Old 07-11-2018, 10:22 PM   #161
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Glad you four are safely back in your home waters. It was our great pleasure to meet all of you and be able to have you here on the 4th for some dinner, then out on Pairadice to watch the fireworks.

If all goes as planned we'll be in your neighborhood on Monday afternoon, hope to stay at CRYC, then to Multnomah Yacht Repair on Tuesday. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 PM   #162
Guru

City: Bellingham WA
Vessel Name: Hatt Trick
Vessel Model: 45' Hatteras Convertible
Tom and John.....I've been watching your river trip from AK. We're in Sitka for another week or so. It's not the same up here without the ASD and Pairadice pirates! I know Crusty is keen on Mexico next year. I'd bet that your 2019 adventures will be in the Sea of Cortez.
Ken E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:51 PM   #163
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Glad you four are safely back in your home waters. It was our great pleasure to meet all of you and be able to have you here on the 4th for some dinner, then out on Pairadice to watch the fireworks.

If all goes as planned we'll be in your neighborhood on Monday afternoon, hope to stay at CRYC, then to Multnomah Yacht Repair on Tuesday. Keep your fingers crossed.
Mike,

If you need anything, a ride, help on getting your boat in, please dont hesitate in contacting me.

Cheers my friend.
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:00 AM   #164
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Tom and John.....I've been watching your river trip from AK. We're in Sitka for another week or so. It's not the same up here without the ASD and Pairadice pirates! I know Crusty is keen on Mexico next year. I'd bet that your 2019 adventures will be in the Sea of Cortez.
Ken,

We were sitting on the dock just below Beacon Rock and had a discussion not only about this trip but how much we missed the Alaska adventure. It truly is amazing after nearly 10,000 miles how many really cool people we have met along the way, all living the dream. What’s even more amazing is how many of them are TFer’s. It is such a experience to put a face to the individual that we have shared on the ole interweb.
We are looking forward to the trip south next year. ASD will return to Alaska as many of you will also. We wish you all fair winds and following seas. And may you meet a few more friends along the way that will remain friends for as long as you live.

Cheers my friend, John

PS, are you still carrying a few AA’s on board for those special occasions?
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #165
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken E. View Post
Too dang hot going south, ASD will be heading north next summer.
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #166
Guru

So one last adventure today. We were heading down the Columbia by Kalama WA. We let a fuel barge pass us as we were just enjoying the morning cruise back to our winter dock. It was a bit windy and some serious wind waves were going on. Then we see a fishing boat with everyone waving at us. I thought they were saying hi. Then we realized they were signaling for help.

We turned around and there was a boat load of people, grandpa, son, daughter and 3 kids, all out for a day of fishing. Grandpa stated they had run out of gas and asked for a tow. I stated "really you ran out of gas." He said yes, we had a 1/4 tank on the gage when they left. All of this going on in 4ft wind waves.....

I told him to hold on as I would have to lower my dinghy and the Yacht does not tow. The Admiral stepped up to the plate and took over ASD as I lowered the tender, while bouncing all around. My dink has a VHF radio so I could talk to the Admiral. I call the Coast Guard and stated I was in the shipping lanes doing a rescue tow.

It took about an hour to get back to Kalama, with ASD standing guard. It was actually a pretty cool sight. Grandma was waiting at the dock, crying and thanking me over and over.

Grandpa approached me with a wad of bills. I stated no thank you, but you could do me a favor. He stated he owed me and anything.

I told him to take that cash and invest in a VHF radio. The big ships are not going to see you waving or stop to avoid you and your awesome grand kids.Its just down right dangerous and he was risking his life and those on board, especially your grandkids. He responded"You are right." I called ASD and had the Admiral meet me in a bay where the wind was less and I could raise the tender back on ASD without getting beat up.

I pulled away from the dock with a smile and call the Coast Guard with all safe message.
Old 07-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #167
GFC
Guru

City: Tri Cities, WA
Good job Tom. That's what boaters do for other boaters who aren't as well equipped or trained.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #168
Guru

City: Sea of Cortez, Mexico
Vessel Name: Irene
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 40II
Nice work with the tow, Tom. Many lives assisted or perhaps saved!

Thanks for taking us workin' folk along on another grand adventure.

See you on your way by in May?
IRENE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 08:09 PM   #169
Guru

You bet buddy. I want to tie up next to that Nordy.....
Old 07-12-2018, 08:56 PM   #170
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Tom, got your text and it will be done. Thanks for doing the "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner" thing with us. We really enjoyed the whole afternoon/evening with you four.

Boat safely and have fun.
Check your wallet!!!
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:06 PM   #171
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
So one last adventure today. We were heading down the Columbia by Kalama WA. We let a fuel barge pass us as we were just enjoying the morning cruise back to our winter dock. It was a bit windy and some serious wind waves were going on. Then we see a fishing boat with everyone waving at us. I thought they were saying hi. Then we realized they were signaling for help.

We turned around and there was a boat load of people, grandpa, son, daughter and 3 kids
I pulled away from the dock with a smile and call the Coast Guard with all safe message.
Tom, nothing feels as good as a good deed done. Congratulations for the lesson for Grandfather. Sound advise, it is forum members such as yourselves that makes the rest of us thankful for examples of seamanship you displayed.
Looking so to your voyage up this way next year. Will have the Alaska brew on ice.
Many post in the meanwhile.

Al-Ketchikan
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:42 PM   #172
Guru

City: Port Townsend and La Paz
Vessel Name: Domino and Libra
Vessel Model: Malcom Tennant 20M and Noordzee Kotter 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Sea-Duction View Post
We left Hood River yesterday with 35mph winds on our bow.

We are leaving in a few hours for our winter dock, while Pairadice returns to Portland to start preparations for next summer's trip south. We will miss them a lot.

I am sure Crusty will add a final word here with stats and such. It was an interesting trip and fun with our friends. We met fellow TFs along the way who treated us like royalty. Would I do it again. Probably not for a very long time. The biggest disappointment was Hell's Canyon Resort in Clarkston, WA. The City of Clarkston needs to take over that operation.

Thanks for taking us along again guys.
This being my home turf I wondered what you guys would think of this trip and think I am seeing a little f what I might have expected in the paragraph above.
I do not think this trip would be on my ‘top ten’ list but thinks parts of it would be interesting.
I think my ideal trip on the Columbia would be on a nice trailerable and later in the year after the current and temperatures subside significantly. The nice thing about a trailerable besides a size and draft potentially more appropriate for this water is that you you could pull it out at the Tri Cities after you have seen most of what is worth seeing on the lower main stem and then drop it back in the water in the Columbia River pool above Grand Coulee Dam they call Lake Roosevelt. For my taste, that is a spectacular body of water. You cannot get there from the lower main stem in a big boat.
I think that trip and Lake Roosevelt in Sept/October would be a trip worth doing.
Old 07-13-2018, 12:32 AM   #173
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
ASD, well done on the tow and the advice.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2021, 09:33 PM   #174

City: Portland
Vessel Name: 42
Vessel Model: Ocean Marine
The current in the Portland area is most often in the neighborhood of 1-3 knots or so. The Portland area is about as far inland as the tide will affect the river flow, in a practical sense tide only matters when river flow is low.

Time of year is a big factor and weather. Late summer, lower water. With all the rain lately the Colombia is up but the Willimette is really high, that means a lot more water heading for the ocean downstream of Portland.

In spring runoff times the Bonneville Dam spillway whitewater is an epic sight.

The dam is where it is because the river is narrow there, and it's narrow because of an ancient landslide from the WA side. The wider parts are slower of course.
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote