Old 07-27-2022, 11:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Raven
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 42 Classic
Passage through Canadian rapids

I'm looking for local knowledge and/or past experience.

I'm planning a cruise this August that will include visiting the Octopus Islands. I also want to visit the Dent Island area. My question is whether, using an 8-9 knot trawler, it would be feasible to negotiate both Hole in the Wall and Yaculta Rapids/Gillard Pass northbound in one go, on the same tide change. My thoughts are to arrive at Hole in the Wall about 1/2 hour before slack (Turn To Ebb) and ride the flood into the passage which would give me time to make it to Gillard Pass at about slack, or a bit after.

Is this inadvisable or is it doable? Other recommendations for this passage?
Gordon GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
You can pick a time when the currents are less, such as in the week that has neither a full moon nor a new moon, then the last hour before and the first hour after slack will be less than a week later. Or you can do Hole in the Wall and spend a pleasant day at Octopus or Wiatt Bay and do Dent another time. We have done both in one go a few times, and we only do 8 knots. Haven't tried to do both during a full moon.

Some will just go for it, if the current is running your way. Our first time through Hole in the Wall was like that, and the current whirled us around in our sailboat, doing a 360 before releasing us. Exciting, but then we had done the same in Dodd.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:12 PM   #3
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa. USA
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
I suggest you get the book Local Knowledge by Kevin Monahan. It has very useful information about transiting all the rapids in Canada. I see you're in Seattle. Send me a PM if you want to talk about cruising that area. We've been there several times.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:16 PM   #4
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Get this book. It will show you max and slow current, along with slack. I use it all the time.

https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/s...3/2022pnp.html
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:37 PM   #5
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
If you are entering YacultaGillard as it turns to Ebb tide you will
Be fine. If you enter As it turns to flood you might make it but a much higher risk.

You can hold up at big bay public dock and wait for the next slack. Local knowledge allows me to run against the flood from Hole in the wall to Dent Island but I know no secrets on RunNing Dent rapids against a flood.

I am going to ask you to be careful. I see 8kt boats running with the rapids at full current all thE time. It’s rare but every now and then the current rips a rudder off and that’s when we have a new story to tell.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
Get this book. It will show you max and slow current, along with slack. I use it all the time.

https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/s...3/2022pnp.html
Yes, have Ports and Passes and have been studying it very closely.
Old 07-27-2022, 01:19 PM   #7
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I second the Waggoneer suggestion. If memory serves me correctly there is also a section in the book on how to cheat the rapids - low tide fluctuation, going with the current, etc.

If you want a "training" rapid, go through Dodd narrows on your way to Nanaimo.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn48 View Post
I second the Waggoneer suggestion. If memory serves me correctly there is also a section in the book on how to cheat the rapids - low tide fluctuation, going with the current, etc.

If you want a "training" rapid, go through Dodd narrows on your way to Nanaimo.
Yes, I've been studying the Waggoneer discussion of negotiating the rapids too.

Have been through Dodd a few times and will be going through on this trip as well. Also, several trips through Deception Pass. I know timing is everything - the difference between "no big deal" and "OH SH*T!!"
Old 07-27-2022, 02:07 PM   #9

City: Brentwood Bay, BC
Vessel Name: Golden Dawn
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Hole in the Wall is deep and relatively straight shot through so OK to run with the current an hour or so after slack. We also use the current prediction in Navionics to double check our tide tables. Good idea to use two different sources to check for slack.

We went through Surge Narrows "an hour or two" after slack once - hit 17 knots on our 7 knot trawler. I am not allowed to do that again.

The biggest problem with Dent and Yucluta Rapids is the boats plowing along at 12-15 knots leaving incredible standing waves in the channel.
Old 07-27-2022, 03:25 PM   #10
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Reading Waggoners, pay particular attention to what direction the water moves on the flood and ebb. It's not always intuitive in that area, including farther west toward Blind Channel and Forward Harbor. Ports and Passes is indispensable for currents' speed and timing. Be careful, especially with big tides. There have been many mishaps there over the years.
Old 07-28-2022, 12:15 AM   #11

City: Maple Bay BC
Vessel Name: Orca
Vessel Model: RFC Coaster 23
As already said, buy the book called “Local Knowledge” by Kevin Monahan.

