Picking a size of Vessel.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keoki

Vessel Name
Kai Lani
Vessel Make
Silverton 392
Hello and thank you all for your info as my wife and I start to plan our future
trawler.

I am an experienced boater, USCG 50t Captain's lic. with a few years mating. I've delivered vessels to include sizes up to a 48' Hatteras but have never owned or marina maintained/kept anything larger than a 25' Parker 2510WA.

One question that has surfaced is what size vessel would be the most economically and live aboard friendly. We have 2 older teenage boys
who will be part of our crew but probably not for our Great Loop retirement plans. I'm aware of the height restrictions of a Great Loop challenge. We'd like to own a vessel for long term live aboard, grandparenting, (if lucky enough) but more like a 2nd waterfront vacation home. I am currently in the military with plans to retire in about 3 years and have access to Langley AFB's marina with a size limitation of 47'. Is there an insurance benefit to keeping the vessel 40-50' but then that brings up limitations to deck arrangements. I can probably deal with those limitations but as a military thinker am trying to plan ahead for anything I don't know about.
I am thinking a vessel from 1980ish to 1990, 45-55'. I like the Californian models or the Gulf Commanders that I've seen on Yachtworld. My wife gets nervous when I show her boats 50' or bigger. Happy wife, Happy Life. I may be the Captain, but we all know who the Admiral is. Like my military service, I can't do this without her.

Thanks for your time.

Respectfully .

Keoki

What amazing times looking for a boat wish you luck! When you say you have access to an air force marina does that mean it’s for retired military? Being 100% disabled from service in Iraq that’s a real perk and I must alert my admiral if so could be a real bargaining chip for a stateside boat with the leadership lol

Keep in mind that boats shrink within a few months of ownership. Carver 440 ACMY was great for two of us.

Extended life with two teen boys needs three cabins IMO however. I would not plan on them being aboard much unless they can bring along their girl friends. [:D]

Last edited:
60 is good. 65 is better
Big enough for the cabins and storage needed
Big enough to not need a marina and its associated expense.

Keep in mind that boats shrink within a few months of ownership. Carver 440 ACMY was great for two of us.

Extended life with two teen boys needs three cabins IMO however. I would not plan on them being aboard much unless they can bring along their girl friends. [:D]

So true.
You should use that line in the your signature

Last edited:
Here in the Tampa Bay area, one thing that I noticed is that the price for a slip in a marina seems to go up pretty dramatically once you get to 50' and beyond. And most of the marinas count your boat length as total length, from the point of the bowsprit to the end of the swim platform. Hence my search has been limited to boats with a length on deck of no more than about 46'.

"One question that has surfaced is what size vessel would be the most economically and live aboard friendly. We have 2 older teenage boys
who will be part of our crew but probably not for our Great Loop retirement plans."

There is no need to supply individual cabins for teenagers that will be soon moving on., or possible guests sometime in the future.

The loop is a fine one or perhaps 2 seasons adventure , but the boat should be useful for other years of adventure. Carib? Central America?

Too small simply means an annual vessel clearing is required , too large means bigger dock and repair bills forever.

What is "right size" is more the equipment on board and the hours and bucks it takes to keep everything operating.

A boat that has simple systems that can be anchored out almost 100% of the year is more important long term than just size.

Seaworthy and handy count more than a hot tub, or extra empty cabin.

Last edited:
I am currently in the military with plans to retire in about 3 years and have access to Langley AFB's marina with a size limitation of 47'. Is there an insurance benefit to keeping the vessel 40-50' but then that brings up limitations to deck arrangements. I can probably deal with those limitations but as a military thinker am trying to plan ahead for anything I don't know about.
I am thinking a vessel from 1980ish to 1990, 45-55'. I like the Californian models or the Gulf Commanders that I've seen on Yachtworld. My wife gets nervous when I show her boats 50' or bigger.

Thanks for your service, Keoki!

You might find a copy of the Powerboat Guide to be useful; the softcopy lets you do keyword searches on features you might like/want, and each entry is accompanied by a layout diagram. It doesn't include every boat in the world, but there are many...

I wouldn't let the Langley length limitation become a hard stop for you. Boats move, and with the Loop in mind... you might only be there a short time anyway.

Instead, put together a list of features you must have, would like to have... and then find boats like that. Sometimes, those features might dictate, or at least point toward, minimum overall length.

Our last previous list, for example, included things like swim platform, transom door, flybridge, stairs (not a ladder) to the flybridge, good sidedecks, dry head(s), walk-around master berth... etc. Adding a midships master to our current list increases our most likely new minimum length.

Back to that "boats move" thing. We spend LOTS of time aboard (well, we do when we actually HAVE a boat), and even though we put almost 10K miles on our last boat... we were probably actually underway maybe less than 1% of our time aboard. IOW, selecting your preferred features to take into account time when you're just hanging loose may make your onboard time more pleasant.

-Chris

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom