Perkins 6-354N

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jkmacleod

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Gracious
Vessel Make
Defever Downeast
Got an older trawler under contract with twin Perkins 6-354N’s. How concerned should I be about part availability? They are 1979 vintage with 3300 hrs. Thanks

Available and rebuildable
Heat exchanger parts can be tough to find depends on the setup.

Last edited:
Thank you High Wire. I’m alternating between elation and terror about my first trawler. I’m not a boating novice, just new to this sector.

There are a number of places making replacement heat exchangers. Any decent rebuild shop can get engine parts. The engine probably has uses in AG and other industries.

One of the best providers of parts and extremely knowledgeable service is Trans Atlantic Diesel in Whitemarsh, VA. I've had the naturals in my Atlantic, Cheoy Lee and now my Pearson. Pretty bulletproof. Tend to smoke a bit on start up but then disapates once they warm up. Agree that heat exchanger can be problematic to replace if multicooler set up is on the engines. Your vintage, since NA model, probably not and there are providers for these parts out there.
Good luck and welcome aboard.

The 6354 N's are THE benchmark of diesels and with proper maintenance will probably see you under the sod first.
Perkins Engines have liners and are easily rebuilt.
Parts for engine cooling, manifolds, heat exchangers oil coolers etc are readily available and still made by the o.e suppliers ejbowman.co.uk and they will ship anywhere in the world.
Engine rebuild kits are available from the o.e suppliers parts4engines.com who also will ship worldwide.

Just one important point, many folks think that by putting the latest all singing all dancing fully synthetic oils in an older engine they are doing it a favour.
When the engines were designed and built the lube oil was specified for the engine internal tolerances and putting synthetics in does not suit the tolerances and can in fact increase wear.
Should you, or anyone else, ever have a rebuild, make sure you only fit the latest model lead free shell bearings because the latest lead free type last twice as long as the old type

Last edited:
I had 2x6354MGTs and a 4.107 powered genset in my last boat, and 2x6.354Ms (naturally aspirated, marine) in my present boat. All the same vintage as yours.

They are great power plants with great parts availability and rebuildability.

Then only one part I know of that is hard to find is the housing for the fresh water pump on contra-rotating models. It is rebuilable with the same kit as the normal one, but the housing is different. If it cracks, somehow, you'll probably need to have it welded, etc.

Good power plant. 5xEndorse.

Last edited:
I had 2x6354MGTs and a 4.107 powered genset in my last boat, and 2x6.354Ms (naturally aspirated, marine) in my present boat. All the same vintage as yours.

They are great power plants with great parts availability and rebuildability.

Then only one part I know of that is hard to find is the housing for the raw water pump on contra-rotating models. It is rebuilable with the same kit as the normal one, but the housing is different. If it cracks, somehow, you'll probably need to have it welded, etc.

Good power plant. 5xEndorse.
I think you mean the coolant pump. The raw water pump is the Jabsco bronze pump that can be plumbed for either direction and pumps seawater.

"The 6354 N's are THE benchmark of diesels and with proper maintenance will probably see you under the sod first."

Yes indeed, along with my Ford Lehman 135's, some of the longest living diesels ever made. :thumb:

Had the same concerns 13 years ago, but at now 2,600 hours no issues (knock on wood)
I did pull the manicoolers and had them checked and cleaned.

Welcome aboard. Good luck with the boat deal. Keep us informed as to how it goes, oh and BTW we need photos...

Irish, I enjoy reading your posts, most of the time but synthetics increasing wear? I don't think so. It's oil, oil that has superior lube qualities. No engine, old or new won't care, dino or synthetic.
The 6354 N's are THE benchmark of diesels and with proper maintenance will probably see you under the sod first.
Perkins Engines have liners and are easily rebuilt.
Parts for engine cooling, manifolds, heat exchangers oil coolers etc are readily available and still made by the o.e suppliers ejbowman.co.uk and they will ship anywhere in the world.
Engine rebuild kits are available from the o.e suppliers parts4engines.com who also will ship worldwide.

Just one important point, many folks think that by putting the latest all singing all dancing fully synthetic oils in an older engine they are doing it a favour.
When the engines were designed and built the lube oil was specified for the engine internal tolerances and putting synthetics in does not suit the tolerances and can in fact increase wear.
Should you, or anyone else, ever have a rebuild, make sure you only fit the latest model lead free shell bearings because the latest lead free type last twice as long as the old type

Your 70’s vintage engine will not be the Range 4 setup with the aluminum integrated intake/exhaust manifold including the heat exchanger. Those came out mid 80’s I believe, truly beautiful but are a nightmare to source.
Other than that all parts are available. I loved my Perkins!

Many older 6.354s have been, for better or worse (opinions vary) upgraded to manicoolers. Multicoolers, not so much.

