Paravanes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Quiet contemplation is usually a very good thing.

We look forward to your elegant solution.

The holes in the paravane where it is picked up was not the final version, it was good for testing but too weak for long-term use. After testing, it became clear where the right starting point is, now the final version has been put into effect. A 10mm thick stainless steel dot welded into the existing 5mm thick strip from the paravane, now there is more material so that it wears out less quickly.

CN0T0wQ.jpg

My thoughts exactly, that would be also very interesting information.

The processing depends on the condition of the stainless steel.
In the roughest version, the stainless steel is first processed with a lamella disc grain 120.
These move in equal movements with little pressure in the length of the material so that all deep pits and scratches are out.
Then, with a rotating sander, 260 correct the imperfections and scratches caused by the lamella disc and from sanding.
After sanding with a rotating sander with grain 360 but is not always necessary, it depends on the shape of the material.
Round (tube) or flat (plate) there is a lot of difference in the amount of work / time that is needed to polish the stainless steel.
Round is the easiest and fastest because you process the material on a small surface.
After sanding, a drill or a stationer polisher with a polishing disc and adding a polishing agent can be polished.
For example, the polish is available in blocks in different coarseness, the colors of the polishing blocks indicate the coarseness.
If the stainless steel is free of imperfections, sanding with grain 360 is sufficient, with sheet material in some cases the sanding process can be skipped and immediately started polishing.
The stronger the machines and good quality sandpaper (3M) the faster the process!

https://www.hbm-machines.com/nl/p/hbm-4-delig-polijstpastaset#

https://www.hbm-machines.com/nl/p/hbm-250-mm-profi-polijstmachine#

The processing depends on the condition of the stainless steel.
In the roughest version, the stainless steel is first processed with a lamella disc grain 120.
These move in equal movements with little pressure in the length of the material so that all deep pits and scratches are out.
Then, with a rotating sander, 260 correct the imperfections and scratches caused by the lamella disc and from sanding.
After sanding with a rotating sander with grain 360 but is not always necessary, it depends on the shape of the material.
Round (tube) or flat (plate) there is a lot of difference in the amount of work / time that is needed to polish the stainless steel.
Round is the easiest and fastest because you process the material on a small surface.
After sanding, a drill or a stationer polisher with a polishing disc and adding a polishing agent can be polished.
For example, the polish is available in blocks in different coarseness, the colors of the polishing blocks indicate the coarseness.
If the stainless steel is free of imperfections, sanding with grain 360 is sufficient, with sheet material in some cases the sanding process can be skipped and immediately started polishing.
The stronger the machines and good quality sandpaper (3M) the faster the process!

https://www.hbm-machines.com/nl/p/hbm-4-delig-polijstpastaset#

https://www.hbm-machines.com/nl/p/hbm-250-mm-profi-polijstmachine#

Thank you! I don't have a lot of stainless on our boat to do, but I've been wanting to come up with a plan for polishing my bronze fittings, such as my mast/boom hardware and deck cleats.

Thank you! I don't have a lot of stainless on our boat to do, but I've been wanting to come up with a plan for polishing my bronze fittings, such as my mast/boom hardware and deck cleats.

They won't stay shiny very long ...

Just a little update.

The second boom is placed, the second paravane is ready, both are stored in the holders against the cockpit wall.
The coupler that connects the two booms, when they are at rest, has been replaced by another one with no play on it, the first version had too much movement.
What remains, purchase and assemble the second winch, the electrical part is already ready for this.
Then test test and test.

What has also been adjusted is the foundation of the booms on the mast base, which are also stamped on the wheelhouse roof.

Here are a few pictures for the experience;

JMtE70O.jpg

hgKbAub.jpg

zPJdXZr.jpg

DE5Gc0Q.jpg

Just added a picture of the lighting of the outside steering position, the booms can also be used for this.
Furthermore, they are used for setting up a sun tent, lowering the mast, raising and lowering and storing the gangway, possibly lighting the engine, feeding the tarpaulin and of course the paravanes.

N5vF57e.jpg

Mvg,

Pascal.

Just a little update.

The second boom is placed, the second paravane is ready, both are stored in the holders against the cockpit wall.
The coupler that connects the two booms, when they are at rest, has been replaced by another one with no play on it, the first version had too much movement.
What remains, purchase and assemble the second winch, the electrical part is already ready for this.
Then test test and test.

What has also been adjusted is the foundation of the booms on the mast base, which are also stamped on the wheelhouse roof.

Here are a few pictures for the experience;

JMtE70O.jpg

hgKbAub.jpg

zPJdXZr.jpg

DE5Gc0Q.jpg

Just added a picture of the lighting of the outside steering position, the booms can also be used for this.
Furthermore, they are used for setting up a sun tent, lowering the mast, raising and lowering and storing the gangway, possibly lighting the engine, feeding the tarpaulin and of course the paravanes.

N5vF57e.jpg

Mvg,

Pascal.

Neat and sturdy, a real clean work from a Dutch man! I know what I say, my trawler has been built in Maasbracht byTinnemans BV...��

Here's a little update to the story paravane.

The whole system is ready, but (fortunately) we haven't ended up in bad weather to test them yet.
Here are some pictures of what it looks like now.

The modification of the electrical part for the power supply of the two winches.

MQxY7Vr.jpg

ZGDZUF6.jpg

kOipOHC.jpg

V54zs6v.jpg

rAR24dr.jpg

3uAidD7.jpg

The two booms are boomed with the paravanes in the water.

UHKVH2M.jpg

LG1l5bj.jpg

Mvg,

Pascal.

Incredible craftmanship !

Ongelofelijk vakwerk. Petje af, dit doe ik je niet na, zelfs in mijn dromen niet.:thumb::thumb:

Thanks for the compliments, it's always nice to mess around a bit.

Here are a few pictures of the booms in use as sun screens.
Two attachment points made of stainless steel for attaching the sun screens.

rkxYOtE.jpg

5biVgn0.jpg

D26p9Bc.jpg

I made a punch from the old propeller shaft on the lathe for attaching the rings in the sun screens.

tA6cydb.jpg

The captain behind the sewing machine.

YSTTW49.jpg

O3SYmJP.jpg

cXmALYX.jpg

MeXBK7y.jpg

Greeting

Pascal.

i can only wish for such craftsmanship on my boat or with any other item in my possession.

WOW

Thank you for the compliment!

We are always working on the boat and are constantly maintaining and improving.
Recently I made an improvement to guide the mooring ropes better over the bow.
When the ropes ran over the bow they were caught by the railing, but that is not wanted.
But because we also often get on and off over the bow, something has to be invented that is not a hoist.
Pictures are worth a thousand words;

E5MJGQU.jpg

BxdRUBN.jpg

AVazDj0.jpg

ss37987.jpg

PF96Soi.jpg

4gU0h7O.jpg

LwxpvzK.jpg

mDwT7Pa.jpg

JGLrKze.jpg

6WIdqRe.jpg

sDsKlCM.jpg