Perkins 6.354 operating temp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

defibril8me

Vessel Name
Paradigm Shift
Vessel Make
Ponderosa Sundeck
I apologize in advance if this is a question that has already been addressed in this forum. I am new to this forum (and as a new trawler owner) and not sure how to maneuver through this yet.

I have a 1984 Ponderosa 35' trawler that has a Perkins 6.354 engine. It has nearly 4,000 hrs on her well maintained engine. My question is about normal operating temperature. At 1600 RPM's it maintains a temp of 188 degrees. I've read that the spec's for this engine is between 65-75 celsius (around 167 degrees). All strainers and hoses are clear, coolant topped off, etc. Is this normal for other Perkins owners?

Thanks again.

We have a Perkins 6.3544M engine, our manual states between 168-197 degrees. Our engine is at 180 degrees at 2200 rpm but rises to 190 degree if pushed higher.

Mine runs close to 190

I have the 6.354 range 4 135 hp with the bowman cooler with 5600 hours. At 1600 rpm engine has consistently run at approx 160F measured at thermostat housing using a small infra red thermometer. (range 4 has two thermostats and if memory serves are set at around 160). Other locations on engine vary, some cooler, some hotter when measured with infrared thermometer. I have found that the dash gauge actually reads lower due to sensor location; yours could read higher for same reason. BUT all 6.354s are not the same. Different cooler configuration and hp ratings, so can’t say what’s right for you. What I can say is that if consistent over time, likely fine. Hope his helps, Jeff.

I have the 6.354 range 4 135 hp with the bowman cooler with 5600 hours. At 1600 rpm engine has consistently run at approx 160F measured at thermostat housing using a small infra red thermometer. (range 4 has two thermostats and if memory serves are set at around 160). Other locations on engine vary, some cooler, some hotter when measured with infrared thermometer. I have found that the dash gauge actually reads lower due to sensor location; yours could read higher for same reason. BUT all 6.354s are not the same. Different cooler configuration and hp ratings, so can’t say what’s right for you. What I can say is that if consistent over time, likely fine. Hope his helps, Jeff.
Mine has two thermostats. I just replaced them a couple months ago. I’m just going off the gauge temp. I need to get me one of those infra red thermometer. Mines a 6.354 NA

I found out hard way there are several 6.354 naturally aspirated versions. Bought wrong parts early on. If you deal with Transatlantic Diesel for parts, first question they ask is engine serial number for that reason. Have no idea if all versions have same thermostat settings. But yea, the infra red thermometers are cheap and well worth the effort.

I’d be very happy with the 188 deg reading.
If you’d like to take it up a notch in terms of monitoring your motors health, look into an exhaust gas temperature gauge, a raw water flow sensor, and an exhaust elbow overheat alarm.
This will give you early warning of any deteriorating conditions in raw water flow, and a much earlier warning of a failure.
Often by the time a coolant overheat alarm goes off, damage has already been done.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom