Packing 3k gallons of fuel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Better to find any weak spots at the dock rather than pounding at sea I bet.

And better to find it when you filled the tanks "just because" rather than when you actually need the full fuel capacity.

Hmmmm, 3000 gallons? Thats about an eight or ten year supply for me. That would give me a range of about 12,000 miles.

pete

In 1970 we picked up a new 68' Defever in Kurihama Japan built by Oriental Boat Works. After a trip to Okinawa, Manila, Cam Rahn Bay and Singapore we headed out for a 3 year journey back to Seattle. We bought 3500 gallons of diesel out of bond in Singapore for US 10 cents a gallon. Those were the days...

Ahoy JoAhna K, We're on another Garden at the terminal, our Willard 36 Spartan V.

Only 400 gallons, two tanks in the middle of the boat out board under main salon ahead of the engine room, https://willardboats.org/boats/spartan-v

One cleaned iron tank and one brand new aluminum. Cleaning and replacing, both joy.

Last edited:
You should notice a difference in ride, we definitely do, more weight the better.
See no real difference in speed for same rpm.

Agreed.
We just (December) crossed the Tasman from Coffs Harbour to the Bay of Islands NZ and we loaded up 1500 US gallons or 6000 litres in Australia for the 7 day 1250 nautical mile run. We ran at 7.5 to 8 knots and used about 1000 US gallons or 4000 litres. It was the first time we had "filled her up" and she felt great; same speed per rpm and better stability with a softer action. We'll be keeping her full much more as it feels good and also reduces the condensation and potential diesel bug in the tanks.
Only down side is if we use our fast cruise at 17 knots: consumption jumps from 200 litres (50gph)per hour to 250 litres per hour if we have an extra 4000 litres (1000 gal) on board. We are real happy at 7.5 knots and 24 litres (6gph) an hour 99% of the time.
Speed is nice when you're running ahead of breaking 3 metre (10ft) swells on the Wide Bay Bar (17 crossings and counting) or the Kaipara or the Hokitika bar but otherwise who needs it once you've retired to live aboard?

When buying extra fuel, it is always a gamble when it comes to price.
Airlines have been known to fill up at places with inexpensive fuel even though they do not need it for the remainder of the flights.
These days, sadly, it is good to have extra fuel and canned goods onboard incase there is civil unrest in your area and you find it necessary to make a run for the ocean and safety.

Last edited:
And when the food runs out, then what?
Airlines have been known to fill up at places with inexpensive fuel even though they do not need it for the remainder of the flights.
These days, sadly, it is good to have extra fuel and canned goods onboard incase there is civil unrest in your area and you find it necessary to make a run for the ocean and safety.

Yup, but, sooner or later the food supply will run out. Then what? I assume you have a water maker aboard. The idea of provisioning for the apocalypse never made sense to me even going back to the days of my youth in the 50s when some folks were spending good money on nuclear bomb shelters. If events are such that it is so unsafe that we must take refuge offshore, the situation is already irretrievably FUBAR.
Rationing.....
MREs can be very satisfying too.
No one said we have to eat our fill. Just enough to stay alive.

I have been pleasantly surprised every single day I am aboard. Some killer "Oh Wow look how they did that. Or I see why he did that" to "smallest of details that I just go, this is soooo once!"

We are parked next to a Garden conversion. From offshore tuna boat to a yacht, just killer details and craftsmanship.

That's really nice to hear about Garden. I was disappointed by my Burger. I kept saying "wow what the hell were they thinking when they did that?"

Yup, but, sooner or later the food supply will run out. Then what? I assume you have a water maker aboard. The idea of provisioning for the apocalypse never made sense to me even going back to the days of my youth in the 50s when some folks were spending good money on nuclear bomb shelters. If events are such that it is so unsafe that we must take refuge offshore, the situation is already irretrievably FUBAR.

SHRUG, I figure a week, maybe two, peace will return, at least to a degree where you can re-provision and ideally refuel. There are plenty of places along the ICW, small towns, that will provide.

I am not planning for the apocalypse, just a week or two at most.

Camped in Death Valley last March, we were informed the park was closing due to Covid. Our planned 10 ten day vacation turned into a two month stay away from home. The desert was awesome in our little spaceship. We were sheltered, fed, and very comfortable.

IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_0904.jpg

Last edited:
Speed is nice when you're running ahead of breaking 3 metre (10ft) swells on the Wide Bay Bar (17 crossings and counting) or the Kaipara or the Hokitika bar but otherwise who needs it once you've retired to live aboard?

Other side of that is, if you are retired and live aboard why do you need to find yourself at the wide bay bar in 3 metre seas?
You have time to wait for that near glass crossing.

And when the food runs out, then what?

The advantages of the bigger boat
We could easily go 12 mths

The advantages of the bigger boat
We could easily go 12 mths

SMILE I suppose I could go 12 months if I didn't mind walking on cases of canned food, plus an additional 12 vt freezer. I dont eat fresh vegetables, one never knows their origin nor who and how they were handled etc.

Never eat fresh veg? :eek:

The one thing I truly miss about living aboard full time was losing the ability to jump on the motorbike at 4am and ride for an hour to the markets and get a box of glorious fresh Asian greens - fresh meat and a bowl of pho at surrounding shops is sorely missed as well

Never eat fresh veg? :eek:

The one thing I truly miss about living aboard full time was losing the ability to jump on the motorbike at 4am and ride for an hour to the markets and get a box of glorious fresh Asian greens - fresh meat and a bowl of pho at surrounding shops is sorely missed as well

My tomb stone will indicate, "He never ate his vegetables."

Wifey B: We started today with a full fuel load. Not about to say how many gallons. :eek:

I found a couple images from the recent past. Seems kinda slow out there, so I thought I'd throw these out....:)

C4FCCB9B-1EBE-401E-A21F-737B636B1559.jpg

F668D6BF-9257-49DF-A0C6-AAECF532EB98.jpg

IMG_1500.jpg

Do US citizens have the option of saving fuel taxes and excises if departing US waters?

For me the ~50% tax savings for a 8500l fill almost makes a return trip to PNG worth investigating.

Do US citizens have the option of saving fuel taxes and excises if departing US waters?

For me the ~50% tax savings for a 8500l fill almost makes a return trip to PNG worth investigating.

Ditto, we loaded 6000 litres (1500 US Gals) for the trip to New Zealand and the tax rebate will keep me in good wine for a year!

Or simply stay out for good
Was our plan before covid
$50 a day for skilled labour
$0.60c/litre diesel
$16/carton for Carlsberg

(Malaysia/Thailand)

The US has a break on "farm fuel" it's not taxed for road tax. It's also dyed for the off chance of catching a pickup truck using off-road diesel.

We do have "Sea Stores" however. Tax free liquor you can get bonded and delivered to your vessel. They put a seal on the storage area, you can break into it 3 miles offshore.

They do if departing from Florida for Bahama's, or Caribbean, should for departing for Canada, but no personal experience in that from Washington State.

We did it before we left for Alaska.

Back
Top Bottom