Go Back   Trawler Forum > Trawler Forum > General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #41

City: Fort Pierce, FL
Vessel Name: Dot Calm
Have you looked at diesel powered trawlers?
So much more affordable to run, easy to dock with one engine and a thruster. Yes, you will move at the speed of a turtle, but what's the hurry?

Much bang for your buck, more living area, cheap to operate and easy to handle.
Just saying.... might want to look at a Monk, Island Gypsy, Hatteras or even Nordic Tug.
Good luck
Monk36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #42
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
I'm 75. Here's my take:
Diesels are not cheaper to maintain.
Diesel stinks forever.
Anyone can fix a gasser.
My gasser boat gets 3 mpg at 7mph - but it can do almost 30 mph.
You'd need to keep a boat 40 years to take advantage of the extra cost of a diesel...at 74 y/o I'm guessing that ain't gonna happen for the OP.
I had dreams of crossing oceans when I was in my 20's and found out I didn't really want to cross oceans after buying a boat that could.
I've sailed to the Caribbean, the Bahamas are far superior to a boater but maybe not to a landlubber.
You don't need an ocean crossing boat to get to the Bahamas - I did it in an 18 outboard.
Straight inboards are a nightmare in shallow water. Outboards and sterndrives can survive well in 18" of water.
You can work on outboards and sterndrives in a slip - no need to haul for a prop change.
I'd had walkarounds because I single hand. I found it's easier to dash thru the boat to the stern than to tiptoe along a narrow walkway.
I insisted on a flybridge - but found that the complicated electronics and mechanics up there did not come close to their worth - you can't dock a boat single handed from the flybridge and hitting the head or grabing a beer from the fridge is a monumental task.
The cheaper the boat the easier it is to dock - no need for 'thrusters' if you don't mind nudging a piling to tie up and get ashore.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:49 PM   #43

City: St. Clair Shores, MI
Vessel Name: Solvogn
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Single Person Cruising?

We have a Grand Banks 32 and love it. My wife is an ardent cruiser, but I can handle this boat easily alone because all of it is on one level, except the fly bridge with the second steering station. Easy to maneuver, plenty comfortable, and very roomy for a single person. Not sure about offshore cruising, yet we do it here in the Great Lakes. Beam seas are tough in this boat, but we pick our days.
grandbanksbayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:00 PM   #44
Veteran Member

City: Cape Canaveral FL
You will never realize what many have stated unless U live it
Don't buy a boat cause the cabin is pretty , leather seating .
200 gallons @ $ 4.00 a gallon , every few hundred miles ,
YOU WILL CRY AT FUEL FILL UPS
Try 2 buy smart ,
Finding repair techs that want too work on gas engines is challenging , Most mechanics want to work on diesels or OB , I was speaking with a mechanic working on a trawler , Diesels , He said he does not accept gas jobs, something too do with insurance , ?
Keep away form stern drives ( IO's )
Must considere access too everything on boat , generator, holding tanks, gas tanks, engine room , You will have repairs , somebody has too get too that piece of equipment
Example if gas tank has too come out floor has too be cut out or waist holding tank sprang a leak , floor has too be cut ( on some boats )
In my case a engine has too come out too get too generator ,
I did not buy smart , I bought cause wife loved cabin ,
$ .75 cent more a gallon , Gas
You want too make the journey , purchase a economical fuel usage boat
Self contained cooling is best , NO RAW WATER COOLED
Gas engines , mfg install cause lot cheaper then diesel
Boats are a beautiful thing , twin gas engines will burn fuel
Many buy big boats that go no were, sit at docks , many live on boats not interested in the journey .
Doing the journey , got too be frugal in your thinking
I met a man , wanted that dream , Retired , sold the house wanted too travel with wife , purchased a 50 footer , Sail
After one year wife hated the boat, went back too Connecticut living with family , guy is living his dream by himself in the Keys

GOOD LUCK with your dream
All the boats mentioned are lovely , but are they smart for your travels
Trawler or sail is the way too go , I am 72 still wanting that journey ,
JOY-SEA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 06:37 PM   #45
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I have posted this link several times here, probably will another hundred times. A gas explosion is bad, very bad, but also not that common. If you really don't believe gas is safe, don't drive your car or SUV. The link below is in two parts and the author though now passed away was qualified to write the blog.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 07:32 PM   #46
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I have posted this link several times here, probably will another hundred times. A gas explosion is bad, very bad, but also not that common. If you really don't believe gas is safe, don't drive your car or SUV. The link below is in two parts and the author though now passed away was qualified to write the blog.

