Old 09-23-2022, 05:58 PM   #81
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippocampus View Post
There are some cost related variance between boats that are meaningful. To name a few.
How port lights, hatches and doors are done. (This sometimes makes a otherwise A boat a B)
How clearing ports are constructed.
Are preformed liners used and where?
Resin to glass ratios and type of resin. Type of fabric-mat, woven, e, exotic, cf,aramid etc. details of the layup.
How much chopper gun and where
Tabbing instead of fully glassed in. Especially for bulkheads and other structural elements.
Hull deck joining technique and execution.
Nature of thru hulls used and installation.
Nature of and placement of backing plates.
List goes on and on
Maybe the boat doesn’t sink just falls apart.
Thanks for the list hippocampus. Helpful and informative.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:20 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

City: SEWARD ALASKA
Vessel Name: DOS PECES
Vessel Model: BAYLINER 4788
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Going through my stuff, I found a 2003 version of the Mexico Boating Guide by Pat & John Rains (both legendary delivery skippers). With that and Coastal Explorer running CMAP, I cobbled the attached distance chart between anchorages. Many are open-roadsteds, but distances look doable, even for a committed single-hander. My current plan is to shove-off next Feb 1st. In deference to my wife, I've tried to come up with shorter distances. Besides, will give us a change to sample tacos along the way.

Peter

Attachment 132279
That is the route and stops I am looking at. Thanks for drawing it out.

I'm leaving November 14 or thereabouts.
https://maps.findmespot.com/s/XLJZ#history/assets
ksanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 06:37 PM   #83
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
We should not be criticizing people's personal preferences. If your boating style is to only go a few miles and anchor off the local sandbar on the weekend, and you like like the look and features of a Nordhavn 52...have at it. Who are we to begrudge someone who buys the boat they like and uses it the way they want ?
I think instead of focusing on the people with "over-capable" boats, this community would be doing a greater service by educating the people who feel trapped in port because they think their boat is "under-capable". A jet ski can cross the Atlantic in the right conditions. Any mismatch between captain skill and boat capability is going to waste resources. Earnest Shakleton would have a hard time taking a houseboat to Hawaii, and I probably couldn't get a 75 foot Expedition Yacht to Tahitii. Like so many other things, the answer is harmony. Finding the perfect match of skill, comfort, need, and vessel.
Just loosely following along on this thread, but not sure where you come up with the “criticizing others preferences” part. It appears to me people are saying run with you ja got, and go for it. In my earlier post I referenced someone who thought they would like the blue water sailing thing but they found out otherwise so they bailed. I also clearly stated, so what, its his money and time and he figured it was on to something else and a different chapter.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 07:04 PM   #84

City: Valley Cottage NY
Vessel Name: Savage
Vessel Model: Seaton 50 expedition trawler
Run with what ya got? Certainly. But, apologies to Clint Eastwood when I say "A man's got to know his boat's limitations".

Then there is that discussion about being new and pretty vs. old and ugly. There are plenty of old ugly looking boats that can handle a bad weather scenario better than a modern 'dream boat'.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:19 PM   #85
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Sea Sanctuary
Vessel Model: Bayliner 4588
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I was thinking about installing a lap belt but a 'harness' steps it up more than a few notches.
I have only looked at it, have not strapped it on yet. Looks to go around the waist and attach to either side has a ring to clip onto. Guess you stand there and it keeps your balance for you. Now I wonder if you can sit in helm chair.
SteveK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 08:30 PM   #86
Guru

City: Groton, CT
Vessel Name: Datenight
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post

Securing furniture is a good point. I'd love to see a discussion on how to secure moveable pieces of furniture while they're not in use.
1. Install bosses in sole front and back.

2. Drill through base of recliners front and back.

3. Install bolts whenever under way.

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1244 (1).jpg   IMG_1245.jpg  
Old 09-23-2022, 09:23 PM   #87
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Like so many other things, the answer is harmony. Finding the perfect match of skill, comfort, need, and vessel.

Well said
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 09:41 PM   #88
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Datenight View Post
1. Install bosses in sole front and back.

2. Drill through base of recliners front and back.

3. Install bolts whenever under way.

Rob
Great solution but all my furniture is built in so all I have to worry about is flying cushions and things that should have been put away. I put the glass coffee pot in the sink and call it 'done.' I hear things settle in the cabinets and am more that cautious when I open the cabinets where I keep the canned goods or pick them up and put them back in the cabinets. LOL
This coming week's weather will prove my theory.
Old 09-23-2022, 09:46 PM   #89
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
It's when I read threads similar to this that makes me feel blessed to have grown up on boats of all types.
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:16 AM   #90
Guru

