Outhouse to Penthouse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tunajoe

Vessel Name
Tatanka
Vessel Make
32' Nordic Tug
After spending a few night aboard my boat, I realized the 11 year old 4" cheap foam cushions aren't going to cut it for sleeping.

So I started doing research on boat mattresses.
Found an internet forum that all that's discussed is mattresses.
www.mattressunderground.com
Come to find out, So Cal has more custom mattress manufacturers than any where else.
So I started calling them to discuss options/ materials and prices.

After researching my options, I decided I wanted a Latex mattress.
There are 2 types of latex manufacturers; Talalay and Dunlop with Talalay having the higher quality manufacturing process.

HCM seemed to be the logical choice as they only do boats and they would come to my boat and measure for me.
However, they seemed a bit pricey for the latex and then they dinged you for any "options" such as a hinge and pillow top.

As I worked my way down the list, I came across Melvin Custom Mattress in Northridge, CA.
So after reviewing there website I called and spoke to a nice lady who quoted me a decent price on a Latex mattress.
The wife and I drove into the Valley and tried out a few different variations.
Fortunatley, My wife is fluent in spanish. Rosa, the owner speaks and understands english, but was more comfortable speaking spanish.

It took her one week to make the mattress and let me tell you, I've gone from the outhouse to the penthouse!:thumb:

Cost me $1,800 with a vinyl bottom, 2" soft latex pillow top and 6" medium latex base. Price included a hinge in the middle.
Plus, she only charges $35 to alter sheets/comforter you bring her to fit the new mattress
Wrestled the mattress into the V berth and made sure the Hypervent was centered.
Perfect fit!

Took my first nap today in summer like conditions here in So Cal.

I highly recommend Melvin Custom Mattress. If you get a chance, check out the nice story about Rosa and her husband on the website.
www.melvincustommattress.com

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_1296.jpg
    IMG_1296.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 214
Is there a surcharge for getting a horizontal mattress? Seems tough to get a good night sleep clinging to the top of that new mattress...

Thanks for the write-up. I sleep like a baby on the boat but the wife does not. She loved your post. I'll check a couple local mattress shops and see what happens.

Did you take your v-berth cushions to them for a pattern?

Is there a surcharge for getting a horizontal mattress? Seems tough to get a good night sleep clinging to the top of that new mattress...
Just turn your head sideways.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the write-up. I sleep like a baby on the boat but the wife does not. She loved your post. I'll check a couple local mattress shops and see what happens.

Did you take your v-berth cushions to them for a pattern?

I did take the old one. But I also made a pattern.
I measured the side angles and also measured the distance across at 8" high.

I was going to buy a couple of foam/memory foam mattresses off Amazon and then cut to fit my V berth. After that have a mattress company make a cover.
Several mattress manufacturers said they would make a mattress cover for $300-$500.

If you could find a place to buy dunlop latex, you could easily cut to size and then have a cover made pretty inexpensively.
http://sleeponlatex.com/products/du...ce=googlepla&gclid=CJ7f0K6-qcQCFY6UfgodT7YAMA

Attachments

• IMG_1151.jpg
    IMG_1151.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
If you pick up a good rubber mattress it will be 5x or more heavier than a crap one. EZ way to tell, if you have the right unit.

:thumb: We're on our 2nd custom latex mattress. There're great! One of the upsides is you don't feel your partner moving around like you do on an inner spring mattress. One of the downsides is the mattress is warmer, more heat retention. Getting a goodnights sleep. Priceless.

Here's another option... Tufted Topper. Had that on my last 2 boats, On my modified v-berth (no insert), the Topper is a one-piece pillow top that adds a couple of inches to the standard cushion. Trace a pattern and send it in to Tufted Topper. Back in a couple of weeks. In our view, just as comfortable as our pillow-top queen sized mattress at home.

tufted topper: Home

I was going to buy a couple of foam/memory foam mattresses off Amazon and then cut to fit my V berth. After that have a mattress company make a cover.
Several mattress manufacturers said they would make a mattress cover for $300-$500.

We ordered the memory foam mattress on line and just used a good quality mattress pad over it. Standard sheets tucked as needed and a beautiful quilt made by my mother finished it off.

That has worked very well for us on two boats.

Rob

Here's another option... Tufted Topper. Had that on my last 2 boats, On my modified v-berth (no insert), the Topper is a one-piece pillow top that adds a couple of inches to the standard cushion. Trace a pattern and send it in to Tufted Topper. Back in a couple of weeks. In our view, just as comfortable as our pillow-top queen sized mattress at home.

tufted topper: Home

Interesting picture on the front page of Tufted Topper website!! Is that how the owner entices new customers?! Lol

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom