Part 2 of Plan "A"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haylands

Vessel Name
Barefoot Lady
Vessel Make
1976 Hatteras 42LRC Mk1
Just got back from three weeks in Florida looking at boats, well actually only two weeks, we were going to head down the keys for some R+R for the last week but the weather was so awful we did a last minute reservation for 6 nights all inclusive down in the Caribbean, 85F and full sun for 6 days should get us through the rest of the UK winter... we saw loads of boats and chilled out for a while.... We also met up with a few folk from this great Forum, drank beer and ate food... We rented a 50ft boat for a week and tried out living aboard and although the boat was the smallest 50ft boat we saw and had little room anywhere, we really enjoyed it, It was just tied to a pier though......

We quickly ruled out a sailing Cat... too awkward to get round or on and off... so concentrated on Trawlers...

We have decided we would like a full displacement 50-60 ft twin diesel engined Trawler with a decent size cockpit and preferably stairs rather than ladders to get up and down with... Must have as many of these features as possible, seperate zone aircon, water maker, decent size genset, bow thruster, covered flybridge, decent davit, rigid, decent size tender, preferably galley up but some of the galley down designs weren't too bad. Aft, full width Master stateroom with good size head and shower, loose saloon furniture.

Hull speed would be around 9.5 to just over 10kn depending on size and that would be more than enough so smaller economical engines preferred over max power...

We prefer the more traditional designs over the modern swoopy lines...

We have set a purchase budget up to $300,000 but at that it would have to be a mint, turnkey boat and there aren't many of them around.... we would consider boats without all our requirements or in need of work at a lower price of course, I am capable of doing any work myself...

We are looking into chartering a boat for a week, probably in the BVI it will cost around $14,000 for a week which will have to come off the purchase budget so we are in two minds.... we've lived on one tied up for a week, been for rides in them, looked at loads.... do we really need to charter one to see if we like it.... can't see we won't if we haven't found any negatives so far.... trouble is we just don't know...????

So, should we or shouldn't we....???

Thought's, comments good or bad welcome....

Cheers....:thumb:

If you could find a year 2006 or so DeFever 56 to 60 with the PH arrangement you'd have the vessel to satisfy your goals. They are rare as hen's teeth but do come on the market from time to time. About 8 years ago PassageMaker had a cover story on one calling it the ideal live aboard for serious cruisers.

Thanks but I think I'd need around three times the budget for a 2006 Defever, I do agree though they are nice boats...:thumb:

Haylands,
If you decide to charter, why not take another couple with you to defray costs? Chances are pretty good that you will have guests onboard for short periods anyway, so why not try that out? That being said, I feel that chartering is nothing like being on your own boat cruising, although it might help you figure out which features you simple must have, and those that you can live without. Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Bill

Welcome.
All I got from your post was "Turn key", "$300k", and "50-60 ft."
I'd probably start looking at custom built boats, likely with a steel hull.

Welcome.

There are plenty of production boats that fit that requirement.

Haylands,
If you decide to charter, why not take another couple with you to defray costs? Chances are pretty good that you will have guests onboard for short periods anyway, so why not try that out? That being said, I feel that chartering is nothing like being on your own boat cruising, although it might help you figure out which features you simple must have, and those that you can live without. Good luck with your search.

Cheers, Bill

We did think that but it's finding someone, it would take 8, if we could find another 6 then it is a reasonable price per head but then we wouldn't get the idea what it would be like with just the two of us.... We don't plan on ruffing it or doing without so most labour saving devices will be needed...!!!!

Haylands

Where do you intend to use this boat?

We plan on living on it for 6 months a year to get away from the UK winters... if we buy one in Florida then we head south till we hit Venezuela (a few years) then turn round and come back... For us the boat is a means to an end, we just want comfy and easy....

Welcome.

My point was $300,000 has to buy the boat and any mods/repairs it needs, but I would do them myself so labour would not be in the equation, just haulout and hard fee's

Yes, I think we will be spoilt for choice, just about all we went on had sufficient headroom for me (6"5') only the Chris Craft were too low... looked at a 47" and a 57" and both were no good....

Yes, I was wrong. There are a surprising amount of older large Hatteras and similar vessels out there for sale at tbat price point. I would imagine more than a few of them may be considered turn key.

