Outer Reef 26' Comments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bshillam

Guru
Vessel Name
Our Heaven
Vessel Make
1997 4800 Navigator
Well,
So we are looking for a small(ish) next boat. I don't want anything that guzzles and ran across an ad for a Outer Reef Tug. Got me thinking this might be just what we have been looking for. Large enough to head out for the weekend, stay a few nights in and boy 1/2 gallon- 1 gallon burn rate really has me thinking this is one we can use anytime and not be concerned about the fuel usage.

Does anyone know the story on these and their build quality?

They are very well built trawlers (tugs)--they are built like work boats. My parents first trawler, At Last, was a 26' Outer Reef built in 1980 or so. I remember visiting the owner/builder (Andre) and his son as At Last was being built. She was custom built and had a flybridge. The engine was defnitely a Lehman but I cannot remember the exact HP (60HP - 80HP). We took At Last up and down the Florida coast. A family of four slept comfortably.

I'll post a photo tonight.

Well,
So we are looking for a small(ish) next boat. I don't want anything that guzzles and ran across an ad for a Outer Reef Tug. Got me thinking this might be just what we have been looking for. Large enough to head out for the weekend, stay a few nights in and boy 1/2 gallon- 1 gallon burn rate really has me thinking this is one we can use anytime and not be concerned about the fuel usage.

Does anyone know the story on these and their build quality?
I have a 32 ft built by the same guy . He built two 32 footers and three 36 footers and about 40 tugs . I have talked with him a couple times ,nice guy . Mine was built as a commercial fishing boat .I think they were all built as a custom boat with different layouts .

So would you buy it again? Do you like the build quality? What don't you like about the quality of the work?

I just sent you pm

I'll emphasize again that Outer Reefs are rugged and sturdy. Great boats and very roomy. Here are a few photos of my parents' 26' circa early 80s. I've stayed a couple of nights in mine so an Outer Reef is plenty. We spent four days/nights on At Last at South Seas Captiva with two adults and two children! Note in the second photo the davits and staysail my father had installed.

Attachments

• Scan.jpg
    Scan.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 547
  • Scan1.jpg
    Scan1.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 304
  • Scan2.jpg
    Scan2.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 576
Last edited:
Of course a 1979, maintenance is more important at this stage of the game. It appears to me that much of the yearly has gone to the side line. Bright work is in poor shape. Interior needs some sanding and probably some wipe on poly, varnish or oil. The bones are there but I am not sure about condition. Will be checking it out next week in person and go from there. As well by the end of the week I'll know what the condition of my sale is as survey is Monday and all contingencies will be lifted by the weeks end.

Andre was and is a very competent boat builder. He lives here in St.James City and still does fiberglass work and boat repairs.
From listening to his stories about building the 26, many were fitted with Mitsubishi engines I believe but he would install whatever the owner wanted.There is one here on Pine Island on a trailer that has not moved in 10 years! I know that several people have tried to buy it with no luck. Its a shame to see it just sit there.
And Vashon Trawler, not sure who you met but he never had a son, he had two daughters. One of which has made a few post on here before.

Thanks for clarifying, Nimble. It was many years ago and I was just 5 or 6--it has been a while! We last saw Andre at the old Buccaneer Restaurant in Sarasota--that was around 1984 or so. I'll dig up some more old photos. I know At Last definitely had a Lehman. Great boat.

Last edited:
I am restoring a hurricane damaged OR 26. My google + has a full chronology of the progress to date. The page also has a collection of other OR 26's I've collected over
time. Here is the link to the restoration album.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109104113708072824601/albums/5974839182753754577

The best thing about this boat is that was foam cored, not balsa. NO ROT! BTW most of these seems to have been engine with marinezed Isuzu C240 engines (Pisces)

I very much enjoyed looking over your restoration photos. Very impressive. I can't wait to see the final product. My Vashon is also largely foam cored--glad our builders made that decision! Yes, I've seen a number of used Outer Reefs with Isuzu engines.

Last edited:
Wow..SML..thats quite a labor of love!! Looks like you are doing it right.
And I stand corrected too..most of the engines were Isusu's not Mitsu's.

Thanks Nible1

Earlier this year I had several phone calls and email /photo exchanges with Andre. Yes, a very nice guy. He gave me a lot of history on the boats, etc. Since then I have tried to reach him via email and phone, but no luck. Do you know if he is doing ok?

SML, as far as I know he is. I saw him coming from the grocery store yesterday.I have not talked to him in a while, he can be a bit quirky...LOL But he does love to talk about his boats.

I am restoring a hurricane damaged OR 26. My google + has a full chronology of the progress to date. The page also has a collection of other OR 26's I've collected over
time. Here is the link to the restoration album.

https://plus.google.com/photos/109104113708072824601/albums/5974839182753754577

The best thing about this boat is that was foam cored, not balsa. NO ROT! BTW most of these seems to have been engine with marinezed Isuzu C240 engines (Pisces)
Nice work SML .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom