Painting top sides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mach_cat

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
1981 Hardin Sedan 42
My boat topsides are in need of some paint, hmm in need of a lot of paint.

Who has painted their topsides by hand, and what do you recommend?

Can it be nicely done with a brush and roller? Maybe a light duty sprayer but would be worried about boats near by.

the boat is currently all white, thinking of leaving the hull white but looking maybe for some accent color on the deck house sides and the supports to the flybridge. would like some suggestions of other colors that would work.

What do you call the diagonal supports that a sedan cruiser has?? these are what i would really like to have some other color.

Thanks Ed

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. Mc. We did our boat with Alexseal. It's the only epoxy type paint I've ever used so I can't give you a comparative opinion. Went on really nicely via the roll and tip method. I've heard the uprights referred to as decorator bars.

Roll n Tip ....... there are many sites and incl. you tube vids. .... FB

Sterling Roll and Tip Application

:thumb: I agree but practice on an easy section. You can always sand it off and try again. Ask me how I know. :facepalm:

Or work with a painter, you do all the prep under his guidance and let him do the final application. The prep is where the majority of the time/money's spent.

We just painted our cabin and flybridge with EMC Quantum paint. It was very easy to use. It appears very hard after a couple of days. Very very shiny. It is really easy since you only roll it on and stretch it out very thin. You don't need to tip it except in locations that you can't get to to roll out. What we found in a very tight area under a hand rail that was impossible to remove, was to mask and use their spray cans. They are 2 part spray cans, you push in a button on the bottom that pierces a seperate can inside and mixes the second part into the can. The cans are expensive at $60 but work great. I can't speak as to durability since it has only been 3 days, but Ship Shape TV has been using it for a while and hasn't had any problems. Their support has been great. I even texted the rep on a Saturday night at 6 PM and he responded within minutes with the answer.

Another vote for Sterling using the roll and tip method. It is also great paint to spray for aircraft.

Did the top side of LUNASEA, cabin and flybridge, last month with Interlux Brightside. It is a self leveling paint, used roll and tip method came out great.

I've also heard them referred to as fashion plates.

Roll and tip.

I call them Flybridge Supports.
The big problem with spraying is the amount of masking needed. Roll tip is a good solution, I have seen some excellent results. As always,good preparation is the key.

"As always,good preparation is the key."

TRUE , but the quality of the roller and the brush for the tip also counts.

We use a brush that would normally be used for varnish for best results.

"As always,good preparation is the key."

TRUE , but the quality of the roller and the brush for the tip also counts.

We use a brush that would normally be used for varnish for best results.

On LUNASEA the smallest size nap roller worked the best 1/16, not much tipping needed.

I sprayed mine with Interlux Perfection. The results were simply amazing. And looks perhaps better than new. It's been two years and it still cleans like a dream.

The boat was hauled and put out of overspray range of any other boat in Mid September. I used a HVLP sprayer. And high end respirator is a must!! The fumes were awful, so bad that I would never do the job again. We had tried roll and tip, but could never seem to get the thinning and timing right. Perfection,for us, was extremely difficult to work with. It took three very thin coats to achieve the results we were looking for. With sanding between coats, including initial prep and primer that was four times around the boat sanding.
As I said never again. Mostly because of the noxious nature of the product.

Again look at EMC Quantum. No tipping, just roll it on. It is amazing. I have used 2 part before and did roll and tip. Quantum is waaay easier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom