Old 11-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #1

City: Madisonville
Vessel Name: Aku Uka
Vessel Model: 43’ DeFever
Pay Back Time?

Question for all you seasoned trawler owners. We've had a bad an scary situation happen to us several times. While existing a no wake zone, bridge, etc. sometime a large twin engine gas sport fisher or the like will go to full throttle from just behind us causing us to almost roll over. Keep in mind that I'm in a 41 footer; so the whirlpool/wave is pretty big. What should I do? Running them down is not an option for a 6 knot vessel.
Dixie Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Securite, securite, securite. All vessels in the area of XXX be aware that sportfish vessel named YYY is operating in a dangerous manner by producing very large wake.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Guru

City: Everett, WA
Vessel Name: Honey Badger
Vessel Model: 42' CHB Europa
Hail the Coast Guard and report them. They'll usually switch you up to 22A and give you a number to call.
SomeSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:13 PM   #4
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
This could be worth giving a try. Call on the radio something like this, "large sport fish coming through X bridge this is X. I am slowing to idle speed. Please give me a slow pass on my port side". I don't know how you are exiting the area, but if you are getting up to 7 or 8 knots he would have to throw a big wake to get around you. When I am following in that situation, I will ask for a slow pass. Most of the overtaken boats comply with the request.

I think the purpose is to keep the situation from happening.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
If you're exiting the area, I don't believe the CG will do much.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by RT Firefly View Post
Greetings,
Securite, securite, securite. All vessels in the area of XXX be aware that sportfish vessel named YYY is operating in a dangerous manner by producing very large wake.
Now that's a good one, Mr. Firefly!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
dvd

City: California Bay Area
Vessel Name: BOOSTER
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonfish View Post
Now that's a good one, Mr. Firefly!
+1
dvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #8
Guru

City: Cary NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 42'
This happens to us ALL the time. Even when they do slow some, the wake they throw is HUGE and our little boat will rock all over. Scares the pee out of me. Throws the furniture all over. Tom calls it a "furniture scrambler". I learned later that our little boat snaps back really fast due to her full concrete keel and while good for the boat, it makes the rolling worse for me.

That being said. The thing to do is slow way down let him pass and turn into that wake taking it on the bow, not the beam. Get INTO his wake and then power back up.

It's scary, it sucks, but it's part of having a trawler. The boat will not roll over due to a wake. (should not) The boat can handle way more rolling than we can.

Slow down, let them overtake, turn into the wake and take it on the bow directly. When I'm at the helm and this happens, I also try really hard to not squeal like a little girl.
Besslb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
Scraping Paint

City: -
We don't have the overtaking in a narrow channel problem much at all here but we do get some pretty large wakes from other boats passing us in either direction. The solution is simple and is as desribed by Bess--- turn into the wake. We try to always take it a bit on the quarter rather than directly head on. This seems to reduce the pitching some while not inducing any significant roll.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #10

City: Wilmington, N.C.
Vessel Name: Donnchaidh
Vessel Model: Marine Trader 40' sedan
Being passed

If I am in a que for a bridge, lock etc. I circle back and get behind the go fast boats. If on is approching I try to hailthem on the radio and ask for a slow speed pass. If I do not get a responce I will croud them to the edge of the channel forcing them to slow down. J.T.
awpptdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Guru

City: Hailing Port: Charleston, SC
Vessel Name: Moonstruck
Vessel Model: Sabre 42 Hardtop Express
Quote:
Originally Posted by awpptdt View Post
If I am in a que for a bridge, lock etc. I circle back and get behind the go fast boats. If on is approching I try to hailthem on the radio and ask for a slow speed pass. If I do not get a responce I will croud them to the edge of the channel forcing them to slow down. J.T.
Seems like a good system to me. I am interested to know how if many respond, and give a slow pass.
https://moonstruckblog.wordpress.com/
Moonstruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
If you're not in a no wake zone then there's nothing that the USCG can or should do. There is no violation of any statute.

The sports fishermen have just as much right to travel the waterways within the capacities of their boats as antbody else.

We as boaters need to keep a sharp lookout, and to respond to sea conditions regardless of their cause in a prudent manner taking into account our vessles and crews capabilities.

I do not run our boat up on plane very often, but when I do, it throws a huge wake. There's no way that I could drop off plane for every boat that come into proximity with. The open ocean is a free for all, and nobody I've ever seen slows down.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #13
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Besides... It's just a wave.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #14

City: Gig Harbor WA
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
Awpptdt, Like you describe, I too will "peel off" of my course and come back behind the speeding vessel. It works great and also sends a message to the offending overtaker that his speed has consequences on other boats in his path. I also like that I don't have to power down and/or steer into his offensive wake!
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #15
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
I thought of following the offender to their lunch anchor spot and doing circuits around them at full power, spilling the cheap wine they`d be drinking. But that would reduce me to their abominable standards. RTF`s idea of broadcasting a warning on 16 is better, and Maritime monitors 16.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 PM   #16
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
If you're not in a no wake zone then there's nothing that the USCG can or should do. There is no violation of any statute..
Someone could be subject to civil liability.

Law and Disorder
Old 11-02-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
TF Site Team

City: Ex-Brisbane, (Australia), now Bribie Island, Qld
Vessel Name: Now boatless - sold 6/2018
Vessel Model: Had a Clipper (CHB) 34
If the turning into the wake tactic is sometimes impossible, as when they come up on you suddenly from behind, and their wake is coming at you from aft of the beam, if there is room, but no time to do the complete loop and come at them from behind, one can bear away and take it on the stern or stern quarter. Of course where we boat sometimes there is no room to for either option except to just rock and roll. I think I might try RTF's suggestion for that situation.
Peter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Law and Disorder
While I agree with much of the article...it also smacks of why lawyers think lawyers and insurance are needed 24/7 by everyone.

I think you might be partially responsible in that last scenario where the boat powers up and knocks down the fisherman in the cove...but a good argument from you or a lawyer could keep the liability percentage to a minimum...by showing what you did was reasonable and had no way of knowing that the guy was there AND the knucklehead shouldn't have been standing when your wake came by (he has the requirement to keep a good lookout too! )
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:47 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post

Law and Disorder

I read the article, and although its interesting, I do not think a wake damage claim would be able to be upheld in the ocean, and thats whare most of us seem to boat.

As a defense to wake damage in USCG waters would be the argument that a boat damaged by a wake was not seaworthy for use in uncontrolled areas. Another argument would be that the captain of the boat that was damaged by the wake was neglegent in that he either did not keep a sharp lookout, and or did not possess the seamanship skills to avoid something (a wave) that he would could reasonable expect to happen.

Anybody can sue anybody for anything at any time. That does not mean a claim will be upheld.

We see this exact situation allot here in Alaska. A 50' charter boat throwing a 3' wake scares some guy that just drove his spiffy 18' alumanium boat off of the showroom floow with the promise from the salesman that said boat can handle the open ocean and will catch the happy new owner a freezer full of fish. They radio the USCG crying a river of tears.

The USCG, copies the information down then does nothing. They just don't get involved.

What really sucks is that it it these same newby boaters that get pissed when you won't eat up your weekend by towing them back to port when their boat runs out of gas 50 miles from port. They are the same ones that get rescued when they prove that the charts are accurate by locating rocks with their boat.

They think that because they can buy a boat that they are competent to operate it. They quickly realize that seamanship is not a built in feature of their boats.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 06:59 AM   #20
Guru

City: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksanders View Post
If you're not in a no wake zone then there's nothing that the USCG can or should do. There is no violation of any statute.

The sports fishermen have just as much right to travel the waterways within the capacities of their boats as antbody else.

We as boaters need to keep a sharp lookout, and to respond to sea conditions regardless of their cause in a prudent manner taking into account our vessles and crews capabilities.

I do not run our boat up on plane very often, but when I do, it throws a huge wake. There's no way that I could drop off plane for every boat that come into proximity with. The open ocean is a free for all, and nobody I've ever seen slows down.

You are responsible for any accident or injury caused by your wake regardless of wake or no wake zone.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote