Out board motors

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mike Lowthian

Vessel Name
Acadia ll
Vessel Make
CHB
Acquiring a new o/b for use as a tender on my 11' Boston Whaler. Older 10 hp Honda died. Looking at a Yamaha 9.9 hp. (two cylinder, 4 stroke) - $2,400 all in. Previous experience with an 8 h p Tohatsu was excellent.

Any advice, comments welcome. Thx.

I just bought a 15hp Suzuki with EFI— pull start, no battery. Easy to start— first or second pull every time.. Runs great. Quiet. Not too heavy. Also comes in a 9.9 I think.

Just a suggestion.

We have the Yamaha 9.9. it has lot of hours on it now. It has been a great engine. Still starts on 3rd pull. We also have a Yamaha 2 stroke 8 hp as reserve, but it has not been used for 6 years now. The 9.9 keeps on running. The jets in the 9.9 are tiny, and I highly recommend a good filter inline. Dropbox - File Deleted - Simplify your life

I had a Yamaha 9.9 4 stroke on my sailboat. It was great.
So great that I traded in the sailboat for a power boat.
That great!

I've had Honda and Tohatsu OB's. I love them both. Honestly, I like the shifter built into the throttle on the Merc's.

I like the idea of EFI on a little four stroke. Almost all the problems with these little engines are carburetor related.

Also I have a 15yr old Merc 8hp two stroke for my jon boat, it has the shifter in the twist grip. When I bought the motor (used), I thought it was gimmicky. Not any more!! Grew to really like it. Would be more valuable on a dink as many of us like to extend the tiller with PVC pipe.

Not sure you can get EFI and twist shift on the same motor. Yet.

I don't think there is much running quality/performance/reliability differences between Zuke/Merc/Tohatsu/Yammi for 9.9s. Check the weights. Some the 8 and 9.9 are the same. Some the 9.9 and 15 are the same and thus heavier.

Last edited:
Have a 9.8 Tohatsu and am extremely happy with it. 3rd season and no issues whatsoever. Its the same motor as the Merc 9.9 4s.

Ken

I just bought a 15hp Suzuki with EFI— pull start, no battery. Easy to start— first or second pull every time.. Runs great. Quiet. Not too heavy. Also comes in a 9.9 I think.

Just a suggestion.

They are great and one of the best warranties

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom