Paddlewheeler on the Ponchatrain

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You should yank that diesel and replace it with a steam engine.

Just a suggestion. : )

That was my initial thought. Doubt it is practical, however.

There is a steam driven one on the market currently. Sounds like a pain in the ass to me though! I’m big on firing up and going somewhere!

That appears to be one very stout boat. Best to have the hull "sounded" it could be an expensive fix.

Be certain not to pay too much. I floating money pit like that really should go cheap. Also dockage, etc will be expensive.

Please forgive me for being so bold, I would offer around $50,000. What do others think it would be worth?

pete

Steam is cool as all get-out, but very labor intensive to operate. At least one guy needed full time to monitor and tweak while under way. Depending on size of machine, matter of hours from fire-up to go, big ones take longer, smaller ones less. Inefficient, too, especially if you are fueling with oil. But you can burn anything that can fit in the firebox.

I was thinking tires, but they are hard to cut into manageable chunks. Pretty stinky to burn, too. Air police would not approve!!!

That appears to be one very stout boat. Best to have the hull "sounded" it could be an expensive fix.

Be certain not to pay too much. I floating money pit like that really should go cheap. Also dockage, etc will be expensive.

Please forgive me for being so bold, I would offer around $50,000. What do others think it would be worth?

pete

Be bold! Glad to kick some numbers around.

I've come up with a rough scrap value around $10k. There is nothing of value in the house - just lumber - so really it is the hull steel, machinery, and wiring.

I'm thinking closer to $20k.

Not sure how you are thinking about using this boat. I believe I would spend 75% of my efforts on making it pretty inside and minimal effort on the mechanicals. Just enough to get the engine running reliably and who cares how much oil you have to dump in to keep it going.

Lake Ponchartrain is reasonably well protected so that if you have a mechanical failure you can just get towed home.

In other words I would set it up as my waterfront vacation or party house and wouldn't spend too much time cruising around.

David

Last edited:
$20,000 would be great, I guess I was being too generous. Scrap value is really something hard to estimate. X tons of steel at $ per pound does not necessarily equal scrap value. Lots of work in getting it ready for a scrap yard.

It would sure make a good vacation retreat, keep us posted.

pete

There is also one for sale in Madisonville La.

It is at Hidden Harbors, it is not the someone. I also have a friend here in Houma that bought one last to do as you are doing.

It is at Hidden Harbors, it is not the someone. I also have a friend here in Houma that bought one last to do as you are doing.

That's the same one.

Attachments

• IMG_0875.jpg
    IMG_0875.jpg
    192.2 KB · Views: 26
Sorry about that, getting old, I thought it was red.

Back
Top Bottom