Old 07-02-2021, 01:42 PM   #41

City: Berkeley, CA
Vessel Name: Andiamo
Vessel Model: Kha Shing Sundeck 40
Great work! You got things clean so you could discover the problems and now you can fix them.

It also sounds like you might have already fixed other problems that also made suboptimal smells.

Congrats!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovetoBoat View Post
So a quick update.

I had Simple Green in the basement and took it to the boat. Mop and bucket and swabbed out all the holds and boxes - rear to forward. WOW what a difference. I could be wrong but my thought is between cleaning and washing down the simple green and then using the bilge pumps to pump it out - huge difference. The bilge was darn near perfect and I put a box fan in the engine room to run all night and clear out any smells and dry it out.
Slept on the boat last night - no more tight chest or coughing fits. Had a cup of coffee this morning and thought about heading home - had some work I needed to get done.

But as a boaters life often happens I got curious and looked in the bilge - beautiful white bilge but my eyes saw a thin stream of fluid running down into my clean bilge. Oh oh - it is coming from yeah you all knew it all along - my holding tank... I could not see where it was coming from but sure as heck it looked clean and was coming from the space where my holding tank sits. Dang it - I didn't have time to drop the engine exhaust and move hoses to gain access to the tank which is wedged between three walls...
I could not keep good enough alone - I looked in the forward engine hatch and noticed brownish redish fluids. Here we go - so now I also found a hydraulic hose that was rubbing on fiberglass cut thru - the chaff cushion that went half way around the hoses was not on the bottom. I could feel the wet fluid and the cut hose with my fingers. So I had to head home and now I need to start thinking about how to fix these new to me leaks...

Lol - it really does not stop does it? Oh and this time I really think I found the reason for the boat smell... Argh...
It is only time and money right??
Andiamo2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:19 PM   #42
Veteran Member

City: Cohoes
Vessel Model: 1974 Marine Trade Dual Cabin 34
Careful with Ozone..

I would also add to the above - Ozone is poisonous. I would never intentionally inject it into a space which I was inhabiting, let alone a living space.
brianaderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 02:32 PM   #43
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I used to have one, but the overwhelming evidence I came across suggested they work no better than a spray air freshener, ozone is harmful to humans man mechanical items in the quantities many generators produce (even residual levels) unless many precautions are taken.

Generally they are not recommended for use other than in industrial applications.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:04 PM   #44
Guru

City: Montgomery
Vessel Name: Choices
Vessel Model: 36 Grand Banks Europa
Smells like battery acid to me.

Need to go touch them to see if they are hot, if low on acid add water.

Cycling power will cause battery charger to restart cycle, can heat up a battery bank. Maybe some low voltage draw causing it to charge.

Run engine room fans for awhile then open hatches for awhile with blower running.

This will eliminate smells then you can sniff around and find it.
Choices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you have to replace the leaking holding tank, it that is what you find leaking. Look at Ronko tanks. They make a very good quality tank. They will put the fittings where you need them. No affiliation, just a satisfied customer.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:53 PM   #46

City: Aposentillo
Not only do they kill natural rubber but they will rust any exposed metals, cause pitting in chrome and generally reek havoc over time. Obviously I do not recommend them in a boating environment.
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:17 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

I agree on not using an ozone generator. Why not just fix the leak and clean it up. The smell will be gone and no need for a possibly dangerous situation. Don’t just cover up the smell, fix the problem.
Old 07-02-2021, 05:25 PM   #48
Guru

City: Between Oregon and Alaska
Vessel Name: Charlie Harper
Vessel Model: Wheeler Shipyard 83'
The way to rid the boat of mold, mildew and dampness is to vent. All my bilge areas are power vented 24/7. I use bilge blowers with the speed reduced with a rheostat. The bilge air is replaced with cabin air that is dry even in the winter because I run a stove.
My boat smells like a house, I don't get moisture buildups because showers and cooking area is vented when in use. No damp bedding or clothes, no rusted zippers or snaps.
I suppose I have a higher heating cost, but the boat humidity runs about 40%, sometimes less. Even in the PNW when it's raining.
I do have an ozone generator, used it once. Didn't seem to do much.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:33 PM   #49

Try a dehumidifier.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 09:34 PM   #50
Veteran Member

City: N palm Beach
Vessel Name: Activated Eau
Vessel Model: Vantare
Quote:
Originally Posted by William983 View Post
Has anyone ever used an ozone generator inside their cabin?
I have washed, bleached, changed black water components in and on.
But I still have an odor in the boat.
Ozone will attack latex rubber and bleach out some colors in things and, yes, it shouldn't be inhaled.

There are ozone generators made that use the ozone INTERNALLY but have destructors so that what comes out of them is only oxygen. Requirement for sales in California.

But these will only 'purify' the air that makes it through them and will not do search and destroy in all the little nooks and crannies attendant to watercraft.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 08:17 AM   #51
Veteran Member

City: Vero Beach FL
I haven't read all the posts, so please forgive me if this is a duplication.

Elsewhere, there was a discussion between Peggie and me regarding my Raritan pump failure. We don't do ozone, but...

The techie at Raritan warned me that the plastic used in their housings (base and pump body) will suffer structural failure in the presence of ozone; ozone causes some reaction to whatever stuff it is they use in their housings...

Just a heads up in case you have Raritan heads...
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 10:20 AM   #52

City: Mercer Is.WA
Nozone

Don't do it ... ozone destroys plastics and rubber. Most particularly when the materials are in tensile conditions.
DryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:09 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
I haven't read all the posts, so please forgive me if this is a duplication.

Elsewhere, there was a discussion between Peggie and me regarding my Raritan pump failure. We don't do ozone, but...

The techie at Raritan warned me that the plastic used in their housings (base and pump body) will suffer structural failure in the presence of ozone; ozone causes some reaction to whatever stuff it is they use in their housings...

Just a heads up in case you have Raritan heads...
I doubt that it is just Raritan heads that will suffer, more like most plastics and rubber.
Old 07-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #54
Veteran Member

City: Sidney BC.
Vessel Name: Callisto
Vessel Model: Grand Banks Classic 42’ Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
I doubt that it is just Raritan heads that will suffer, more like most plastics and rubber.
I just checked this Pureayre on Amazon.ca, it comes with a Wooping $106.00 Price tag. Not $50 bucks. ‘
Times are a changin’
David Burgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:53 PM   #55
Guru

City: AR
The times may be a-changing, but not that much! $106 CD is price gouging for a product that sells on Amazon.com (US site)for $39 USD/48.42 CD. You couldn't run that price up to $106 even paying for all the ridiculous international shipping fees! It's the "household" version, but it works just as well on boats as the "marine" version, which Amazon doesn't seem to stock, but I guarantee you the price for it wouldn't be more than $60 USD/75

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:22 PM   #56
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Burgess View Post
I just checked this Pureayre on Amazon.ca, it comes with a Wooping $106.00 Price tag. Not $50 bucks. ‘
Times are a changin’
Is this what you are talking about?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SBJBM0?th=1
I guess it needs liquid Pureayre to work?
Old 07-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #57
Veteran Member

City: Narsaq
Vessel Name: ALICE H.
Vessel Model: SANMAR LNG TUG
Quote:
Originally Posted by William983 View Post
Has anyone ever used an ozone generator inside their cabin?
Do not use an ozone generator. Get a dehumifier instead.
ghostrider454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:38 PM   #58
Guru

City: AR

No. Not even the same company...that one spells it PurAyre. As many times as I have posted "buy a gallon"..."put it in a garden pump spray jug".... "fine mist"... it should be obvious that PureAyre is a liquid, not a device.

--Peggie
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 03:59 PM   #59
Guru

City: Nanaimo
Vessel Name: former owner of "Pilitak"
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Peggy,
That is just one of many examples where we Canadians "get the shaft"!
Also, if we order from a US supplier and they ship by courier, not only do we pay a much higher "international" shipping charge (when compared to similar distances but to US destinations), but when they deliver it, they always want to charge us full duty, Canadian (additional) taxes, and a fairly hefty "brokerage" fee. In my experience, sometimes the extra fees (not counting the original shipping charge) amount to more than the value of the item purchased.
So we can be "vandalized" by either our Canadian suppliers often significantly "overcharging" or we can be "vandalized" by the courier companies.
Ain't life grand being a Canadian, eh?
Old 07-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #60
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post

No. Not even the same company...that one spells it PurAyre. As many times as I have posted "buy a gallon"..."put it in a garden pump spray jug".... "fine mist"... it should be obvious that PureAyre is a liquid, not a device.

--Peggie
Ah yup, that's what I though, no machine other than a sprayer.
Now, do you recommend PurAyre before or after getting the carpet cleaned?