Paddlewheeler on the Ponchatrain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wheeler

Hi Gang

I am in process of purchasing a 52’ custom built paddlewheeler, for restoration and Liveaboard! It is a small, unique community of sailors but they don’t have a strong web presence, so I decided to join this forum as it seems to be full of likeminded folks!

And I’m sure my father-in-law is somewhere on here, as he’s got an Albin 36 AND another smaller trawler.

Anyway, I’ll be poking around asking questions and looking for advice. Here is a picture of the old girl; named The Pelican.

Attachments

• 904E1FB7-05F8-49D3-9164-08D20022B657.jpg
    904E1FB7-05F8-49D3-9164-08D20022B657.jpg
    198 KB · Views: 86
Is the paddle wheel powered by water or does it push water?
How many rudders does she have.
I’ve seen some interesting arrangements on sternwheelers.

The wheel pushes water. It’s driven by a Perkins 220hp diesel connected to a link belt gear box and chain drive. It’s flat bottomed and sails primarily on inland waterways.

I know it’s not a trawler, but it’s a boat built for travel and adventure! I feel the spirit of it is in keeping with what goes on around here, and the specific info I’m looking for is in abundance here.

A pic of the wheel
IMG_0878.jpg

It’s got two main rudders aft of the wheel. This one seems to be lacking the monkey rudders that are normally installed forward of the wheel, which manage the astern handling.

Interesting and really beautiful.

Shield that chain and sprocket before somebody looses an arm or finger.

Your lake looks as High as Lake Michigan, overflowing the banks most of last year.

pete

The wheel pushes water. It’s driven by a Perkins 220hp diesel connected to a link belt gear box and chain drive. It’s flat bottomed and sails primarily on inland waterways.

I know it’s not a trawler, but it’s a boat built for travel and adventure! I feel the spirit of it is in keeping with what goes on around here, and the specific info I’m looking for is in abundance here.

A pic of the wheel
View attachment 100387

You are perfectly correct and in tune! Welcome aboard!

Now I know why we call our props wheels!

Welcome to the forum! How old is the vessel?

Hi Gang

I am in process of purchasing a 52’ custom built paddlewheeler, for restoration and Liveaboard! It is a small, unique community of sailors but they don’t have a strong web presence, so I decided to join this forum as it seems to be full of likeminded folks!

And I’m sure my father-in-law is somewhere on here, as he’s got an Albin 36 AND another smaller trawler.

Anyway, I’ll be poking around asking questions and looking for advice. Here is a picture of the old girl; named The Pelican.

Yes, indeed, although called trawler forum, anything that floats is welcome on here, as long as accompanied by photos, of course. I love the look of that paddle-steamer. Hey, what do you call one that has diesel engines..? Not literally a steamer is it..? I see - you post answered my own question - paddle-wheeler. Works for me..! I suspect the two Kookaburra Queens on our Brisbane river are the same.
https://kookaburrariverqueens.com

Is that the boat up the Tickfaw river? If so I saw it last spring while exploring the area by dingy from the Blood River Marina. While passing I (briefly) thought about what a fun project it would be! My wife just looked at me and quickly said NO before I could even mention it....

I'm looking forward to following your progress. That's a truly beautiful cruising area that most boaters never see. Good Luck!!

Now this is going to be a fun project :thumb: Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the warm welcome! To answer a few questions:

While a paddlewheeler, this one is known more specifically as a stern wheeler. As opposed to a side wheeler, which would have a wheel either side.

The hull is 52’ x 17’. Add the wheel and LOA is ~63’. Custom built between 1989 and 1991.

I’ve been busy calling and speaking to the old timers that have built these and operate them today. It is not a young mans game. They have been great and I’m learning a lot.

I’m putting together a budget and a list of comps before making an offer. Lots of research so far and the more I learn, the more interested I get!

And a few more pics as requested. Generator, wheelhouse, some interior shots.

IMG_0956.jpg
IMG_0955.jpg
IMG_0896.jpg
IMG_0886.jpg
IMG_0936.jpg
IMG_0894.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg

WOW!!! Very nice!!! Welocme aboard!

We love stuff like this. Please Keep us updated with photos. Best.

Nice! And welcome aboard!
It will be interesting to hear her history and see your renovations in progress.
I saw a wheeler similar to her in Matagorda Bay about 30 years ago....got a picture somewhere that I'll have to dig out of the archives.

So......as far as prop-walk, which side does she pull when backing down?

Welcome aboard, and something totally different also. Look forward to seeing more of this project. Thanks for joining up with this group.

Cheers

Fake paddle wheels (propulsion by propeller and the wheels dragged to rotate) should be outlawed. Fake, fake, fake, for the "benefit" of tourists. Was once a victim of such subterfuge on the Mississippi.

If your boat is "real," congratulations.

What is the hull construction? It has a steel barge look to it.

How much does it weigh? Have you ever lifted it or does it winter in the water? You guys in Texas have nice winters, probably don't know what I'm talking about "lifting and storing" . You must need to have the bottom cleaned once in a while though.

Keep the info coming..

pete

What is the hull construction? It has a steel barge look to it.

How much does it weigh? Have you ever lifted it or does it winter in the water? You guys in Texas have nice winters, probably don't know what I'm talking about "lifting and storing" . You must need to have the bottom cleaned once in a while though.

Keep the info coming..

pete

My inlaws have an Albin 36 on Lake Ontario, and I'm originally from Alberta, so we know all about cold winters and pulling boats out of the water.

It is a steel barge. Similar units are approx. 30T. Typically these are 1/4" plate with additional thickness at the bow. I don't own this yet, but it would need to be drydocked for cleaning and thickness gauging.

I got a few pictures from inside the hull to give you an idea. Wish I'd brought my coveralls and not dress pants, or I'd have crawled the entire thing!

Edit: That second picture got rotated. The beam should be on the top.

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 32
I did an engine survey on a similar paddle wheel boat. It had two engines and two hydraulic driven wheels, that way you could put one in fwd and one in reverse to get some pivot action. 6-71 Detroits for mains and 4-71 gens. It was a neat boat. Left here in NC and went to NY.

I rode on the boat for the first day of the trip to NY to monitor engines. They did fine. Boat was definitely slow for the HP and paddle wheels set up a vibe that could be felt throughout. Not unpleasant at all, just different.

I am curious about that gearbox and how it works. Looks like something that may have variable ratio??? See a smaller chain/sprocket that might be some sort of controller?

That hydraulic drive used on the boat here was super sweet. But complicated!! From the helm you had complete control of wheel rpm in any direction. Engines were started from engine room, rpm set there and left constant. Load/speed adjusted with the hydraulics from helm.

Boat made it fine to NY. Local hired Capt said it was the longest slowest trip he had made, but enjoyed it!!

I did an engine survey on a similar paddle wheel boat. It had two engines and two hydraulic driven wheels, that way you could put one in fwd and one in reverse to get some pivot action. 6-71 Detroits for mains and 4-71 gens. It was a neat boat. Left here in NC and went to NY.

I rode on the boat for the first day of the trip to NY to monitor engines. They did fine. Boat was definitely slow for the HP and paddle wheels set up a vibe that could be felt throughout. Not unpleasant at all, just different.

I am curious about that gearbox and how it works. Looks like something that may have variable ratio??? See a smaller chain/sprocket that might be some sort of controller?

That hydraulic drive used on the boat here was super sweet. But complicated!! From the helm you had complete control of wheel rpm in any direction. Engines were started from engine room, rpm set there and left constant. Load/speed adjusted with the hydraulics from helm.

Boat made it fine to NY. Local hired Capt said it was the longest slowest trip he had made, but enjoyed it!!

The gearbox is a link-belt out of a crane. 70’s vintage. The transmission outputs to a little driveshaft, into the box, and reduces the rpms. That small gear you see up front is (I believe) for changing from forward to reverse.

Love the atmosphere and hope it works out for you. There could be a bargaining point in your favor if it doesn’t come with a calliope. ;)

You should yank that diesel and replace it with a steam engine.

Just a suggestion. : )

Back
Top Bottom