Part 2 of Plan "A"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sounds like a great adventure, and not as far as I thought...:thumb::thumb:

What a trip B :thumb:

Everywhere we went, we left hoping to return one day. We try to do that. Stay long enough to enjoy but not to the point of feeling we experienced it all. We've always lived on the East Coast and all our cruising until 2014 was East. All our travels had been East, even before cruising. Until 2014 we'd never been to any of the western states (except I spent a month in Oregon one week on business plus passing through airports) so from Alaska to Cancun, Jamaica, Cayman Islands and everything in between it was our first time by land or water.

It's why I always suggest if you have the time to transport a boat by water, wherever it is. We did break our cruising home with flights home and back occasionally as we always do.

We had no idea what our cruising pattern would be when we started. How would we until we actually did it? However, we've tried to make it where we never get tired of cruising or being home but always anxious to arrive either to the boat or home. We've found that 6 weeks (2 months occasionally) is the perfect time out for us. Then three weeks home and we're ready to go again. Now while home we do boat. In three weeks we'll boat 5 to 9 days.

Others will find differently. What is odd is that with our previous NC home, we could have hit the water and cruised year round with no regrets, except occasional trips to family and to the orphanage we love. Somehow in Florida though we ended up with a huge community of new family and it's more a home to us and we can't be gone all the time, our land home is more important to us now. I attribute it to the fact than in NC we were both working and we didn't have the time to build the same relationships, plus we had to remain even more protected and private than we do now. The people we worked with were important to us, but we only knew them on a work basis.

I wondered that from the pictures but presumed it was usable space... does look a bit funny though....!!!

I believe what you are referring to is the aft cabin.

Marty..................

Originally Posted by Haylands
I wondered that from the pictures but presumed it was usable space... does look a bit funny though....!!!

I believe what you are referring to is the aft cabin.

Marty..................

No it's the space above the aft cabin, there is a floor area but only a few feet of head room.....

Pete-if you can't make the trip Mr & Mrsb B did, you can ship the boat as deck cargo. Cost will probably be closer to $60K. If you ever need it, google Peters & May, they specialize in yacht shipping world wide. The caveat is you cannot go from a US port to a US port, so from the PNW the boat has to load in Vancouver if offloading in Miami.

The problem with the 48 Defever is that stupid 4-foot high space over the trunk cabin. I haven't figured out what its purpose is...I doubt it is even high enough to sit on.

Gordon

Gordon, what brand and type of boat do you have? I promise I will be gentle in my silly open season potshots. Ditto your purchase when you make one Haylands. :rolleyes:

The caveat is you cannot go from a US port to a US port, so from the PNW the boat has to load in Vancouver if offloading in Miami.

Victoria is a common yacht loading BC port.

Pete-if you can't make the trip Mr & Mrsb B did, you can ship the boat as deck cargo. Cost will probably be closer to $60K. If you ever need it, google Peters & May, they specialize in yacht shipping world wide. The caveat is you cannot go from a US port to a US port, so from the PNW the boat has to load in Vancouver if offloading in Miami.

Thanks for that, does add a big heap of money to the price though...

Gordon, what brand and type of boat do you have? I promise I will be gentle in my silly open season potshots. Ditto your purchase when you make one Haylands. :rolleyes:

We really like the Defevers, the one thing we did learn was that it's impossible to guess what a boat will be like by photos... It does look like that space is awkward to use... what is it like then?? we do appreciate boats are always a compromise, does the additional interior space offset the inconvenience of reduced headroom in that area...???

Victoria is a common yacht loading BC port.

Thanks, think we will concentrate on boats east of Panama...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom