Oven or bread maker for fresh bread on board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now a days you can't give peanuts to kids, shouldn't serve eggs or butter because of cholesterol,no eating of beef because cows fart and bad for the planet, bread is bad for you. Fish have mercury and soda makes you fat. Coffee,who knows what it does. Oh well I'll just sit in the bilge and eat my gruel.

My skipper spent 14 tours in SE Asia (supposedly Vietnam), eating some gawdawful things. One week he subsisted solely on rice bugs. He'll be 83 this fall. Wanna know what I feed him--whatever the heck he wants & wine to go with it.

Do you guys who bake your own bread do so in the boat's oven or in a bread machine?

We are just beginning to explore the idea of making our own bread aboard... given our last trip down the ICW we learned good fresh bread is much more difficult to come by than something like beer. :)

Our initial thoughts, with no experience at all yet, are to use the existing convection oven... or whatever else we already have on board... to manage the appliance clutter.

"Whatever we have on board" alternatives could maybe include an existing stove-top "dutch oven" pot, or maybe an Instant Pot pressure cooker, maybe a slow cooker, maybe the Magma propane grill...

Most of us have galley ovens that use propane. Depending on your cruising grounds what is the supply of propane vs electric? Are you connected to shore power or having to produce your own?

SOME of us apparently have propane ovens. Having to produce our own electricity is trivial, since we have to do that to charger batteries, heat water, sometimes run the ACs/heaters, anyway

-Chris

Oh, the woes of modern cruisers...the decisions one must submit to. We cruised 3 years without running water or refrigeration

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=12&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiLtYjAgIjkAhXQg-AKHb6lDgEQFjALegQIDRAK&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D9pAJ68XYHe0&usg=AOvVaw2GevdIX_3eztIf7Jw75F82

Back then, we also kept eggs for weeks by turning the carton over every few days -- can't do that today because it isn't safe.
I cruised several years hand-pumping all water. That is actually my preference because it is easy & saves water. I added a plastic tube to the galley spigot so it could be used like a sprayer for rinsing dishes. Used a Sun Shower for bodies & hair. One gallon will do it all, including rinsing. No deprivation, no need for a water heater; just lots of fun.

Thanks for the How-To on steaming bread in a pressure cooker. You can also just bake on top of the stove without water without sealing the lid. That way you get crust.

Actually, you still can keep eggs without refrigeration. However, they should have never been refrigerated, so careful where you purchase. I used to buy them that way in Calif. supermarkets, but that was a long time ago. I recommend daily turning to keep air out of the shell, & do not wash until ready to use. To test before using, dunk in a small bowl of water. If the egg floats, discard because air has invaded the shell. If it sinks, cook it.

We are just beginning to explore the idea of making our own bread aboard... given our last trip down the ICW we learned good fresh bread is much more difficult to come by than something like beer. :)

Our initial thoughts, with no experience at all yet, are to use the existing convection oven... or whatever else we already have on board... to manage the appliance clutter.

"Whatever we have on board" alternatives could maybe include an existing stove-top "dutch oven" pot, or maybe an Instant Pot pressure cooker, maybe a slow cooker, maybe the Magma propane grill...

SOME of us apparently have propane ovens. Having to produce our own electricity is trivial, since we have to do that to charger batteries, heat water, sometimes run the ACs/heaters, anyway-Chris
Haven't tried a slow cooker, but all your other devices should bake good bread. I'd try the dutch oven first, with a trivet or something else to elevate your bread pan. Once you master basic bread making it is easier exploring other baking options. Again, confine your kneading mess by using a floured cloth on the counter or knead in a (preferably wooden) bowl. A glass or ceramic bowl will be cool & counteract the rising efforts of the yeast or other leavening agent.

Oh, the woes of modern cruisers...the decisions one must submit to. We cruised 3 years without running water or refrigeration

Quote:

cruised several years hand-pumping all water. That is actually my preference because it is easy & saves water. I added a plastic tube to the galley spigot so it could be used like a sprayer for rinsing dishes. Used a Sun Shower for bodies & hair. One gallon will do it all, including rinsing. No deprivation, no need for a water heater; just lots of fun. Quote

Hand pumping water? No refrigeration? No water heater?

Did I accidentally switch to a sailboaters forum?

I cruised several years hand-pumping all water. That is actually my preference because it is easy & saves water. I added a plastic tube to the galley spigot so it could be used like a sprayer for rinsing dishes. Used a Sun Shower for bodies & hair. One gallon will do it all, including rinsing. No deprivation, no need for a water heater; just lots of fun.

Actually, you still can keep eggs without refrigeration. However, they should have never been refrigerated, so careful where you purchase. I used to buy them that way in Calif. supermarkets, but that was a long time ago. I recommend daily turning to keep air out of the shell, & do not wash until ready to use. To test before using, dunk in a small bowl of water. If the egg floats, discard because air has invaded the shell. If it sinks, cook it.

Wifey B: Sorry, but that is deprivation to me. Hubby and I use about 30 gallons total to shower (we shower together). Sometimes more. :rofl:

Seriously, showers are necessary luxuries to me and hubby is the same way. :)

As to eggs, eggs sold commercially in the US, Australia, Japan and Scandinavian countries must be refrigerated. The reason is they're sterilized before they're sold and that kills all bacteria on the shells. It also removed the cuticle from the shell, a protective layer. This increases the probability that any bacteria will penetrate the shell. In addition, once refrigerated, if then left out, moisture will form on the shell, further increasing the risk of bacteria penetrating. If you buy directly from the farm, eggs not sterilized or refrigerated, then fine not to refrigerate. Most other countries do not require refrigeration. :confused:

Only up to speed on my eggs because we're currently in a rural farm area and one of our city girls brought it up. :)

'Lo All, One of my parents "favorite" stories of the depression era: They lived on a homestead in Washington state and grew most of what they needed. They had an abundance of eggs, but few folks could buy them. (They bartered some to get what they needed, but didn't grow.) One month, my Mom's diary said that they made a grand total, between them, of $0.05 - from selling eggs. They dipped the unsold eggs in waterglass. (Google that, I found: "Placing freshly laid eggs in a water glass solution seals the pores of the eggs against bacteria and gases, so it can be used to preserve eggs when refrigeration isn’t an option."). When folks started buying eggs again, they sold the "waterglassed" eggs first, then fresh eggs. When they started selling the fresh eggs, customers complained that they were not as good the eggs they had been buying earlier. Go figure!

Quote:

Did I accidentally switch to a sailboaters forum?

For the 3 years we lived aboard the sailboat from New England to the Caribbean - we ran the motor for 80% of the miles we covered. Doesn't that qualify us as a trawler?

If you have a barbeque (propane), you have an oven as what most of us call a bbq is really a griller and oven combined. I've baked bread in bbq's.

Free Range Eggs

Only up to speed on my eggs because we're currently in a rural farm area and one of our city girls brought it up. :)[/QUOTE]

I get unrefrigerated eggs at my farmer's market - we are given the choice of whether we want eggs that have been refrigerated or not. The hens are free range and the unrefrigerated eggs have not been washed, so they still have the 'bloom' on them. The farmer makes a good living selling these - so you might look for them. I keep mine in a cool place and turn the carton daily on the boat - have no problem keeping them close on three weeks.:thumb:

No bread machine for me - I like to make the dough by hand. Have baked in the oven when it isn't too hot and also in the slow cooker which is GREAT for sourdough.

Warm home made sourdough bread with lots of butter = very happy husband.

Wifey B: Well, you and I certainly have different definitions of joyous recreation. :rofl:

We just try to limit our bread and in turn our carbs. With the proliferation of low carb diets from Atkins to Paleo to Keto and the frequency of diabetes, I'm a little surprised at all the bread making taking place. That makes me curious, do most of you eat some form of bread with all meals or how many of your 21 meals a week include bread? :ermm:

Carbohydrates are a good things. Of course, this is from a former long distance runner so I’m biased. Too many carbs are bad. Too many simple carbs are bad. However, the trend to the low carb diets doesn’t make sense to me and my somewhat dated understanding of physiology.

Besides, there are few things more wonderful and really good bread. Reminds me that I need to pick up a loaf of fresh bread from Sluy’s Bakery in the morning.

Having said all that, I don’t eat bread often with meals. I’m too lazy to make sandwiches (so since my wife is gone this week I won’t be eating any). I don’t eat bread just to have bread (I didn’t grow up in the Midwest). However, if there is really good bread available, I can make a beautiful meal of bread, cheese, olives, and wine.

Put another way, if faced with the choice of a willing woman and really good fresh baked bread... it would take a lot of thought.

I'm not into diet fads or low carbs, I'm normal weight and don't have diabetes and 68 yrs. Infact I love my carbs, bagels, rye bread, white bread, French bread,pizza--- All bread. I eat about 10 meals a week with bread. Would love a bread maker if I had a wife that would use it. I buy bread at the market and freeze it. My diet plan is pushing away from the table !

I must have missed the part of the instructions on our bread machine that says “Only for use by a Wife”. ;-)

My wife does a lot thing better than me, she's the Admiral and I just row the boat.---yes dear--

My memory just kicked in, I tried many years ago to make bread but it turned to be more like burnt hardtack and I was flogged for it.

I love fresh bread but it`s going to take some propane or genset time to run the oven or breadmaker. We have one at home I no longer bother with. At one time I had a sourdough starter living in the fridge, fed it and used it for a while, but I did make,and eat,too much bread.
We knew some people with a motor sailer called "Peter Pan" who bake fresh bread every day. Boy did that add to the ambience of the anchorage!

IF you are willing to give up bread machine sized space , a Dutch Oven does great bread , and does more. The interior is useful for storage when not making bread.

Wifey B: Sorry, but that is deprivation to me. Hubby and I use about 30 gallons total to shower (we shower together). Sometimes more. :rofl:

Seriously, showers are necessary luxuries to me and hubby is the same way. :)

That's not showering, that's recreation.

:)

-Chris

Atkins Diet,,,,, " If it tastes good spit it out".

Wifey B: Prime Rib, Lobster, Shrimp, Chicken, Eggs, Bacon......all perfect Atkins foods. :ermm:

I'd need a fork in one hand & an Epipen in the other to eat Atkins! Each of us has to find a menu plan that works for us, & the key to successful human adaptation is variety--

no same time just have to turn it during baking to get an even crust.

Back
Top Bottom