A small rejoinder to Hippocampus’ statement that “ Most places in the world local weather comes over the land mass then hits the coast except for cyclonal events.”. On the left hand coast, the weather comes off the Pacific Ocean, almost never from the east. The inland waters do get effect from the Olympic Mountains or from Vancouver Island, but the weather predictions are based on the eastern Pacific Ocean conditions.
Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 12:29 AM   #91

City: Tauranga
Vessel Name: Ahi
Vessel Model: Roger Hill Powercat
Weather is part of the sea state equation, currents and depth are others. In NZ you will often get a better sea state roughly 50 miles once you get off the continental shelf.
The coast isn't always your friend, and often far from it.
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #92
Guru

Some thread drift re WX, but part of the equation. As Spinner notes on the west coast there are different forces at play. The offshore SoCal islands in particular can have their own micro weather going on. If anchored, even on the lee, strong downslope winds can occur as the wind is compressed and the velocity increases.

The only significant wind event from the NE (from land) is the Santa Ana (Devil Winds). These generally start up in Sep and run through Jan. Nothing like the PNW, but it can catch people off guard who are not familiar with it and predicted vs actual can be very different. Fagan does a good job in his book describing this and the tell tales to look for and to get out if any doubt if one may be coming.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:02 PM   #93
Guru

City: New England/Michigan
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: N/A
Santa Ana “ Devil Winds “. It’s funny how recent arrivals to SoCal have bought in to this Devil Wind name. It catchy and kind of Hollywood but not founded in fact. My family goes back far enough in that country that their land could be linked to Lucky Baldwin and Gov. Pio Pico granting their land. Anyway Santa Ana winds got their name from the Santa Ana canyons where they swept off the desert and funneled in through the canyon bringing lots of dusts, heat and enough tumbleweeds to choke of towns.

Rick
garbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:20 PM   #94
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbler View Post
Santa Ana “ Devil Winds “. It’s funny how recent arrivals to SoCal have bought in to this Devil Wind name. It catchy and kind of Hollywood but not founded in fact. My family goes back far enough in that country that their land could be linked to Lucky Baldwin and Gov. Pio Pico granting their land. Anyway Santa Ana winds got their name from the Santa Ana canyons where they swept off the desert and funneled in through the canyon bringing lots of dusts, heat and enough tumbleweeds to choke of towns.

Rick
Recent arrival? Have lived in CA for 60 years.
Old 09-24-2022, 01:27 PM   #95
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
In the Caribbean downdrafts off the mountains and funneled between them is a concern as well as compression zones as you near them. None show on weather reports nor is there mention of rages in most reports. Worthwhile to take a few marine weather courses and read a few books. Gribs and to large measure weather reports are computer generated. Found it worthwhile to look at several models to decide which to accept or none. I have a particular bugaboo about gribs. Seems too many accept them as gospel. They are probabilities and speak to a fair amount of area. They not infrequently aren’t representative of the hyper local weather. Don’t like thunderstorms as they can cause the loss of electronics and for common rail propulsion. Once the opportunity becomes available like to chat up the local folks as to hot spots and hot times of day. Over time you see fairly consistent zones in your regional waters. Here in SE Massachusetts there seems to be a line at the North River, another from onset to sandwich another at Dennis. Same kind of variance between upper and lower Naragansett with line running around east Greenwich to Bristol. Local weather is local and often poorly represented in grib fields.
Apologize. You’re right because of the direction of the globes spinning and which hemisphere you’re in my statement about weather coming off the land is relevant to only half the world. Very provincial of me and my bad.
Hippocampus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 01:53 PM   #96
Guru

City: Los Angeles
Quote:
Originally Posted by garbler View Post

Rick
If you were anchored or moored in Avalon harbor or almost anywhere on
the NE coast of Catalina during a Santa Ana condition you would call them
'Devil Winds', too!
Old 09-24-2022, 02:01 PM   #97
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher500 View Post
Recent arrival? Have lived in CA for 60 years.
Newbie!
Don't you see that it's much more relevant to be related to someone who
was there 200 years ago?
Old 09-24-2022, 02:08 PM   #98
Guru

City: SoCal and Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Tortuga
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotYet View Post
If you were anchored or moored in Avalon harbor or almost anywhere on
the NE coast of Catalina during a Santa Ana condition you would call them
'Devil Winds', too!
While that might be a reasonable description, I have to say the first time I have seen Santa Ana winds called “Devil winds” is in this thread. I’ve lived and boated in SoCal most of my life. Maybe it is a San Diego thing.
guy with a boat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:12 PM   #99
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Yup, possibly Santa Ana himself named them!
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2022, 02:13 PM   #100
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy with a boat View Post
While that might be a reasonable description, I have to say the first time I have seen Santa Ana winds called “Devil winds” is in this thread. I’ve lived and boated in SoCal most of my life. Maybe it is a San Diego thing.
Never heard it either but common enough to be called that in Wikipedia.