Old 06-05-2020, 10:49 AM   #1

City: Boston
Perkins diesel education

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on learning about the Perkins diesels as far as educational classes go, I have one on my mainship, 1982 165 hp turbo.

I have a full time schedule as a pilot so I struggle to find things besides a college that offers diesel classes. Any recs will be well received.

I live in Boston, but as a pilot I'm lucky enough to travel world wide so location isn't a problem. Anyone know if Perkins dealer themselves have such classes?

Stay safe out there these days!

Chris

Thesaltyrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:03 PM   #2

City: Wickford, RI
Vessel Name: Volans
Vessel Model: 2001 PDQ MV 32
Sorry Chris, they stopped making the 6.354 a while ago. They're pretty stock engines though, any Diesel course would be applicable. The only tricky parts of those engines are the oil/air/trans oil/ coolant coolers, depending on which model you have.

We had two in our last boat. Anything specific, feel free to ask. I'm sure someone will recommend boatdiesel.com and trans Atlantic diesel (TAD) as resources. The best education I got with those engines was spending a day following the water pipe, then the fuel lines, then the air, etc etc. And cleaning, along the way. Definitely get the shop manual too. It will have expanded diagrams of each component.

Good luck

Previously of "In Sanity" fame. A 40' Mainship from 1981.
Gabe n Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #3
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ and Englewood, FL
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
The Perkins is an old school mechanical injection diesel. Books by Nigel Calder and Peter Compton are very applicable.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in New Jersey.
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:20 PM   #4
Guru

City: Anacortes
I don’t think there is a class on the use of JB weld on corroded o-ring grooves and filing back to shape, but there maybe should be.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 07:24 PM   #5
Guru

City: Clearwater, FL
Vessel Name: Seas the Bay
Vessel Model: 1981 42' Hardin Europa
Ask a lot of questions here (or at boatdiesel.com).

Read the owners and workshop manuals and look over the figures in the parts manual. If not familiar with diesels in general, read about them online or take a community follege class.

The 6.354 is really just a classic old school engine, much like the Lehman (different than Detroits). They are pretty ztraight-forward, really.
gkesden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #6
Guru

City: hawaii
Vessel Name: #31
Vessel Model: ex-Navy MUB 50 fish/cruise
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
I don’t think there is a class on the use of JB weld on corroded o-ring grooves and filing back to shape, but there maybe should be.
Nailed it!
Old 06-06-2020, 06:01 PM   #7
TF Site Team

City: California Delta and SF Bay
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I have a pair of 4.236 Perkins like your 6 cyl, but shorter with smaller components and no turbo. Very simple to work on once you know the right processes and the locations of all the relevant parts. With a Service Manual, you can figure it out if you have basic mechanical skills. (It also helps to have a friend show you...)

I just thought of this but have you tried to search YouTube for this? Maybe an engine familiarization video. I bet they already exist, but if they don't, I hope some wise mechanic puts some out there. (Hint, hint to the Technical Gurus and wise mechanics here on TF.)

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
Guru

City: Whitby, Ontario
Vessel Name: DIRT FREE
Vessel Model: Benford Fantail 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesaltyrudder View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has recommendations on learning about the Perkins diesels as far as educational classes go, I have one on my mainship, 1982 165 hp turbo.

I have a full time schedule as a pilot so I struggle to find things besides a college that offers diesel classes. Any recs will be well received.

I live in Boston, but as a pilot I'm lucky enough to travel world wide so location isn't a problem. Anyone know if Perkins dealer themselves have such classes?

Stay safe out there these days!

Chris
There are 10's of thousands of these engines still in use around the world. They were used in farm equipment and generators in the high Andes and Africa. Best marine diesel ever ! If you can find one of the 5 ring versions even better. Buy your parts through farm equippment dealers, usually at least 40% less than marine dealers. i.e. the intercooler was $600 from a farm equipment outfir rather than $5k from a marine dealer.

The HT6-354 5 ring version in the photo went from Toronto to Duluth MN and Antigua then Honduras three time with no issues other than one intercooler and two lift pumps. At the time of this photo she had 20,000hrs.

Wish I had never sold that boat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ENGINE 1.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	103505  
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 08:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

City: Jacksonville, FL
What everyone has said is spot on!

I had such in my Mainship. My now marine trader has two SP275. Basically the same concept.

Remove the “marinized” parts, and same easy engine.

Manifolds and mani-coolers are the rub, service and way then. Plan to replace ($$$) at some point. Good engines!
hytedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
Veteran Member

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Playin Hooky
Vessel Model: 42' Californian LRC
I purchased a trawler in 2017 that had M135 6 cylinder naturally aspirated engines. I have a long term mechanic that I used on the previous boat. I paid for a couple of hours of his time and he showed me the maintenance points on the engines , along with quirks and tricks. It was the best money I've ever spent on a boat. I have a good method for changing the cannister 'on engine' fuel filters with minimal mess when you get to that point. Best of luck

Playin Hooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
classes, diesel, perkins