Old 01-20-2018, 10:40 AM   #21

City: Yelm, WA
Vessel Name: "Convergence"
Vessel Model: Camano Troll
Here's one I'm not sure I like, but was on my boat when I purchased it. The Camano has rather narrow walk ways, which prompted this I'm sure.

the fellow has 3 fenders per side. all three are secured in place. He has a small line that ties to the bottom of all 3 fenders, and terminates back in the cockpit. By pulling the line, he pulled all three fenders up out of the water. You can sometimes manipulate the line to flip them up on to the walkway. Other wise, they are tied up more or less parallel to the water up near the walkway.

I will say this; it makes single handling a lot easier. I've only used his system 4-5 times so far, so I'll decide in time if I like it enough to leave in place.

toni
ctjstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #22
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
South of Heavn wrote;
“Thats probably because they dont want to be considered newbies for driving with their fenders out. Theres lots of critical people out there who are quick to make fun of someone else”

I do that. At times. And then “at times” I find that I’ve done it myself ... again. Just because we’re very experienced dosn’t mean we always use the knowledge.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:20 AM   #23
Guru

City: Ingleside-On-The-Bay, Texas
Vessel Name: Papillon
Vessel Model: 1978 Mainship 34 Trawler #95
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugYacht_33 View Post
ok, heres my first...... learned this one from the rv'ing world

fresh water hose in winter

ok, lets say you have a 50 foot fresh water hose and it is dipping into the single digits at night still below freezing during the day, here is how to keep it from freezing
I have abetter solution. If its that cold:
a) you should have headed south earlier.
b) I am in my living room in front of a fireplace. (but never gets that cold here anyway)
c) Start the engine and head south NOW...unless you are in Australia then head north.
jimisbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:25 AM   #24
Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
the fellow has 3 fenders per side. all three are secured in place. He has a small line that ties to the bottom of all 3 fenders, and terminates back in the cockpit. By pulling the line, he pulled all three fenders up out of the water. You can sometimes manipulate the line to flip them up on to the walkway. Other wise, they are tied up more or less parallel to the water up near the walkway.
toni
Been cruising, sailing.motoring for 50 years and have never seen that. Its really a great idea. Its going on my boat as soon as the weather gets above 80F.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:31 AM   #25
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctjstr View Post
Here's one I'm not sure I like, but was on my boat when I purchased it. The Camano has rather narrow walk ways, which prompted this I'm sure.

I will say this; it makes single handling a lot easier. I've only used his system 4-5 times so far, so I'll decide in time if I like it enough to leave in place.

toni
It’s handy but it’s not very slick looking and how do you then change to accomodate different situations. I boated w a group of Albin 25 owners (a club) and lots of them did that. I not keen on the way it looks but definitely is a bit of an advantage when in a crowded harbor stopping for 1 1/2 minutes to lower the fenders over the side. Wind and current does happen. Sometimes little things like that are a big help. I never have rigged that way though. It’s not unusual to need to get out after seeing the float height and lowering or raising all the fenders. And a fender in the water gets fowled w slime and worse fast.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:43 AM   #26
Guru

No-see-ums

Here in the South, Gulf Coast, No-see-ums will kill you just by suffocation. I have inhaled a mouth full of them and suffocation seems like relief. If you take a bunch of Bounce fabric softener sheets,about 2"x2" and pin them to the port hole screens and your shirt pocket (no-see-ums can fly straight through a screen without even folding their wings) they will leave you alone.....maybe....
Also, in "the ditch" (ICW) when passing through cattle pasture, the horse flies will eat you alive. They take bites large enough to bleed...honestly... But I noticed that they stay aboard by hanging upside down on the Bimini shade. so every 2 or 3 days I saturate the canvas with a high DEET content repellent. It will last at least two days. If they can not land there they wont stay on the boat. Seems they are used to perching on the belly of cows and horses.
Old 01-20-2018, 09:13 PM   #27
Veteran Member

City: Fayetteville
Vessel Name: Mhyzhen
Vessel Model: Custom 33' Glen-L design "union jack"
ive read about loopers using bales of hay for fenders when in heavy lock areas, takes a decent beating against grimy lock walls and is bio friendly when you come out the other end and "dispose"
also a package of cheap t-shirts or the legs out of some cheap sweatpants make great fender covers , think i heard that one here actually
you can put a plastic trash bag over a dockside satellite dish to keep the birds off of it, also good for snow... pull it tight and zip tie off or tape off..... when it starts looking ratty, just replace it
Old 01-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
The bales of hay used to be used on the Erie Canal. When we were there in 2016 they told us that weren’t allowed anymore.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 09:24 PM   #29
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
The bales of hay used to be used on the Erie Canal. When we were there in 2016 they told us that weren’t allowed anymore.
Strainer issues?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #30
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook TX
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
This one is a little gross but very important for anyone attempting to take a dog on a long trip.
We purchased a potty tray for pets (about 2.5' x 2.5') and a supply of disposable pads that fit. We cut a piece of astro turf to fit.
The gross part...my wife, the smart one, sopped up other dogs pee with one of the pads and we put it under the turf. Our dog (7 yr old terrier mix ) pee'd on this setup right away. Within a week she was dropping her other business on the pad.
Its generally not easy to train a dog that has always had a backyard to use a pad but this strategy, I believe really decreased the learning curve.
Steveg353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 04:17 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

We did the same thing with our Lab. Trained him on some astro turf. He still doesn’t like it, but will if need be.
Old 01-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #32
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Watching fireworks on 4th of July. Get there early like noonish. Seek out the water cops and ask them where the boundary line is. Anchor on the line and put up a huge wind sock or flag or anything highly visible. You will hear the watercops as people try to encroach on the line "See that boat with the windsock? Anywhere behind them."
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 05:00 PM   #33
Guru

City: Quebec
Vessel Name: Bleuvet
Vessel Model: Custom Built
Best tip ever: always have a bucket aboard, can be used to wash the boat and many things and more than anything else when you realize in the middle of nowhere that your holding tank if full!!!

L
Lou_tribal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:32 PM   #34
Veteran Member

City: Seabrook TX
Vessel Name: Osprey
Vessel Model: Marine Trader
+1 on the buckets. We had several stacked in a corner on board. Washed dishes with saltwater in a bucket and rinsed with fresh water. Used a bucket to carry stuff with us in the dinghy. I even made a "lookie bucket" with one bucket, a piece of plexiglass and some 4200. After realizing the usefulness of a lookie bucket, the original purpose for the plexiglass was deemed less useful.
Did not figure that one until we were no where near a place to buy one. They are handy to check anchor sets, finding fish to catch in the dinghy, and general underwater sightseeing.
Steveg353 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 06:56 PM   #35
Guru

I would hope the bucket used for holding tank emptying is not also used for washing dishes??? Better have them marked...LOL

I once changed oil into a 1 gal plastic milk bottle. But didnt notice till I had carried it through the main salon that it had a small hole in it.......thats a tip to check the container.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:08 PM   #36
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Location awareness when boarding and unboarding the boat. Look down at your feet, and watch them hit the hard. Don't get distracted.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 07:28 PM   #37
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Location awareness when boarding and unboarding the boat. Look down at your feet, and watch them hit the hard. Don't get distracted.
There's a story there...
Old 01-21-2018, 07:39 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

We keep a 3 gallon bucket onboard. It is a little easier to stow.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:02 PM   #39
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou_tribal View Post
Best tip ever: always have a bucket aboard, can be used to wash the boat and many things and more than anything else when you realize in the middle of nowhere that your holding tank if full!!!

L
A bucket is a compulsory safety item here, though I think it`s more for emergency baling than the uses above.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2018, 08:23 PM   #40

City: Port Moody
Vessel Name: Twilight1
Vessel Model: Permaglass Sedan
A zinc hockey puck with a float switch epoxied onto it. No underwater screws, solved a serious issue. Used a zinc scrap from Martin Marine.