Old 08-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #21
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
Wth 20 degrees deadrise and the engines all the way aft a boat will trim very bow high and be very inefficient.

Not trawler like at all.

At a knot below hull speed an OB will power a trawler but in rough going the prop may come out of the water.

I think it's hard to declare any OB boat a trawler but perhaps a very unusual one could qualify. Example ... An OB powered Albin 25 w the lower unit several inches deeper than usual I'd be inclined to call a trawler.

Outboards are high rpm and don't have low enough gears for an appropriate diameter propeller. If they did 15hp would be plenty on the Albin. IMO

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:09 PM   #22

City: Northern California
Too bad Yanmar no longer makes their 27 and 36 hp diesel outboards.
Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
Check out the rosborough 27 made in Canada. Sounds Exactly what you want, length, price and performance.
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:10 PM   #24
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
I enjoy the whole concept behind outboard trawlers. In my opinion, decent units are available here in the Rosborough and Duffy brands, easily convertible or build-able to diesel outboard if one wanted to really. Nimble boats might be a decent selection also. The Motorcat 30 has even more space and does trawler speeds on two 9.9 gas outboards. But let's get real. I don't know anyone that would choose to limit themselves to hull speeds if they didn't have to. If you had say, 50 or 60 HP, you'd have the option of going faster and extending your range. Why not.

Here's a Duffy that I passed today in Longboat Moorings. It had a 200 Volvo in it and uses a gallon per hour at 6.5 knots, but with a 16 knot cruise, it offers a good range. If you really could keep your foot out of the throttle, you either have slowpoke syndrome like some of us do, or you've got a lot of budget discipline.

The other two photos are of a central-Florida trawlette, basically a metal shed on two pontoons with A/C, generator, galley, berth and plenty of seating. At $6500, it's a novel idea that's practical for inland fishing and camping aboard, but hardly a choice for open water.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0966.jpg   IMG_0954.jpg   IMG_0952.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
Guru

City: Cape Cod
Vessel Name: Slip Aweigh
Vessel Model: Prairie 29
http://m.yachtworld.com/mobile/boats.../United-States

Name:  ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409447544.155299.jpg
Views: 1526
Size:  15.7 KB
cappy208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 PM   #26
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Here's the Rosborough 246 and the Motorcat MC-30.
Attached Thumbnails
Rosborough--BBYC.jpg   bond-yachts-pl-motorcat-30-35607060102153575648494950514569x.jpg  

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 PM   #27
Master and Commander

City: Vallejo CA
Vessel Name: Carquinez Coot
Vessel Model: penultimate Seahorse Marine Coot hull #6
I don't like bouncing over waves. Prefer to plow through them.

Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 PM   #28
Guru

City: Concrete Washington State
Vessel Name: Willy
Vessel Model: Willard Nomad 30'
I agree Mark.

Banging along dosn't seem very trawler like to me either but they will call anything a bit salty and cute a trawler. Especially brokers. For whatever reason trawlerness is vogue now.

North Western Washington State USA
Nomad Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:03 PM   #29
Scraping Paint

City: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustybarge View Post

Are these really trawlers?

The only legitimate definition of a trawler is a boat that fishes using trawl gear, like the langoustine trawlers out of northwest Scotland.

In the recreational boat world, "trawler" is purely a marketing term first coined by boat manufacturers and dealers who wanted their boats to conjur up the image of ruggedness and seaworthiness, however you define that.

So these days you can slap the term "trawler" on anything you want, and you won't be wrong. I expect we'll soon see the term applied to stand-up paddle-boards.

We have good boating friends who have a 36' custom lobsterboat. Powered by a 420hp Cat diesel, the boat weighs about 16,000 pounds and cruises at about 15 knots, although the owner cruises it a lot slower than that now to conserve fuel. It's a planing hull with a keel. When the water gets sloppy, at slow speeds it is a very uncomfortable ride with not-so-great directional control. Kick it up to 15 knots in the same conditions, and it rides like it's on rails.

As others have said, pick what you want to do. Most boats, if any, don't do slow and fast equally well.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 10:38 PM   #30
Master and Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marin View Post
In the recreational boat world, "trawler" is purely a marketing term first coined by boat manufacturers and dealers who wanted their boats to conjur up the image of ruggedness and seaworthiness, however you define that. ..
My understanding was that the original intent was to define a recreational vessel with living accommodations having low fuel consumption, limited to hull speed, due to the fuel crisis of the 1970s when fuel costs rose manifold. The term has been corrupted because it is a good marketing device.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:04 PM   #31
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Outboard powered Trawlers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpierce View Post
I don't like bouncing over waves. Prefer to plow through them.

Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #32
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1409457886.344066.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	32527
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:29 PM   #33
Al
Guru

City: ketchikan, Alaska
Vessel Name: 'SLO'~BELLE
Vessel Model: 1978 Marben-27' Flybridge Trawler(extended to 30 feet) Pilothouse Pocket Cruiser[
The question of what the cruiser with outboard mounted being a Carver. It is. A 32 foot model. It is recalled that they came as twin powered gas as standard but single 454 gas seems to come to mind as well.
The demonstrated concept is worth consideration when you are matching the fuel burn of the outboard(s) vs: the inboard(s). Ease of maintenance for one.
There are any number of conversions here in Southeast Alaska. The newer Mercury, Honda, and Yamaha large HP units are trouble free for the most part. Fuel burn is respectable for the speed/burn ratio.
Most of the conversions here are mounted on 26-32 foot rigs that were designed for some speed, (26' Tolly-24'/28' Reinell-28' Glasply as example) These conversions were made on I/O and straight shaft.
Have to agree that in the majority of the conversions the maintaining of a respectable level of speed is the goal. Contrary to we slow conventional "Trawler" boats.

