Paravanes boom position?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Works great ! : )

I was mostly done and ready with the system on last thursday, ready for our off coast weekend fishing trip. We rented a nice cabin w/ dock near the fishing grounds. What is left to do is to fabricate the pole cradles/stoppers and perfect the retrieval system, paint, weld in a few reinforcements to the mast and so on. I used cargo straps as a temporary way to secure the poles in resting position.

It all works really well, even with only the poles out. It's like a new boat :dance:
I will replace the vanes' lifting plates when I get hold of some lead.

Total material cost is around USD $1200

Thanks for all the help, guys ! :thumb:

Attachments

• firebmast.jpg
    firebmast.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 68
  • firebmastetopp.jpg
    firebmastetopp.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20180309_170559.jpg
    IMG_20180309_170559.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_20180309_142404.jpg
    IMG_20180309_142404.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20180309_152554.jpg
    IMG_20180309_152554.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_20180305_202635.jpg
    IMG_20180305_202635.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20180309_142353.jpg
    IMG_20180309_142353.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20180309_170453.jpg
    IMG_20180309_170453.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 58
Last edited:
Might want to make a spare fish just in case you loose one, but hang it on the cabin wall to view and enjoy. Looks like a piece of modern sculpture. Great job!

This is from this weekends visit to the fishing village. Lovely place. My boats yellow line will soon become green.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-12-17-46-08.jpg
    Screenshot_2018-03-12-17-46-08.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 59
Looks good, Cold. Looks like you had fun too, which, after all, is what all this nonsense is all about.

Looks good, Cold. Looks like you had fun too, which, after all, is what all this nonsense is all about.

Thanks, Xsbank !

Yes, my brother and both of my uncles are all ecstatic after this weekend trip. We had a great time, and the stabilizers made us feel a lot more comfortable and safer too ! We met people near the coast with new ~25 feet pilothouse boats who told us that they got scared by the waves offshore. We almost didn't notice those waves now with the vanes out. :)

Now I'm planning to go even further out to catch the really big cod during easter, with my dad and three brothers/one sis :angel:

Attachments

• skrei.jpg
    skrei.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
This is my crude retrieval system. I haven't installed any 'hooks' along the gunwales yet, so I had to hoist the vanes up manually from the bow-area. I installed a clamp near the top of the poles to act as a hook/guide for the line. I whip the line a little to make it rest on top of the clamp. That way, the ss-ring stays out of the water. By using a clamp I can experiment a little and find the perfect position, so later I will weld on a piece of rod. I will also replace the retrieval line with a thicker line later on.

My uncles told me that it was easy to pull in the poles manually (while I secured them with straps), so I don't know yet what I will do about that. No rush. Last pic shows a simple and cheap block for the pole retrieval.

Attachments

• IMG_20180313_123203.jpg
    IMG_20180313_123203.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 51
  • hook.jpg
    hook.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 42
  • poleretriv.jpg
    poleretriv.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Cradles ?

One thing I haven't seen any close-up pics of yet, are the cradles for the poles and how you all secure them. Do you simply use the retrieval line to both pull and also hold the poles to the cradles ?

I made one cradle this afternoon, and tacked it into place. Curved cradles from pipe probably look nicer, but I didn't bother. The tips are slightly tapered to help guide the poles into position. I use pieces of splash guard rubber inside the cradles for damping. I also plan to use an adjustable toggle latch to secure the poles. I may have to weld on a rod w/cradles higher up on the mast later on. Now the poles retrieval lines are secured to the wheelhouse handrails, seems sturdy enough.

Attachments

• cradle.jpg
    cradle.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 90
  • cradle2.jpg
    cradle2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 94
  • toggle latch.jpg
    toggle latch.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
Don’t bother with the latches, I have my lines cleated off and the poles stay put. I’ll try and remember to take a pic tomorrow.

Angle

My system is working well, but I clearly have to modify the vanes. Sometimes it appears as they are behind the boat, so there is too much friction or drag from the lifting weights, and/or they are too light weight for the size (~300 sq in ). And this of course is not optimal nor efficient. I welded on some extra steel to the mounts to have more holes, but that doesn't help much either.

At 7 knots the cables from the poles are around 45 degrees down to the vanes. :lol:

Attachments

• cable1.jpg
    cable1.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 72
  • cable2.jpg
    cable2.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 73
  • cable3.jpg
    cable3.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 78
CS: Our lead weights on our old ~300 square inch fish weighed 27lbs, 1/2 of a 55 lb down rigger ball. The first picture shows the fish traveling beyond vertical. The line at the bottom of the screen is 5.2' aft of the pole. So maybe not 45 degrees but they're back some.

Attachments

• 019a.jpg
    019a.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 60
  • Hobo (1)a.jpg
    Hobo (1)a.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 63
My setup. That pile of line is the pole-retraction line. The fish just sits in its bracket.

