Old 12-05-2021, 08:42 AM   #41
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
That's nice if you want to have 2 boats, but not really what I'd call a dinghy. It must be a bit of a load to tow. Any concern in really rough weather. Not sure how a boat like that would survive in conditions some of us find ourselves in at times. Other than that, it's probably great fun to have 2 real boats to play with, but again, not nearly the same as a dinghy.
b n' b - Correct on all points...

- "That's nice if you want to have 2 boats, but not really what I'd call a dinghy." Simply great to have a tow behind that can easily carry four persons and some cargo. For just Linda and me it's a gasss to leave Tolly anchored on a calm day and lope around at 25 knot cruise to visit places. Top speed on gps at slack tide with just me aboard reads at 39.6 knots. At 25 knt cruise I guestimate 15 to 20 +/- nmpg. She's got 2 - 6 gal gas tanks... plenty of range; don't need to fill up often. Summer 2013 our then 90 yr. [she turned 98 last month] matriarch had heart attach emergency 100 miles from where we were [Tolly was anchored just a few miles from where we always dock under covered berth in SF Delta]... Anyway - We had daughter, hubby and 6 month baby aboard that weekend [with luggage]. So, to get them and wife back to marina ASAP [to rush home] we four adults with baby in arms and with some luggage jumped into "Minnie Me" [nick name of our tow behind] and she jumped up and hit plane for fast run to get to dock. They drove back in the kids vehicle and I went back to the anchored Tolly. Pulled anchor and docker her the next morning. Drove home in our vehicle.

- "It must be a bit of a load to tow." At slow cruise in Tolly [6 +/- knots; hull speed calcs at 7.58 knots] the friction load is not bad at all. At plane speed [16 to 17 knots] it requires increased rpm = more fuel cost. I keep her 50 hp. Johnson o/b locked in straight ahead up position.

- "Any concern in really rough weather?" We don't experience "...really rough weather" in SF Delta. So, yes having spent years towing a 13'3" Boston Whaler [with 40 hp. Johnson] while coastal cruising from NY to Maine I know what it's like to get caught in steep seas with a runabout in tow. And, yes towing a "funabout" in rough water can become a real problem. I would rather not be caught in that crap again [such as we were a couple times... decades ago - i.e., 1960's].

- "Other than that, it's probably great fun to have 2 real boats to play with..." YUP!!!

- "...but again, not nearly the same as a dinghy." Sure ain't!!!

BTW: I've had dinks in tow, dinks on davits and dinks on deck. Wood dinks, glass dinks, inflatable dinks and sailing dinks. Dinks are dinks... Tow behind "Funabouts" are kick assss.....
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 10:45 AM   #42
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
No argument for me. It's a great idea if it works for you and sounds like it does. Enjoy!
Old 12-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #43
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad Willy View Post
Dave ….. for how much money including batt?

No idea. I think when I bought mine over a decade ago now, it was about $3k all in. That included a flexible solar panel to charge it as well.

FWIW, the solar panel has worked great. On longer trips I would last the flex panel to the top of the dodger and it would recharge the battery as we traveled from one anchorage to another.

I have no idea what the cost would be now, more or less.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #44
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
No idea. I think when I bought mine over a decade ago now, it was about $3k all in. That included a flexible solar panel to charge it as well.

FWIW, the solar panel has worked great. On longer trips I would last the flex panel to the top of the dodger and it would recharge the battery as we traveled from one anchorage to another.

I have no idea what the cost would be now, more or less.
Easy enough to look up but if you are talking about a torqeedo + battery + charger + solar panel, $3K is probably still about right.
Old 12-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #45
Veteran Member

City: Mallets Bay, Vermont
Vessel Name: Fish Camp
Vessel Model: Eagle 32
I have a Cape Dory 10.5, just like the one in the video and greatly prefer it to an inflatable. The stability is pretty good for a big, old guy (72). Shaw and Tenney advised their large spoons and so equipped it rows nicely, haven’t sailed it yet as I have other sailing toys.
To the OP; have you ever built a center board? I built a 15ft lap strake sailing dingy and far and away the hardest part was making the center board. FWIW I enjoyed the process. One benefit of a small boat is you can lavish attention on them.
Some day I’ll put an electric outboard on the Cape Dory. If you’re going to keep the 8 footer I’d keep the 2hp.
Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:33 PM   #46
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
I don't mean to be rude but I'm having a tough time imagining a 6 foot plus and a 5' 11" person getting into that dinghy without issues, particularly if weight is a factor. If you have friends who have a swimming pool, why not take it there and you and your wife get in it.

With you and your wife in it, the skiff will sit lower in the water. It will be twitchy when the both of you enter and when you exit. I think for what you want it to do, its too small and not stable enough for two large people getting in and out of the craft.
rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 06:45 PM   #47
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
An eight-foot, fiberglass/wooden dinghy is adequate for the typical middle-age/older male.