"Hull speed would be around 9.5 to just over 10kn depending on size and that would be more than enough so smaller economical engines preferred over max power"

Few folks can afford to cruise at "hull speed" as it will use 2x to 3x the fuel of LRC , long range cruise.

10K is more easily done with 90 to 100 ft of LWL.

Figure the Sq root of the LWL as your LRC cruise speed .

60 ft LOA , plumb stem , no overhang 8K might work.

OR simply use lubber miles and 8 MPH is cheap, easy and probably quiet.

60 ft ,,,10K can be done , but its then defueling speed , not cruise speed.

Yes, that is a lovely boat and would fit the bill... seen a few nice boats for sale that are up there... anyone know how much it would cost to transport it from Vancouver to Florida..?? Thanks

Look at some of the long range Hatteras boats.

We did look at a couple, they look nice as well... Thanks

Highclere Castle

It's close to you and seems about the right size.

Doesn't have a water maker or a decent tender... and if you could get it to move I think the GPH would be unaffordable...

Are you trying to say we're mad and should stay on land...?? Yes we might be, but life's too short to be conservative....

Or are you saying the boat we want is too big...?? I'm 6"5' large build (fat) had my back broken some years ago, it's screwed and wired back together, I've got nerve damage down one leg, two replacement hips and a knackered knee that's been patched up twice and will want replacing soon... and I'm only 50... I can still do most things though but do need space to be able to, so yes, we want a good sized boat....

That is one friggin' beautiful boat...and only US$183K! I wish I could buy that boat!

It's difficult... that does look a beautiful boat, but pictures are deceptive, anything always looks better in photographs than it does in the flesh, one persons immaculate is another's "OK" You spend thousands of dollars to fly there from here and the boat is tatty, poorly maintained, leaking and smelly or the pictures are years old. The broker has lied through their teeth to get you there presuming you will fall in love with it and let your heart take over your head and sign up straight away... Several of the boats we looked at were not worth scrap value, the broker stood there in one, a 1975 Gulfstar 53' Trawler, his feet were on a sodden carpet as it was raining hard outside and only slightly less inside, the master bed was half covered in mould, the wall above it was rotten and falling away, I turned to the other bed in the master (it was one with a double and single bed in the master) to see it covered in rat droppings and had a lump in the far corner that didn't want closer examination, the rest of the boat was in a similar condition.... his words were... "he's asking $140,000 but I'm sure he'd be happy with an offer with an 8 in front of it, it just needs a bit of TLC" my reply was unprintable...!!! I see the price has dropped to $99,000 now but the photographs are well over two years old....

Yes, I was wrong. There are a surprising amount of older large Hatteras and similar vessels out there for sale at tbat price point. I would imagine more than a few of them may be considered turn key.

Yep, there are a lot and the prices are very flexible....

"Hull speed would be around 9.5 to just over 10kn depending on size and that would be more than enough so smaller economical engines preferred over max power"

Few folks can afford to cruise at "hull speed" as it will use 2x to 3x the fuel of LRC , long range cruise.

10K is more easily done with 90 to 100 ft of LWL.

Figure the Sq root of the LWL as your LRC cruise speed .

60 ft LOA , plumb stem , no overhang 8K might work.

OR simply use lubber miles and 8 MPH is cheap, easy and probably quiet.

60 ft ,,,10K can be done , but its then defueling speed , not cruise speed.

FF, thanks, I appreciate that... my point was that we don't need to get anywhere fast and want a boat that is set up for economy and has a nice low GPH.... to us the trip would be as important as the destination, we wouldn't have an itinerary so speed is the last thing we need...

We rented a 50ft boat for a week and tried out living aboard and although the boat was the smallest 50ft boat we saw and had little room anywhere, we really enjoyed it, It was just tied to a pier though......

You might mention what boat you rented...

Our 42 isn't huge, but there are 42s out there that offer 3x -- maybe 4x -- the amount of space we have. A KK 42, for example.

IOW, it's not just length, but style/design/implementation...

-Chris

You might mention what boat you rented...

Our 42 isn't huge, but there are 42s out there that offer 3x -- maybe 4x -- the amount of space we have. A KK 42, for example.

IOW, it's not just length, but style/design/implementation...

-Chris

Sorry, embarrassingly I never asked and it didn't have any badges etc on it... it was this boat...

We did find a lot of difference between the amount of room on particular length boats, the one thing that was fairly stable was the access to and the size of the engine room, anything less than 50ft and for me it would have been nigh on impossible to do any decent servicing or repairs... Having said that, some, well over 50ft, had poor access or size....

Also the longer the boat, the more room each level has, so this reduces the amount of ladders and steps, we want a rear cockpit, similar to the sport fishing boats and this tends to be wasted space as there tends to be little below it and of course nothing above it....

Anyway finding a boat isn't going to be a problem, it will be expensive though so do we waste 5% of the purchase price on a charter or just "go for it"...???

Yes, that is a lovely boat and would fit the bill... seen a few nice boats for sale that are up there... anyone know how much it would cost to transport it from Vancouver to Florida..?? Thanks

$40-50k

The boat that you rented was a 45 Bayliner Pilothouse last produced in 1993. It was replaced by the newer styled 47 Pilothouse which offered more room in the salon , galley and the Pilothouse itself. They get great economy at 6-7 knots and not so bad at 8-9 knots yet they can still run at 16 knots when needed or wanted. The newer 47 will add about 2 knots to the higher cruise speed and can reach 22 knots at WOT. You say you will never use the faster speeds but at times the weather and/or tides and schedules may change you mind.

Tried to view that one but it's still in Panama... the broker said they were going to add $50,000 to the price when it got to Florida... Like that's going to sell...!!!! at the original price, in Florida it wouldn't be bad but if you zoom in on the pics it is a bit tatty and pretty dirty in places, it's been a live aboard for some time.... if that's selling pictures then how bad was it before they cleaned it up???

:eek::eek::eek:

Down the west coast, through the Panama canal and turn left then... how long would that take??

4 months, traveling day time only and no days stopped because of sea conditions. We took 7+ months with plenty of stops but cruise of 20 knots and some overnight runs, plus some breaks for trips home. About 5-6 months without the breaks. But that was with runs as long as 750 nm in 2 days.

The boat that you rented was a 45 Bayliner Pilothouse last produced in 1993. It was replaced by the newer styled 47 Pilothouse which offered more room in the salon , galley and the Pilothouse itself. They get great economy at 6-7 knots and not so bad at 8-9 knots yet they can still run at 16 knots when needed or wanted. The newer 47 will add about 2 knots to the higher cruise speed and can reach 22 knots at WOT. You say you will never use the faster speeds but at times the weather and/or tides and schedules may change you mind.

Oh right, thanks for that... had a central corridor that was narrower than my shoulders, and very small heads, showering was "an art".... The fitted couch was just slightly more comfortable than sitting on a bed of nails.... The boat did "feel" nice though and we did enjoy the experience...

I take your point about the need for more speed sometimes but we won't have a schedule so if the weather or tides aren't right I'll sit and sip Rum until they are :thumb::thumb:

4 months, traveling day time only and no days stopped because of sea conditions. We took 7+ months with plenty of stops but cruise of 20 knots and some overnight runs, plus some breaks for trips home. About 5-6 months without the breaks. But that was with runs as long as 750 nm in 2 days.

Wow... sounds like fun, how many nm was the whole trip...??

Looks like a Nordlund

I think smitty477 got it, it's a Bayliner, I'd just found a picture of one after some googling:thumb:

The problem with the 48 Defever is that stupid 4-foot high space over the trunk cabin. I haven't figured out what its purpose is...I doubt it is even high enough to sit on.

Gordon

I wondered that from the pictures but presumed it was usable space... does look a bit funny though....!!!

Wow... sounds like fun, how many nm was the whole trip...??
:

Can be done in under 6,000 nm. In fact, shortest distance shows about 5,300 nm. We logged a total of right at 8,000 nm. 470 engine hours. Average speed 17 knots. We visited 36 ports/docked at 36 marinas.

7 in Mexico
1 in Guatemala
1 in El Salvador
1 in Nicaragua
4 in Costa Rica
3 in Panama
1 in Cayman Islands
1 in Jamaica
1 in Belize
2 more in Mexico

2 in Washington
3 in Oregon