Perhaps the concept as we view "Speed" would be better met with the use of "High Thrust" geared 9.9 Yamaha(s) or "High Thrust"15 HP Yamaha(s) on SD displacement
hulls that then would reflect more the traits of current mode of power. At about $3500.00 for a new Yamaha "high thrust"9.9. A,couple replacing a straight inboard would be somewhat cheaper as a replacement. Of course there are the added cost of a mounting bracket about $2-4,000. These OB's now come with electric remote controls making the installation a snap. With the original engines out of the picture, additional fuel tanks, storage, water tanks, what ever, can be considered.
Again, those who I am aware, are content and pleased with making or purchasing such a conversion.
The Carver viewed is a prime example in my opinion.
Regards,
Al-Ketchikan (Bridge to Nowhere) Alaska
Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 11:48 PM   #34
Master and Commander

To the OP: No, those definitely aren't recreational trawlers but that doesn't mean they couldn't meet your boating needs.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:31 AM   #35
FF
Guru

Most of the newer OB and IO powered boats have the same hassle.

Although it would be fairly easy to do with an OB the engine is not built to be lifted and is left immersed 100% of its life.

Sure it works fine for commercial fish guys and tour boats as they operate a few hundred days a year , so wear out the engine in 2-3 years before ir dissolves.

Most rec boats would dissolve the outboards or IO drive with only 200-300 hours a year of operation.
Remember many trawlers are 30-40 years old and are on their first engine.

There are low speed leg drives that are built for 3rd world use , that do rotate up and out and would solve the hassle. Many are aft deck mounted so a diesel, air or water cooled can be chosen , depending on local supply conditions.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:33 AM   #36
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPseudonym View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong Rustybarge but can you acquire diesel outboards in Ireland?
Unfortunately the EU have imposed emission controls that are so strict on Diesel engines that you would have to invent an engine that ran on water to get it certified.

But there is a supplier of Reconditioned Yanmar diesel outboards to the oil supply industry Scotland where there are restrictions on using volatile petrol in your OB.
I seriously considering this until I got a quote : 28 hp £12k plus 20% tax! and the bigger model thirty something hp £18k the guy told me the reconditioning kit from Yanmar in Japan was over £5k just for the bits.

There is a guy on the BD forum trying out the Chinese Runsun 40 hp diesel at the moment; I think it's about au$8k, but I know it took over a month to get a replacement impeller form china!
Diesel outboard - Boat Design Forums

My post on the same forum is about bolting a VW Diesel engine to an OB leg!
Converting an Outboard to Diesel. - Boat Design Forums
Rustybarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 05:43 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I think Richard was getting about 4 nmpg on that passage. The most efficient outboard I know of isn't quite a trawler, has a much higher cruise speed of 16 kt but does get 4 nmpg at that clip. Slow down to 14 kt and sip at 7 nmpg.

MC30
That's an interesting Cat.

Just for reference my 25' by 8' Cheetah cat that weighs 1.5 tons,similar to the one in my little photo ( I'm building the wheelhouse at the moment) gets about 4.5 mpg at 15kts on twin 40hp OB's.....worse than they are stating for their 2.5 ton boat!
Cheetah Marine LLP
Old 08-31-2014, 05:49 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
Hi Rusty, I don't think that's the boat for cruising but I like the idea of using an outboard to power a trawler cruising boat.

I'm going to cause some thread drift sorry. One of our members just completed an Atlantic crossing and is in Castletownbere. If you're any where near there you might want to stop by and say hello.
You can see where the boat is here: https://share.delorme.com/Dauntless

I see that Richard came up in the conversation while I was typing.
I'm totally amazed by Dauntless. I've never be more than a few miles offshore; when the land disappears over the horizon I start to panic .

I'm Right in the middle of Ireland, and I don't know Cork very well unfortunately.

Cork people are know all over Ireland for being the best at everything:
Cork is the best place in the world
Everything in Cork is much better than any where else
Everyone in Cork is much more intelligent
..in fact Cork IS the premier place in the World: full stop.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:54 AM   #39
Guru

Apologies to the forum: my posts are being moderated, so there is a delay before they appear.

3 or 4 of my posts have disappeared into the 'ether': I will wait to see if they reappear !
Old 08-31-2014, 06:13 AM   #40

City: St James City, Fl
Vessel Name: Sweet Pea
Vessel Model: Nimble Nomad 25' Trawler
Our Nimble Nomad trawler is OB powered with a 1991 Honda 45hp. It is trailerable although I have not done so in many years. When not in the water it resides on a lift.
Attached Thumbnails
propmate.jpg   SIMG0005 (2).jpg  
Nimble1 is offline   Reply With Quote