Passagemaker gets (yet another) remake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
Got an e-mail today that our old friend Passagemaker forum is getting a redesign, starting tomorrow. Of course your password won't work any more, so they're going to mail me a new user name and PW tomorrow.

I wrote back and mentioned that all the redesigns in the past were the reason I never went there any more.

Anybody going to take a look? They've pissed me off so much I have no interest in even taking a peek.

Kieth I got all excited. I thought the Beebe classic yacht was getting a remake! I know it changed hands last year. Apparently it was on the hard in Chagaramus (Trinidad). Hopefully she gets a re-fit and appears out on the coast.

I am going to take a look. In today's world forum software is not rocket science.

Keith wrote:I wrote back and mentioned that all the redesigns in the past were the reason I never went there any more.

They've pissed me off so much I have no interest in even taking a peek.

Well... Which one is it? LoL

I've never been there, so without opening too large of a worm can, what goes on over there? I mean, this isn't the first time I've heard not-so-good things about that forum.

I don't know why but I got the e-mail regarding the upcoming changes and I have not set foot there for over two years. I had my name removed when I was told by a group that being the owner of a converted commercial fish boat did not give me the right to express opinions on a yachting forum. It was apparent that my experiences were not able to be converted into real yachting experiences.
I certainly will not b excepting any new passwords from them !
John Tones Penta
Sidney, BC

Penta wrote:

...I was told by a group that being the owner of a converted commercial fish boat did not give me the right to express opinions on a yachting forum. It was apparent that my experiences were not able to be converted into real yachting experiences.
That seems like a very counterintuitive attitude to me.* The important thing is what you know about running a boat, not what kind of boat it is.* I suppose they might have had a point if you ran a Cigarette racing boat or something, but given the kind of boat you run and the area you run it in I would think the members of a forum would consider themselves lucky to have an opportunity to get the benefit of your experience.

Plus..... I recall in some back issues of PMM that Carey gave me a number of years ago that there were articles about converting ex-commercial fishing boats aka*"buy back" boats*to recreational boats.* Don't the participants in the PMM forum read their own magazine?

Marin wrote:Penta wrote:

...I was told by a group that being the owner of a converted commercial fish boat did not give me the right to express opinions on a yachting forum. It was apparent that my experiences were not able to be converted into real yachting experiences.
That seems like a very counterintuitive attitude to me.* The important thing is what you know about running a boat, not what kind of boat it is.* I suppose they might have had a point if you ran a Cigarette racing boat or something, but given the kind of boat you run and the area you run it in I would think the members of a forum would consider themselves lucky to have an opportunity to get the benefit of your experience.

Plus..... I recall in some back issues of PMM that Carey gave me a number of years ago that there were articles about converting ex-commercial fishing boats aka*"buy back" boats*to recreational boats.* Don't the participants in the PMM forum read their own magazine?
You're right Marin. There was one issue with a great article about converted boats, and over the years there have been individual boats featured that were work boatish. Sounds to me like a snobbish individual with a *whole different expectation speaking out against John and his boat.

I haven't decided whether I will venture back to the dark side and look at their site.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 24th of February 2011 08:09:19 PM

Quote - "You're right Marin. There was one issue with a great article about converted boats, and over the years there have been individual boats featured that were work boatish. Sounds to me like a snobbish individual with a whole different expectation speaking out against John and his boat."

Yes there have been a number of such articles however what the mag. publishes and what goes on via the "list" seem to be in totally different worlds.
By the way, it was not one individual who was being a "red neck" but a group that followed the first guy in his critisisms - oh well I don't worry about it 'cause this list is much better both in content and its contributors. There is not the same "jump on him and his comments" attitude here like seems to be so common on the "other one".
Happy boat'n guys
John

Penta wrote:
There is not the same "jump on him and his comments" attitude here like seems to be so common on the "other one".
Happy boat'n guys
John
Watch your back John, because when you least expect it, any one of us old farts can go nuts and tear you a new one.

The purpose of PM is to SELL $$$$ Add space.

There is way more $$$$ in shlocking new boats , than the parts a converter might use .

Interesting comments re PMM. It would be my observation that the core forum members here are either the same folks who used to inhabit the PMM site, or are similar thinkers. As with any group, there is a wide range of personalities and I've seen personal attacks on both forums; it's the nature of the beast.This forum was born out of frustration due in large part, I believe, to the technical deficiencies of the PMM board, not because of the attacks.
If PMM gets it right this time I suspect that both forums will have good traffic that will wax and wane depending on the topic(s) of the moment.
But please, let's leave the personal attacks out.

-- Edited by Conrad on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:25:48 AM

-- Edited by Conrad on Friday 25th of February 2011 03:39:59 PM

I visit the site ever morning. **This morning there where 7 old members logged in.* There is not much activity, but there are still a lot of us that check the site.

Personal attached have been on both site and mostly by the same members.* The big difference is this site is read and replied by the monirators, where as PMM was not, to a point many of us stopped replying, not worth the hassle. *

Most of the technical problems where because the member PC did not have Compatibility View checked under tools on your internet screen.* I experience this when I bought a new computer as my old Sony I could not see/understand what people were talking about?* On the old Sony the site work on the new Dell it did not?** So if you are having trouble with a site make sure Compatibility View is checked.* True the site took a little longer to load but with Verizon Broad band, I did not see that much of a change.********

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:56:50 AM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Friday 25th of February 2011 10:58:03 AM

I went and checked it out.

Made a quick post and then came home to TF.

What the heck.

One thing I did like was the profile section. I had a lot of pics posted.
I have lost some of them and wish I could get them back.**That was long ago and a few computers ago*

I wonder if something like that would be possible on this site.
people could set up a photo album in there profile to showcase there baby's.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Friday 25th of February 2011 11:12:15 AM

DavidM wrote:

Where is the forum?

David
If you go to Community and then Member benefits you get a list of the benefits which include "Post in our user forums (coming soon!)"

So we'll see.

skipperdude wrote:One thing I did like was the profile section. I had a lot of pics posted.
I have lost some of them and wish I could get them back.**That was long ago and a few computers ago*

I wonder if something like that would be possible on this site.
people could set up a photo album in there profile to showcase there baby's.

SD
You actually can post pics in your Biography section of your profile.* Or more accurately, a link to pics.* By using one of the free picture posting sites you can insert the pics in your bio.* Because they are a link you can post just about all that you want.

-- Edited by dougd1 on Monday 28th of February 2011 08:15:15 AM

I still check PM out periodically but I'll have to see how they set the 'new' forum up.

I think though, now it will be third on my check list.

I finally got logged in only to find that the forum was "coming soon".

What's a Beiber????

And as always, thanks for the kind words reference this forum and thank y'all for participating. There is a pretty fine group of folks on here!!!!

Doc wrote:

I finally got logged in only to find that the forum was "coming soon".
Likewise. From what I did see on the new site, I can't say my expectations are very high. Just locating the forum was a pain in the A--.*

Conrad wrote:

DavidM wrote:

Where is the forum?

David
If you go to Community and then Member benefits you get a list of the benefits which include "Post in our user forums (coming soon!)"

So we'll see.

Anytime you bury a function under 5 layers of navigation it tells you that one or both of two things are true.* 1.* The site was designed by someone's 16 year old nephew, or 2.* That don't give a rat's rear end whether you find it or not.

Take your choice.

Delfin wrote:

Conrad wrote:

DavidM wrote:

Where is the forum?

David

So we'll see.

Anytime you bury a function under 5 layers of navigation it tells you that one or both of two things are true.* 1.* The site was designed by someone's 16 year old nephew, or 2.* That don't give a rat's rear end whether you find it or not.

Take your choice.

You may well be right although the eternal optimist in me thinks that once the forum goes live it will be prominently featured.

But we'll see.

I had problems with my new password but after a couple tries it finally did work.

A caution...I just happened to go into my account at the new PMM site, and they had a completely unknown e-mail id there for me, even though they'd originally contacted me with a new PW etc using my correct id.*Meaning, of course, that it would be possible for them to send personal info to someone else, not that I have anything particularly personal for them to use anyway.
I tried using their contact link to inform them, but of course it didn't work.
Deja vu...

Sure is interesting that PM chose to invite all of us old members back, before they even finished the site. Stupid if you ask me. I logged in with the newly assigned password, and then did a twenty minute search to find out how to change that password to one more intuitive to my memory.*

Conrad wrote:

You may well be right although the eternal optimist in me thinks that once the forum goes live it will be prominently featured.

Conrad
Yes, I'm afraid your optimist is working overtime. I believe it will remain where it is.
Just the pessimist in me speaking.*
no.gif
Or can we say realist?

That web site is just tragically funny. Grand opening, except it doesn't work. Again.

Penta wrote:

I have been a member of both forums for some time, PMM first, and Penta's post above seems so contrary to all that the magazine and the forum stood for, I have to put it to him, seriously, is it possible he was talking about some other yachting forum, and has the names confused...?* I just can't believe he would have received that response from PMM forum.* It is a mag and a forum which started out all about trawlers, not yachts.* Sure, it lost its way because of poor support, especially one Bill Parletore sold out, but they tried to stay true to the original concept.

If they are trying again, I wish them luck, there's room in the Inn, as they say, but I won't hold my breath, especially as I have yet to receive my new username and password.* I rather liked the one I had.* I wonder why they felt the need to do that, for a start.* Sadly, it has not been a good start from what others has posted above, it would seem.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom