacking and move on. You can now put your balls back in the closet.

ASD, in your 8 years and 6,000+ posts, I’ve found few links or comments about WA or OR. Yet you have an insatiable habit of searching for BC tidbits, creating your own, often negative, facts and publishing stuff like you know what you are talking about.

Having the opportunity to publicly correct misleading pieces is helpful. If someone’s made an honest mistake that’s fine. If someone is just trolling and throwing out unfounded hearsay and misinformation, you just need to call them out.

ASD, in your 8 years and 6,000+ posts, I’ve found few links or comments about WA or OR. Yet you have an insatiable habit of searching for BC tidbits, creating your own, often negative, facts and publishing stuff like you know what you are talking about.

Having the opportunity to publicly correct misleading pieces is helpful. If someone’s made an honest mistake that’s fine. If someone is just trolling and throwing out unfounded hearsay and misinformation, you just need to call them out.

So you don't like my post. I disagree with you. So what. Move on. No need to get personal.

Perhaps some one or organization will buy it, and sadly go belly up as they try to improve and rebuild the area.

Absent $$$$ It would be a fun place to be.

Torn between saving the space for wilderness or for development. Crusty did see and get a pic of a "Spirit Bear" right next to them.

Back
Top Bottom