Attachments

• IMG_0095.jpg
    IMG_0095.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 55
The pole in its home. (sailboat next door).

Attachments

• IMG_0096.jpg
    IMG_0096.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 78
Finally, a shot of the rigging retracted. Although you might be fooled, no, that's a piling and not on my boat!

Attachments

• IMG_0097.jpg
    IMG_0097.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 53
...Sometimes it appears as they are behind the boat, so there is too much friction or drag from the lifting weights, and/or they are too light weight for the size (~300 sq in ). And this of course is not optimal nor efficient... At 7 knots the cables from the poles are around 45 degrees down to the vanes. :lol:

I mentioned earlier that I don’t use some of the rigging that came with my setup. It includes a galvanized ring of about 15 cm diameter with two lines attached. When we were in False Creek a couple of weeks ago, a former Canadian Coast Guard officer looked at my setup and he said without the ring and lines, the paravanes would travel too far aft for optimal efficiency. Of course the chain to the paravane would go through the ring, the longest line to the hause hole on the bow (each side) and secured on a cleat and The shorter line though the hause hole amidships. This would prevent the chain travelling so far aft. I will try that setup and see how it operates next time they are deployed.

That might be something you could consider and an easy fix.

Jim

You definitely don't want them too far aft because they are too close to the surface - if you roll suddenly parallel to a wave a fish could pop out of the water and that could be deadly.

CS: Our lead weights on our old ~300 square inch fish weighed 27lbs, 1/2 of a 55 lb down rigger ball. The first picture shows the fish traveling beyond vertical. The line at the bottom of the screen is 5.2' aft of the pole. So maybe not 45 degrees but they're back some.

Thank you, I have sourced some big old batteries now - so I just have to man up and get that lead melted and pour it into the moulds.

I mentioned earlier that I don’t use some of the rigging that came with my setup. It includes a galvanized ring of about 15 cm diameter with two lines attached. When we were in False Creek a couple of weeks ago, a former Canadian Coast Guard officer looked at my setup and he said without the ring and lines, the paravanes would travel too far aft for optimal efficiency. Of course the chain to the paravane would go through the ring, the longest line to the hause hole on the bow (each side) and secured on a cleat and The shorter line though the hause hole amidships. This would prevent the chain travelling so far aft. I will try that setup and see how it operates next time they are deployed.

That might be something you could consider and an easy fix.

Jim

Thanks, so this then means that the upper part of the cable from the poles could be kept vertical - while the lower part would bend back ? Wouldn't this also bring the cables closer to the boat ? I don't think I have seen pics of anyone having this installed.

Last edited:
Wouldn't this also bring the cables closer to the boat ? I don't think I have seen pics of anyone having this installed.

I’m not sure. I haven’t tried it yet. I will do so and get back to you on it.

Many boats run the poles way too high, loosing spread, and encouraging the fish to drag way back due to the length of the cable. Running the poles in a more horizontal position, as low as practical and safe, reduces cable length, improves spread, and shortens back drag.
Don’t think I’d want to tether the cable to the bow, that’s counterproductive, as mentioned above by Cold Smoke.
Finding the optimal adjustment for a particular setup requires some fiddling around with things, not the least of which is the throttle adjustment!

Many boats run the poles way too high, loosing spread, and encouraging the fish to drag way back due to the length of the cable. Running the poles in a more horizontal position, as low as practical and safe, reduces cable length, improves spread, and shortens back drag.
!

Thanks, I'm sure this is correct. But I worry about tripping with the poles too low, as mentioned by others - and the Transport Canada bulletins etc.

I guess we would be fine having the poles low like this yacht here.

Attachments

• lowpoles.jpg
    lowpoles.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 61
  • shrimp_boat.jpg
    shrimp_boat.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 57
Well, as this thread has gone quiet I'll make the announcement that we are starting .
Have galv fish, big springs if needed and big diameter, heavy wall ally tube sitting waiting surplus to another boat.
Access to mig and other gear and I have the skills.
Probably be a bit further aft than ideal, but its where substantial support is.

We are thinking 50x6 s/s flatbar to attach uphaul to running across the roof , under the solar panels and inline with a bulkhead and on top of a laminated beam.
Way oversize holes in the timber, filled with epoxy and microfiber and then re-drill to suit metal threads and screw in with liquid epoxy. (Did this on mainsheet traveller on previous boat with huge loads and not a hint of fail)

Beers and consultation with someone more knowledgeable next month.
Work to start when next on the hard in two to three months.

Proposed position in pic.
Other spot would be just forward of the funnel,which I would be happier with structurally, but apparently that may be too much wave action in the rough and increased chance of flying fish.

Attachments

• sketch-1522743943422~01.jpg
    sketch-1522743943422~01.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
For your consideration, close enough to 50% mark and position of arm if done in the front location

Attachments

• sketch-1522746989340~01.jpg
    sketch-1522746989340~01.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 48
Back
Top Bottom