Old 03-22-2018, 11:23 AM   #61

City: SOBX North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Outboard Potential - from "only a few years ago"

Seeing as powerful outboards have been around for decades... I believe it's primarily due to marine architects' expanded window of thinking out o' da box! I applaud that!!
Yep, but they put out a ton of smoke, unreliable, and the weight was excessive. But the outboard builders have more than doubled their hp limits from what use to be capped at 200 hp even when the four strokes came about.

But also the new set up with the wireless control features adds a new avenue for builders. But along those lines, the designs have changed in the larger hulls. When was the last time you saw a 50 foot semi open hull for playing on the water? It was all about big condos or overnight cruisers as you left the mid 20 foot.
Scratchnsaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:32 AM   #62
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: Alzero
Vessel Model: Hatteras 63' CPMY
Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
A 60' Outboard Trawler has just been introduced. It's from Midnight Express and named their Pied-A-Mer, meaning Seaside Holiday Home. It has two master suites. 15' beam. 36000 pounds. It comes standard with Quad Seven Marine 627 hp outboards and top speed of 60 knots. There are optional surface drives which should move it close to 80 knots.

Attachment 74434

Attachment 74435

Now, certainly this could be equipped with smaller engines for trawler fans.

While this is obviously in jest as to calling it a trawler, I also point to their 34' model which has a smaller cabin and an 11' beam. For all the work others have done to try to produce a mid 30's foot range outboard trawler, I can easily see doing the loop in the 34 or 60' models with smaller engines. Plus the 34' is moveable (trailer but 11'). These are proven hull designs.

Here's the 34.

Attachment 74436

Attachment 74437

I know it seems crazy on the surface to put a high performance center console here. However, this is a Miami builder and I'm sure could easily customize either boat with smaller engines. Seems to me that the 34 or their 37' Cabin Model or some other CC builder's larger model with cabins could be a very reasonable starting place.

I could easily see doing the loop in such a boat. You have the incredible open view and yet still good sleeping, eating, relaxing quarters below.

Shows again that the potential of what can be done with outboards is far greater than it was only a few years ago.
How does it run on quad High-thrust 50's? 200hp should be more than enough to push it to hull speed, do you think they would build me one?
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:39 AM   #63
Guru

City: Fort Lauderdale. Florida, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
How does it run on quad High-thrust 50's?
I have no idea. Would be very interesting to know. Or perhaps more reasonably triple 125's or something. I'd be interested in knowing the last hp that would plane some of these boats.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:43 AM   #64

City: Punta Gorda, Florida
Vessel Name: Salty
Vessel Model: Fu Hwa 34 Europa
Outboard trawlers

[QUOTE=Scratchnsaw;647581]Yep, but they put out a ton of smoke, unreliable, and the weight was excessive.

In the last 10 to 15 years the move to 4 stroke has solved the smoke issue. I had a 150 Yamaha 4 stroke that was amazing. I grew up with the old 2 stroke technology and they were obnoxious but recent outboards have solved that issue.

John
Capt Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 11:54 AM   #65
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Also, Gulfstream just announced a 66'.

Attachment 74441

I still believe in the potential of outboards for trawler type cruising and think ultimately we'll see better execution of the concept than some of the versions so far.
I agree!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 12:22 PM   #66
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
Ranger/Cutwater make outboard trawlers in the 30' range. Some are single and some are twins. The engines are in the 250hp range.

As for the comments about OBs and docks. Yes, there can be some risk of bashing the OB motor against the dock. This can usually be solved by turning the boat around. Also, while there may be more risk of bashing an OB than an IB. If you did happen to hit something, the repair of the OB is going to be easier and cheaper than a similar repair to an IB.

With an OB there are no failure scenarios that will sink your boat (other than ripping it completely off the transom). How many IB boats have sunk because of a failure of some part of the cooling or exhaust systems?

Yes, you are moving considerable weight to the back of the boat. However, the boats are designed for this. It is not simply a matter of taking the engine of your IB out and hanging it on the back. Putting the motor(s) on the back gives you a large amount of additional space inside the boat. The amount of room taken up by two 300hp outboards is a fraction of the space required for two 300hp IB and their associated systems.

FWIW, the Cutwater 302 (w/twin 300 OB) can go in excess of 50 MPH.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #67
Veteran Member

City: Grass Valley
Vessel Name: Plan B
Vessel Model: 1982 Ocean Alexander 43
There are also diesel outboards that could be used too. With all the fuel you would have to have on board for gas outboards pushing a 60ft boat, I would feel safer with the diesel outboards....I know, back to really slow but isn't that what a trawler is all about anyway?
Delta Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:02 PM   #68
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta Dog View Post
There are also diesel outboards that could be used too. With all the fuel you would have to have on board for gas outboards pushing a 60ft boat, I would feel safer with the diesel outboards....I know, back to really slow but isn't that what a trawler is all about anyway?
The Nimble line has outboard trawlers up to 29'. They use single OB and are designed to travel at "trawler speeds". Nimbles have been around for a long time.

The current design thrust for OB trawlers is to make them trailerable. This limits some of the design options. While you can get a longish boat, they tend to be narrow due to the trailering requirement. Someone needs to design a OB trawler boat in the 30-40' range with a beam of 10-12' with a couple of OBs in the corners. Similar in size to common IB trawlers. Sort of along the lines of the TT35 (dual OBs) but shaped more like the G37. Two moderate sized OBs could easily push a G37 at hull speed.

As for the fuel issues. IMO the OB solution is better for gas than IB because there is no enclosed engine room or bay where fumes and ignition sources can mix.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:04 PM   #69
Guru

City: Boston Area
You don't really get to recoup all the space that inboards take up if you move to an outboard, because the outboards hang off your stern by 3 feet.
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:08 PM   #70
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benthic2 View Post
You don't really get to recoup all the space that inboards take up if you move to an outboard, because the outboards hang off your stern by 3 feet.
And...?

Seems like the OBs are now 3 feet further away.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #71
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Also, Gulfstream just announced a 66'.

Attachment 74441

I still believe in the potential of outboards for trawler type cruising and think ultimately we'll see better execution of the concept than some of the versions so far.
With so many boats having 4 to 6 outboards, one has to wonder when we will see physically larger models with longer shafts and propellers more appropriate to the size of the boat. Looking at a 66' boat, one would expect propellers of 30" or more which should be much more efficient.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:28 PM   #72
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
With so many boats having 4 to 6 outboards, one has to wonder when we will see physically larger models with longer shafts and propellers more appropriate to the size of the boat. Looking at a 66' boat, one would expect propellers of 30" or more which should be much more efficient.

Ted
Talk about redundancy for get home motors. Lack of fuel could be a big problem though!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:50 PM   #73
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssobol View Post
The current design thrust for OB trawlers is to make them trailerable. This limits some of the design options. While you can get a longish boat, they tend to be narrow due to the trailering requirement. Someone needs to design a OB trawler boat in the 30-40' range with a beam of 10-12' with a couple of OBs in the corners. Similar in size to common IB trawlers. Sort of along the lines of the TT35 (dual OBs) but shaped more like the G37. Two moderate sized OBs could easily push a G37 at hull speed.
Maybe it should be kept in mind the TT35 is a 6,500 lb planing boat and GH37/N37 is a 47,000 full displacement boat. Certainly, a lot of weight could be cut out of the N37 for an outboard design and maybe more weight using the construction techniques that are used in the TT35.

The allure of an outboard trawler is getting rid of the shafts and below water line thru hulls but there is still the issue of the genny which requires water cooling.
Old 03-22-2018, 02:52 PM   #74
Guru

City: Boston Area
With a speed of 80 knots and enough coffee, you could do the loop in a long weekend !! ( assuming you owned a gas company, and didn't want to see anything )
Benthic2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 03:01 PM   #75
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donsan View Post
Maybe it should be kept in mind the TT35 is a 6,500 lb planing boat and GH37/N37 is a 47,000 full displacement boat. Certainly, a lot of weight could be cut out of the N37 for an outboard design and maybe more weight using the construction techniques that are used in the TT35.

The allure of an outboard trawler is getting rid of the shafts and below water line thru hulls but there is still the issue of the genny which requires water cooling.
The GH37 runs on twin 54 hp motors. Probably cruises around 7 knots. Hp is Hp. Twin 100hp outboards should have no problem with a boat that size.

You could use an air cooled inverter generator (e.g. Honda) or mount a water cooled gen on the back near the motors with local water pickups that don't penetrate the hull.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #76
Guru

Quote:
The Nimble line has outboard trawlers up to 29'. They use single OB and are designed to travel at "trawler speeds". Nimbles have been around for a long time.

As for the fuel issues. IMO the OB solution is better for gas than IB because there is no enclosed engine room or bay where fumes and ignition sources can mix.
I dont understand why people think a boat with a 10' beam is not trailerable. All you need is annual permits for the state you are towing and you have to tow between sunup and sundown. Oh, and you have to put an oversize banner on the front of your truck, no guide car is needed. That does not seem too difficult to me in exchange for 18" more beam.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:18 PM   #77
Guru

City: Satsuma FL
Vessel Name: No Mo Trawla
Vessel Model: Hurricane SS188
Quote:
The GH37 runs on twin 54 hp motors. Probably cruises around 7 knots. Hp is Hp. Twin 100hp outboards should have no problem with a boat that size.
HP is HP but issue is converting horse power to thrust. The props on an high thrust outboard won't do the same job as the much larger props on the GH37/N37 with its attendant transmission.
Old 03-22-2018, 03:21 PM   #78
Guru

Quote:

You could use an air cooled inverter generator (e.g. Honda) or mount a water cooled gen on the back near the motors with local water pickups that don't penetrate the hull.
You could mount a pair of 3500w Honda or Yamaha generators in a box on the stern platform and have 7kw for a/c, microwave etc and use the same fuel as the mains.
Old 03-23-2018, 12:20 AM   #79
Veteran Member

City: Zhuhai
Vessel Name: SEZ HU
Vessel Model: Buehler 38' COOT
Quote:
Originally Posted by refugio View Post
C-Dories started as...dories. You can argue that a dory is a skiff with a cabin, but what's the point?

Anyway, while the first C-Dories did have flat bottoms, all boats since the late 80s have had a shallow V. And all C-Dories have had cabins, even the little 14s.

So they've been in production for more than 35 years. They started as wood and moved to all glass. While they are predominantly cruisers, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that more fish have been caught from C-Dories than any other manufacturer discussed on this site. Maybe more than ALL of them.

And I'm further willing to assert that more C-Dories have done the Great Loop than any other manufacturer. Part of that may be because they can be towed to the Loop, just like 10 to 20 of them get towed to Lake Powell every summer. And get towed across the country to cruise to Alaska. Or Mexico.

Are they trawlers? I'm not going down that rathole.

But with a long production run, traditional styling, economical cruising, wood then fiberglass - in spirit, they're closer to pocket Grand Banks than anything else. Oh, and they're even available with single or twins (I had twin 40hp Hondas on a CD22). And they have probably the strongest owners forum of any manufacturer, ever.
A Guy named William Least Heat-Moon drove his 1995 C-Dory across the country, from the Atlantic to the Pacific. Had to drag it across rocks sometimes. Wrote a book; River Horse.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:06 AM   #80
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I remain with a previously-posted opinion that if I don't smell diesel, I'm not on a trawler.