Old 08-11-2021, 12:50 PM   #21

City: PNW
Vessel Model: Californian 45 MY
We have made the trip from Seattle to Vancouver many times, with one stop in Annacortes or in one shot if we leave early enough. The shipping traffic is not an issue at all. If the winds are under 15Kts (and not opposite the current).. it would be an easy comfortable trip in your boat.
Streff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:35 PM   #22
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Streff View Post
If the winds are under 15Kts (and not opposite the current).. it would be an easy comfortable trip in your boat.

Two very important “ifs”. Wind against current can be a huge issue . I’ve gotten it wrong a few times and paid the price. Unpleasant ride, and more importantly, an unhappy wife.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 03:42 PM   #23
Guru

City: West Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays
Unpleasant ride, and more importantly, an unhappy wife.

Also very important on this voyage; the guests.
soin2la is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:25 PM   #24
Guru

City: Port Townsend, WA
Vessel Name: Traveler
Vessel Model: Cheoy Lee 46 LRC
Four years ago we set out for Princess Louisa Inlet with an intended stop in Vancouver. I had always wanted to visit Point Roberts, so we decided to go along the mainland instead of through the Gulf Islands. We ended up getting “stuck” in Pt. Roberts for 3 days by 25-35 kt winds out of the NW. We could have departed, but the older daughter and our cat would not have done well at all in those conditions. Messed up the whole trip as she had a plane to catch.

The moral of the story is two-fold: never get stuck in Pt. Roberts for more than a day or two (it got a little boring), and go through the islands!
https://www.theboatgeeks.com
Moonfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 10:05 AM   #25

City: Lafayette, CA
Vessel Name: Esprit
Vessel Model: 40' Tollycraft tricabin diesel
I've cruised the PNW my entire life (60+ years). The run from Anacortes to Vancouver is roughly 70 nautical miles (staying out of the shipping channel). I assume your GB probably has a normal cruise of around 10kn, which equates to at least 7 hr run depending on currents. It depends if you leave on an outgoing or incoming tide. In any case there are many days that are perfectly fine on this stretch of water, but as others have said, wind can come up in the mid-day so if you do it, leave at daybreak. Needless to say there's no protection if it does blow up, and only a few places to hole up in.

One thing you might consider is watching the weather report, starting out and making a final call before you duck behind Alden Bank (I'd go eastside to avoid the shipping lane). If there is any sign of wind you can still cut over towards Saturna island and go the inside route. But the island route adds a minimum of one day and there is no guarantee that you don't get stuck in the islands if it blows up.
Slowmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #26

City: Anacortes
I agree. Although we've not been stuck at Point Roberts, one year we couldn't head north out of Newport Oregon until August because of extremely strong northwest winds - many were gale force. We'd wanted to leave in June.
moonlight mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 03:51 PM   #27
Guru

City: North Vancouver
Vessel Name: Phoenix Hunter
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 42 (1985)
If you want to break up your trip on the eastern side of the strait, you could go up the river to spend the night in Steveston and then head out from there. Just be aware that it is best to go up the river about 4 hours after low water otherwise it’s a real slog against current. Also I wouldn’t worry about the shipping lanes. I typically travel in the “eastern” lane. There are no restrictions for recreational traffic while in the lanes beyond the regular collision regulations. Just be aware of the “big boys” while traveling. That traffic is on AIS so easily monitored.

Pender Harbour is 50 nm from Steveston and Desolation Sound is 50 nm from Pender.

Jim
JDCAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 02:38 PM   #28

You will find all of the areas mentioned overcrowded all summer. If you dont have an anchorage by 10 am you will be hard pressed to find one. I recommend you run up the outside of Vancouver Island to Barkley sound, Clayquot Sound / Tofino. Hot springs, whales, salmon , halibut and eagles. Regular air service from Tofino to Victoria.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2021, 08:29 PM   #29

City: Bella Bella
Vessel Name: Tenacious
Vessel Model: Uniflite 31 FB Sedan
Personally, I'd go to Vancouver by air and see it by land on another trip...
Old 08-16-2021, 09:09 PM   #30
JLT