https://www.yachtsurvey.com/GasDiesel.htm
I have noted as well that there are hundreds of thousands of gas boats. Go to any lake and on most lakes gas is all you'll see. Then go to the coast and look at all the smaller boats and at the center consoles. More gas boats than diesel. Lots more gas cars than diesel.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 01:10 AM   #47
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
One thing to consider is where you are going to get whatever fuel your boat uses. In a number of places gas is readily available but diesel is not. If you have to go considerably out of your way (at 7 knots) just to refuel, you're boat might not get used as much as you expect.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 07:00 AM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
One thing to consider is where you are going to get whatever fuel your boat uses. In a number of places gas is readily available but diesel is not. If you have to go considerably out of your way (at 7 knots) just to refuel, you're boat might not get used as much as you expect.
In 25 years of diesel boating I have never had a problem finding fuel.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2019, 11:40 AM   #49
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
In 25 years of diesel boating I have never had a problem finding fuel.
I haven't either on coasts or navigable rivers. Now, on Lake Norman, you couldn't find it, but then no one had a diesel powered boat so it worked out fine.
Old 08-18-2019, 09:29 AM   #50
Guru

City: Fleming Island, Fl
Vessel Name: Sakura Perdido
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36 Classic
Mercruisers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateStarter View Post
I have narrowed the choice of a boat down. I am a newbie to boating, a healthy & reasonably fit 74 and will be mostly single handling the boat.
My choices are From the following:

1990 Carved 38 with 454 closed system mercruisers

1998 Sea Day Sundance 330 with 5.7L closed system mercruisers

1987 Tollycraft 34 Sundeck Crusader 350 closed system

Initially, I will be using the boat in the Chesapeake Bay traveling to the various islands. As I become more comfortable and confident with my skills I will expand my cruising to the East coast up to New England and down the ICW to Florida. After a couple of years I would like to travel the Caribbean, and maybe venture to Cuba.

Any advice welcome.
I would avoid anything with an I/O. It’s the worst system ever designed. If you aren’t going to get an inboard diesel then look at the Rossborough or CDory 25 or TomCat. 4 stroke outboard is the way to go if you don’t go diesel.
You will thank me.
Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 10:13 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryant View Post
I would avoid anything with an I/O. It’s the worst system ever designed. If you aren’t going to get an inboard diesel then look at the Rossborough or CDory 25 or TomCat. 4 stroke outboard is the way to go if you don’t go diesel.
You will thank me.
I/O's have their place. In my opinion, it's on fresh water lakes. I owned 5 boats while living in NC and all were I/O's. Had no real problems but never kept one beyond 8 years. Today it's a shrinking market segment because of the larger outboards, but there are still a lot sold for lake usage. Inboards are less practical for lakes due to the inability to raise them and the drafts. Only ski boats use inboards until you get to larger boats.

Now, looking at the size boats and use the OP is looking at, I'd prefer inboards. If I bought an I/O it would be with the understanding I likely would replace an outdrive some time, but that's relatively simple to get done.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:49 AM   #52
Guru

I/Os

99% of my boating is saltwater. I can see an I/O on a lake, under certain circumstances but the original question posed dealt with a boat suitable for long distance cruising, Great Loop, ICW etc and that was what my comment was directed towards. Everyone I know, myself included, that has tried to use an I/O in saltwater for extended periods of time have suffered the tortures of the dammed. Once the engine starts giving problems, they never run properly again. It’s just one thing after another. And keeping an outdrive with the rubber bellows immersed in saltwater for long periods of time is trouble just waiting to happen.
I had a Honda 4 stroke on my smaller boat for 19 years. It was well maintained but nothing out of the ordinary. When it finally needed several system replacements I opted to repower. Three days later I was back in the water. The old motor even retained significant trade in value. None of this is true about I/Os.
Personally, I would never own another I/O unless it was brand new, freshwater use and I was only going to keep the boat 5 years. This is not the use that the original question posed. Hence my advice to go diesel or 4 stroke outboard.
Old 08-18-2019, 03:45 PM   #53

City: Hilton Head Island
Well, I think one of the things that's missed is that maintenance is a huge issue for all engines - we should not poo-pooh engines and set ups. I was at MarineMax in Sarasota a few weeks ago and saw dude with twin 300 HP Verrado outboards on a rack, with one of them making a "blown piston" kind of sound when running on a garden hose set up. Probably due to lack of maintenance, maybe an old impeller failed and at 5500 RPMs at near WOT and a little short on water, and open your wallet quite large. They are about $36K plus install. So I think all engine set ups work in both salt and fresh water, just takes maintenance.
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:01 PM   #54
Guru

I/O

I agree maintenance is all important. The key word that you used, however, is “Verado” (Mercury). Those engines are notorious.
A Honda, Yamaha, Nissan or Tohatsu 4 stroke, properly maintained will provide years of trouble free service. Of course there is always a bad apple in any lot but if you go with one that I mentioned, odds are, you will be fine.
Old 08-18-2019, 04:39 PM   #55
Guru

City: Boston Area
Since your travels are going to be mostly local at first, have you considred buying a "starter" boat ? A little smaller than those you mentioned but less expensive, and easier to handle. Use that boat to learn navigation, weather, seamanship and so on... and then graduate to your New England to Florida cruiser. You will find things that you love and hate about your first boat and will be able to make a better decision as you move up in size. If you buy an older boat and maintain it well you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Something like these:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/198...dard%20listing

Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 04:55 PM   #56

City: Hilton Head Island
I agree. But all those engines will fail without maintenance. My theory is that some folks by too much boat, car, house or you name it and then can't afford maintenance. Those outboards with high horse power on a small physical box turn at very high rpms and need very professional maintenance. There is no magic here horsepower is math - rpms x torque. The I/Os with s bigger plant develop horsepower at lower rpms but they have their maintenance issues. Ok rant is over. 🏃
Mark P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #57
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
Since your travels are going to be mostly local at first, have you considred buying a "starter" boat ? A little smaller than those you mentioned but less expensive, and easier to handle. Use that boat to learn navigation, weather, seamanship and so on... and then graduate to your New England to Florida cruiser. You will find things that you love and hate about your first boat and will be able to make a better decision as you move up in size. If you buy an older boat and maintain it well you can probably sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Something like these:

Why take on the problems of I/Os?
Old 08-18-2019, 06:13 PM   #58
Guru

City: Boston Area
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Why take on the problem of outdrives.
Because if you want to get into a low cost 25-30 foot boat, they will be very common. If you are only going to own it for a year or two, I think its a manageable risk.

My point was not to buy an outdrive. It was to buy a boat to learn on. There's no sense paying for the capability to get to Cuba if he is just going to be putting around close to home for a few years. It will save him money, flatten out the learning curve a bit, and help him realize what features are important to him.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2019, 06:56 PM   #59
Guru

I/O

Benthic2 makes a good point.
Stay away from Outdrives. Try a smaller boat.
Look at what you want to do then match that with a boat suitable for that mission. Based on what you said you want to do, a Mainship or Albin would be a good choice or as I said before, a C Dory or Rossborough with 4 stroke outboards, a Willard or Grand Banks or a Camino Troll 30 would all be good choices.
Trust me, for what you want to do, stay away from all I/Os and V-drives and basically any configuration of an inboard gas engine.
Old 08-18-2019, 10:36 PM   #60
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
If you run your 4-stoke gas outboard boat at "trawler" speeds you will get comparable MPG to a diesel trawler. The catch is that most outboard powered boats are meant to go a lot faster than that and the temptation is usually too great not to take advantage of it. If you look at a Nimble Nomad or similar boat, they are powered with a fairly small outboard and are only designed for "trawler" speeds.

Another advantage of O/B power is that interior space on the boat is not taken up with an engine or two. This gives you more interior space which may mean you can get away with a smaller boat overall.

I have an O/B powered boat. My wife says we should get a bigger boat. However, after watching YouTube videos about doing maintenance on an inboard engine I'm loath to give up the ease of maintenance that my O/B allows.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote