Old 10-22-2007, 06:31 AM   #21
Guru

Vessel Name: Anastasia III
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Passage Maker?

Just for grins, I tried logging into PM again this morning, still down. That's at least 24 hours it's been down. Wonder if they're down for the count?
Keith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 10:28 PM   #22
Scraping Paint

City: Fort Lauderdale
Vessel Model: CHB 48 Zodiac YL 4.2
Passage Maker?

The site was up and running well this afternoon but it seems to be down again tonight. It really is a shame, the place was jumpin this afternoon with more people on it than I have ever seen before.

Either they can't get a decent IT guy or the advertising is continuing to screw it up. Either way, nobody can get to the advertising so there isn't much point in having it there.

Rick
RickB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:54 AM   #23
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
RE: Passage Maker?

For those of you who want to know....I received my PassageMaker, in the mail, 2 days after it appeared on the site. I live in the San Diego area.
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:14 AM   #24
TF Site Team/Forum Founder

City: League City, Tx
Vessel Name: Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Model: Meridian 411
Passage Maker?

Tell your PM friends and bring them over here. Haven't had much trouble so far with the site. It seems to run pretty fast all the time.
Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #25
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Passage Maker?

The only thing pasagemaker seems to have extra is the chat functun. Any plans to put one on here?
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 PM   #26
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Well, PMM is down again?* So you are stuck with me at least until it comes up again.* The PMM site is really low in the number of posts?* Well, at least I have this site to get my daily fix.* I think most of the old regular are on this site already, and many of the discussion on PMM are also post here.*

Way back when PMM was about the same size and number of hits this site has, now they are up to 6,500 with hundred of hits everyday.* * Anyway thanks for the site, and if you do need some help just let us know as it takes time and funds for a site.
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 05:17 PM   #27
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'

Hey Walt,

What in God's Green Earth is that new avitar you have. Sure is'nt your Halvorson.

Eric Henning
30 Willard
Thorne Bay AK
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 08:33 PM   #28
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin

Eric:

Yes it is my boat! Fresh out of the beauty parlor with new paint, Prop Speed and a transducer for my NorthStar 6000i.
Attached Thumbnails
img_1452.jpg  
Codger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 02:36 AM   #29
Guru

City: Mooloolaba
Vessel Name: Flora
Vessel Model: Timber southern cray boat
Passage Maker?

Well Guys I can still get the PM site down here in Aus and I got my latest issue about 2 weeks ago.
The PM site is still slow but I suppose when you travel at 8 knots you can't expect miricles.
I keep saying I won't go back but I allways do.
I enjoy this site no one appears to be scratchin as much and the threads are a bit more open and all the old faces are here.

Benn
Tidahapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008, 04:04 PM   #30

As part of my twelve step program I have been off PMM for one week now.

El Sea
1976 44' Thompson-Suite 44
St Petersburg, Fl
El Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #31
Guru

City: Everett Wa
Vessel Name: Eagle
Vessel Model: Roughwater 58 pilot house

Well, PMM is going through another improved up grade so the site is a mess again.* Looks like we will having to set you our profiles again.* At least this time they did not loose the past posts, so we do not have to build back again.* PMM will probable loose few of its members again.

Te only improvement I can see is the site is prettier, red and pink but the best is our posting count is set back to 0.* *******
Phil Fill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:03 PM   #32
Guru

The sole purpose of Passagemaker is to sell Nordhaven boats.
ancora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 12:15 PM   #33
Enigma

City: Slicker?

Hiya,
** Well, Willy, you've hit the nail on the head as usual.* When I first started reading PMM, the magazine had interesting articles about real world boats and boating.* Then I noticed the "content" sliding to, as you accuratly put it, to more and more fluff.*
** *I recently read (on the PMM website before it became unreadable) that someone asked Bill Pantaloon (sp?) why the shift in the magazine content and his reply was "That's what the readers wanted".** Well, I tell ya Willy, I don't think that's what the boaters wanted and they were readers too.* I really think the vast majority of the PMM readership (and boaters in general) are "ordinary Joe" boaters who just want to read about ordinary boats (for the most part) and their fellow boater's*adventures/trials/tribulations.***The rich folk*have publications such as Yachting, Elite Fleet etc.
** I remember an early article about a couple who had been travelling all over North America on their 1968 36' Grand Banks.* Howard and Jane Brubaker on Stormy Petril-A facinating read.* What about that article on Mi-T-Mo, the ex US Army T-boat.
* Now, the last issue I read was like the website, unreadable.* Who the hell can afford the latest "gadget" as reported in the latest issues-It only costs $55K.* PMM could mention this admirable "gadget" but pu-lease not a 4 page article.
** That's where this site comes in.* Keep it up Trawler Forum guys!
RT Firefly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #34
Guru

City: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Vessel Name: Old School
Vessel Model: 38' Trawler custom built by Hike Metal Products

The head guy at the shipyard where I have my boat gave me some mags the other day, says he gets these all the time and doesn't have time to read them. The one I liked was Soundings, http://www.soundingspub.com/ME2/Default.asp
regular guys, regular boats of all kinds, including trawlers, good stories. Check it out.
Mike
Gulf Comanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #35

First off, I will have to say that if you are unhappy with PMM website, then by happy here. I honestly don't think we have had much trouble as far as operational performance goes....knock on wood.

Now, in defense of their magazine....I know of no girlie magazines that sell really well where the girls are just average and have a little flab here and there and maybe a chipped tooth and their hair really doesn't look all that great.....ya following me here. People really do want to see the fluff and the pretty boats(girls) and the advertisers know this.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.
Old 06-04-2008, 02:41 AM   #36
FF
Guru

PM's problem is GREED , they have no desires beyond selling advertising.

The mag could use some accurate tech info

and the website a DIAL up friendly selection , without Addserver and google video waisting 10 min a page change.

I do the dishes just waiting to perhaps get on.

FF
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:32 AM   #37

This PMM site must be a great place for y'all to endure such pain???
Old 06-04-2008, 05:12 AM   #38
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)

Well I'm not lost in Lima this week, I'm lost in Beijing. Jet lag wore me down so I decided to surf. For the first time in weeks I tried to pull up PMM. Dud big time. For a fun read pull up Setsail and follow Dashew across Atlantic.

I pulled into Nanaimo harbor last week. A real neat clean spot and lots to see if you don't mind walking. I plan on Desolation Sound trip in July with many stops along the way. When boating I forget about surfing PMM - wise choice it seems.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 08:45 AM   #39
FF
Guru

"This PMM site must be a great place for y'all to endure such pain???"

No it googles up fast so its the place the wannabees , hope to bees and novices collect.

They need the most help , esp since most are not the PM targets either in articles or adverts.

Most wannabees seem to be looking at old/used 35 to 45 ft boats for inshore put puting , or cruising the marinas.

These folks have a desperate need for realistic hands on info.

FF

-- Edited by FF at 10:47, 2008-06-04
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 03:01 PM   #40

City: Anacortes, WA
Vessel Name: Thea
Vessel Model: 46 Grand Banks Classic

If ya want a good snicker, take a look at their original "philosophy of PMM' from 12 years ago:

http://www.passagemaker.com/Magazine...6/Default.aspx

It closes with:

"We want to assist you in making your cruising plans attainable, affordable, and enjoyable."

The last issue that I saw had an article about getting and fixing up an older trawler - and three quarters of the items they disucssed doing were "best left to professionals."
Chris Foster is offline   Reply With Quote