It addresses these areas explicitly.
Much more very useful information as well.
Greg S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 03:31 PM   #12
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenDawn View Post
The biggest problem with Dent and Yucluta Rapids is the boats plowing along at 12-15 knots leaving incredible standing waves in the channel.
That and a mile long commercial tow where the tail is trying to pass the front end.
soin2la is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by porman View Post
I suggest you get the book Local Knowledge by Kevin Monahan. It has very useful information about transiting all the rapids in Canada.
Retrieved my copy of Monahan from the boat - yes, lots of good info regarding this passage.
Old 08-01-2022, 02:32 PM   #14

City: Vancouver, BC
Vessel Name: Main Attraction
Vessel Model: 2002 Mainship 430 Trawler
The Bible

Volume 6 of the Canadian Tide and Current Tables is the official government documentation on the matter:
https://waves-vagues.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/Library/chs-shc-tct-tmc-vol6-2022-41052560.pdf

Supplementary publications such as Sailing Directions are helpful.
Main Attraction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2022, 04:31 PM   #15
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
John's advice (Golden Dawn) is good. I've been through the Dent/Gillard/Yuculta complex many times (and once in pea-soup fog). I ALWAYS time my transit for Slack at the Dents, even if it means bucking tides at the other spots to do so. The Dents are the most challenging as the flows are not laminar, and even 15 minutes either side of slack are "owly" to say the least with whirl pools present.

Up until a few years ago, the tides for the Dents provided in Coastal Explorer and other "third party" websites were WRONG. They have since corrected that (I prompted them to do so).

I have an Excel spreadsheet calculator that I use for the passage of these three rapids that I use to calculate arrival times at the first rapids, and I ALWAYS use the CHS tables and refer to the calculations for the Secondary Stations. That said, Coastal Explorer now provides the same estimates I derive.

As others have said, Kevin Monahan's book is good.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:05 PM   #16

City: PNW
Vessel Name: MISTRESS
Vessel Model: Horizon 76 Skylounge
We're getting ready to go through Yuculta / Gillard / Dent tomorrow (9-Aug) and since this is my first time through multiple rapids, I would welcome a quick cross-check of my calculations.

Background: We are a 76' motor yacht that can do 20+ knots but we spend most of the time below hull speed. I've done rapids previously (e.g. Malibu, Dodd), and have both the CHS tide tables and volume 3 of Ports and Passes.

I'm planning on hitting these rapids at the flood-to-ebb turn, which for Gillard is listed at 16:02 (all times here PDT). Using the correction for Dent (which I read above should take priority), we'll time things to hit Dent at 15:37 (-0:25 time difference to Gillard).

Yuculta will turn at 16:07 (+0:05), but I'm planning to transit that at around 15:00 in order to be at Dent at that local turn.

Make sense? Thanks in advance!
BCRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #17
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
You appear to be looking good. Having a big yacht will also help you. Please take note that there will be others in the rapids too. Its not necessary to "blow" through the rapids. You will have plenty of time. Understand wakes from the bigger yachts have an affect on the smaller boats.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:00 PM   #18
Guru

Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
My only warning is that Canadian tides are usually not adjusted for Pacific Daylight Time. Just make sure you are not an hour off in your timing.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:47 PM   #19
Guru

City: West Coast
You'll be fine. You know how and you've been given good advice.
Make use of AIS at today's turn to see what boats are lined up, going early and late. AIS on Marine Traffic shows speed, size and often has pictures.
There will for sure be a mix of size and type.
soin2la is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:48 PM   #20

City: PNW
Vessel Name: MISTRESS
Vessel Model: Horizon 76 Skylounge
Thank you very much to all that responded so quickly! It's good getting some "local knowledge" to weigh in.

Checking out today's transits via MarineTraffic is a great idea (which I'll do here in a couple hours). And I'll take it slow through the rapids... with today's diesel prices, I have no interest in "blowing through" anywhere!!! :-)
BCRyan is offline   Reply With Quote