I have twin 4.236's...the 4 cylinder version of the 6.354 natural. 13 years ago at 2200 hrs, I had the same concerns as you. I had never maintained a single diesel and had little knowledge of them.

Now that they're approaching 4000 hrs on the engines, I've learned how to maintain/replace just about all of the typical hang-on parts but the engine just keeps on ticking along relentlessly. They've proven to be very reliable, basic engines with relatively simple mechanical maintenance requirements.

Parts availability and cost have not really been an issue for me...except for that last $2200 HP fuel pump replacement!!! :facepalm:

Solid motor, but parts (manifold, etc.) can be very difficult (outside of custom fab) to locate. Believe me. I've been dealing with it for a while now and many of the fellas throughout this forum are on point with their knowledge. BTW, Post pics if possible.

Hey Seachaser,

C'mon now. :)

The manifolds are immediately available from Mesa Marina in Alabama and their dealers. And the manifold and cooler can be collectively replaced with a manicooler from E.J.Bowman and their dealers.

The parts are available, just not as cheaply as one might prefer.

Part of the reason the manifold isn't cheap is that the ones made of carbon steel are no longer available, largely because they rotted out too fast because they are raw water cooled. So, the ones now available are made of stainless steel and, while more expensive in the short run, should last decades, so they are more of a "permanent upgrade" than a "scheduled replacement maintenance item".

I understand the sticker shock. I own two of these engines and owned two 6.354MGTs and a 4.107 before them. But, I'm glad the parts are still available.

Having said that, I just discovered a new small part that isn't -- the coupler assembly between the take-off and the raw water pump. Those apparently need to be fixed if they fail as the disk is $125 -- and the rest is unavailable.

I have half a mind to 3D scan them and CNC machine a bunch. Or, maybe just draw and CNC them. They are really simple parts. Corner the market. :)

Hey Seachaser,

C'mon now. :)

The manifolds are immediately available from Mesa Marina in Alabama and their dealers. And the manifold and cooler can be collectively replaced with a manicooler from E.J.Bowman and their dealers.

The parts are available, just not as cheaply as one might prefer.

Part of the reason the manifold isn't cheap is that the ones made of carbon steel are no longer available, largely because they rotted out too fast because they are raw water cooled. So, the ones now available are made of stainless steel and, while more expensive in the short run, should last decades, so they are more of a "permanent upgrade" than a "scheduled replacement maintenance item".

I understand the sticker shock. I own two of these engines and owned two 6.354MGTs and a 4.107 before them. But, I'm glad the parts are still available.

Having said that, I just discovered a new small part that isn't -- the coupler assembly between the take-off and the raw water pump. Those apparently need to be fixed if they fail as the disk is $125 -- and the rest is unavailable.

I have half a mind to 3D scan them and CNC machine a bunch. Or, maybe just draw and CNC them. They are really simple parts. Corner the market. :)
McMaster Carr has whole replacement couplings for about $20. Measure carefully. Search for JOY coupling.
I flipped the insert over almost 1700 hours ago and still going.

Last edited:
McMaster Carr has whole replacement couplings for about $20. Measure carefully. Search for JOY coupling.
I flipped the insert over almost 1700 hours ago and still going.

Can't remember what the material is called but it appears to have some sort of fiber running through it. I bought 1' of it in rod form from a local plastics supplier and cut about a dozen of them for about $10Cdn. (I think thats about 0.97c US) on a table saw.

Hey High wire,

You wouldn't happen to know the shaft diameters, would you? I haven't measured. But, I will if you don't happen to remember or have them handy.

I was under the impression that the LoveJoy couplings were 1/2" and up and that the actual propeller raw water pump shaft is smaller than that.

I can imagine making a sleeve to make one work, but I am a little hesitant to backyard that, since the pump is the among the single points of failure between the engines and possibly engine-fatal overheating.

Last edited:
Hey High wire,

You wouldn't happen to know the shaft diameters, would you? I haven't measured. But, I will if you don't happen to remember or have them handy.

I was under the impression that the LoveJoy couplings were 1/2" and up and that the actual propeller shaft is smaller than that.

I can imagine making a sleeve to make one work, but I am a little hesitant to backyard that, since the pump is the among the single points of failure between the engines and possibly engine-fatal overheating.

LOVEJOY couplings.

Dont have it handy. I was going to pull it apart to measure to replace. Then I found that flipping the insert allowed the coupling to drive on the unworn sections. That was 5 years ago. It works fine and no visable wear so I left it that way. Probably good for another 4000 hours.

Last edited:
Irish, I enjoy reading your posts, most of the time but synthetics increasing wear? I don't think so. It's oil, oil that has superior lube qualities. No engine, old or new won't care, dino or synthetic.

Thank you.....I was a marine mechanic for 20 years and we NEVER DISCOURAGED PEOPLE FROM USING SYNTHETIC OIL !!!!!

Back
Top Bottom