City: Seattle
Great list - been to every one of those places, in some cases many times. I'd add Wallace Island to that list, btw. A nice quiet place (almost all marine parkland and great for walking) with 2 harbors and a lot of interesting history (was the resort home of author David Conover of "Once Upon An Island" fame. Be sure to paint your boat name on a piece of driftwood and leave it on the porch of the old resort General Store! Also, for a quiet & fairly sheltered anchorage within dinghy distance of Telegraph Harbour on Thetis, check out Clam Bay between Thetis & Penelekut (formerly Kuper) Islands.
JLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 01:42 PM   #31
Guru

City: West coast
I’m excited! I’ve owned and flown a DeHavilland Beaver for many years (now sold) from Seattle up and down to Desolation and north but I’m finally getting an older 60’ twin prop diesel to enjoy desolation, keeping it in at ladysmith. Now I need to learn nautical navigation instead of airspace and dock a 60’ with bow thruster versus my 48’ wingspan plane with a 450hp radial engine. Though I’ll have to have 100 hours of training, which I would do anyway.

Any great places to explore next summer or even later this season?
bowball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2021, 06:40 PM   #32
Veteran Member

City: Portland
Vessel Name: Hot Tuna
Vessel Model: 2002 American Tug 23 #24
I usually run up the Gulf Islands side. Sidney is a great place to provision with a Safeway and Food King, and customs is quicker than Bedwell/Poets Cove. Then run up to Nanaimo and cross to Pender Harbor. There is also a Thriftway (I believe) and a liquor store in Pender. Note these are the last large grocery stores prior to Campbell River (OK not exactly true...but mostly true). From Pender run up to Chatterbox and you are there.

The problem with running up the east side of the Straits of Georgia is there is often huge tidal flow from the Frazer River (which, granted, is avoidable) and the winds in Howe Sound can be very uncomfortable. I usually try to hit Howe/City of Vancouver on the way south but more times than not the forecasted 25-35 knot winds change my mind.

But I agree with what someone said above - just get to Desolation and The Broughtons and just ... exist. It's hard to describe. It's simply paradise.
Pdxstriper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 09:53 PM   #33

City: Bellingham
Vessel Name: Snowy Owl
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42-022
If you are concerned about commercial vessel traffic, you can monitor the VTS frequencies, 5A for Seattle Traffic, or 11 for Victoria traffic. I have done this since 2005, first in my 24 foot SeaSport, and now in my Nordic Tug. Additionally, I had the opportunity to visit the VTS Coast Guard facility some years back. The operators said they do not mind if a recreational boater asks about vessel traffic when crossing the lanes, particularly during periods of low visibility. Here is a link to the VTS center’s info pamphlet.
https://www.pacificarea.uscg.mil/Por...-07-215430-077
WillieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:33 PM   #34

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Ripple
Vessel Model: 2005 Grand Banks 42 EU
Vancouver isn't really on the way to PLI from seattle or anacortes or Bellingham. Best route is through the gulf then out and across through Gabriola pass or thru naniamo. And Once you are that far west Vancouver is totally out of the way to get to PLI through welcome passage past secret cove pender harbor Egmont and on up. Much easier to have your passengers pop in to Nanaimo or pender on a seaplane (they will love it except for the price) Or if the timing works they can take a ferry from twaassen to Sydney and meet you there. You can clear customs there too.

Commercial traffic isnt really an issue either way but throu Vancouver you are exposed for two long legs. if the weather sucks it’s not going to be fun in the straights of Georgia wherever you are, even on that boat. . Gulf islands is the Most protected shortest route.

If you must stop in Vancouver suck it up early and go straight there. (Eastern route, past pt roberts) but then the next day you are headed straight up the straight to the same place, welcome passage. Farther tho.

Anacortes-Gabriola-Vancouver -PLI is circuitous if you are on a schedule. Love to hear about the trip. Good luck!
NWboater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2021, 12:16 AM   #35

City: Tacoma
Vessel Name: Ripple
Vessel Model: 2005 Grand Banks 42 EU
Sorry, read the rest. Good advice throughout, sounds like you are not going up to PLI this time. We made it there and back in a 38 sabre during a one week charter (sat -fri) out of Bellingham in ‘19 First night in secret cove, second and third in PLI. Then down to pender harbor, roche, sucia…weather cooperated, obvi.
NWboater2 is offline   Reply With Quote