Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #1
Veteran Member
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 30
Our offer Got accepted! Now what? Ď73 GB 42 Europa

So the sea trial is on Saturday anything special for me to ask or look for?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...uropa-3648595/
__________________
Advertisement

markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:15 PM   #2
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,039
Nice. Now the work begins to make her yours.
__________________

Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 30
Yep
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #4
TF Site Team
 
City: Westerly, RI
Country: USA
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
So the sea trial is on Saturday anything special for me to ask or look for?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...uropa-3648595/
A Surveyor who can properly survey the vessel. No offense, but if you have to ask, you are not prepared to perform your own survey and sea trial.
Shrew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:22 PM   #5
Guru
 
Comodave's Avatar
 
City: Au Gres, MI
Country: US
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9,386
Ok, to start, it looks nice in the photos. But unfortunately it has teak decks which can be a real problem, possibly. Get a good surveyor that is familiar with teak decks to check for wet coring.

Lehman engines are very good engines. The 120 have fuel injection pumps that have a separate oil system that isnít part of the engine oil. The oil in the injection pump is supposed to be changed every 50 hours since the oil gets diluted with diesel. It isnít too hard to do but does get overlooked, neglected, since it is a short interval. As you learn the engines you may be able to extend the interval somewhat based on your experience.

Then let the surveyor do his/her work and check out the whole boat. I would accompany the surveyor and learn in the process.

Get an engine surveyor that is familiar with Lehmans to check the engines. They are a really tough, long lasting engine. But check them out to make sure.

If the survey comes out well then close on it. If there are major issues then renegotiate with the seller to cover them.

Have you checked on insurance? If not do so now.

Good luck.
__________________
Boat Nut:
If you are one there is no explanation necessary.
If you arenít one, there is no explanation possible.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:27 PM   #6
Guru
 
JohnP's Avatar
 
City: Toms River
Country: USA
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,269
Congrats! She is a beauty! If you were searching for a Woody in amazing condition I think you have found her. I think keeping her is excellent condition will be more costly than a glass version. I am sure the Portland area has folks who know how to maintain wooden hulls, storage, hauling etc. I think the sea trial will go smooth and you will enjoy ownership of a special classic yacht. JEP
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:38 PM   #7
Guru
 
Alaskan Sea-Duction's Avatar
 
City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,039
I am with others. Hope you have an engine surveyor and hull surveyor.

Welcome to TF
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
tozz's Avatar
 
City: Seattle
Country: USA
Vessel Name: Conundrum
Vessel Model: Nordlund 63' Pilothouse
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
So the sea trial is on Saturday anything special for me to ask or look for?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...uropa-3648595/
All the previous comments have hit the nail on the head. Once the offer is accepted the next steps are an engine survey, a conditional survey (with haul out), and a sea trial. The two don't necessarily have to be done on the same day. I did them in the same day and the conditional survey spilled into the next day but that's not required. Hire a conditional surveyor and a mechanical surveyor for the engines. This will be your responsibility as the buyer and the surveyors "work for you". You will get two separate reports, one from each and once you review the results then it will be up to you to go to the seller for more money or ask for things to be completed as concessions. If there are no concessions that you want then you go to close as is on condition and price.
tozz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:52 PM   #9
Guru
 
Max Simmons's Avatar
 
City: Everett, WA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 38'
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 639
Very nice! I really like the lines and layout of the Europas. Seems like the 42 is kind of a rare bird.
Max Simmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:55 PM   #10
Guru
 
City: Boston
Country: US
Vessel Name: Adelante
Vessel Model: IG 30
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 993
12gal holding tank? Must be a misprint.
SoWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #11
Guru
 
firehoser75's Avatar
 
City: Nanaimo
Country: Canada
Vessel Name: Pilitak
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 37
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 1,232
I agree with all of the others regarding hiring a surveyor and mechanic to conduct testing/inspections. However, I have a document that might help you determine things to check and things to ask to ensure they are checked. The document does not have any wood hull speciifics however. If you would like a copy, send me your email address in a PM, as documents cannot be posted on the forum or sent thru PM.
__________________
Tom
Nanaimo, BC
firehoser75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
A Surveyor who can properly survey the vessel. No offense, but if you have to ask, you are not prepared to perform your own survey and sea trial.
Giggle, a professional surveyor is involved.
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #13
Guru
 
Pau Hana's Avatar


 
City: Seattle, WA
Country: Good Ol' US of A!
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
So the sea trial is on Saturday anything special for me to ask or look for?

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/197...uropa-3648595/
Yessir.

Survey- must be hauled. As the vessel is of wood construction, ensure that a good sampling of fasteners are pulled from the undersides of the vessel and their condition noted on the survey report (ideally, with photos).
__________________
Peter- Marine Insurance Guru & tuna fishing addict!

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 05:28 PM   #14
Guru
 
rgano's Avatar
 
City: Southport, Florida
Country: USA
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,211
Send a message via Skype™ to rgano
Watch the exhausts at startup; yes, they will smoke a bit of blue smoke which should go away to clear once underway and up to temp. Get into the ER while at cruise speed to look at the shaft packings and listen to the engines while looking at them with a strong light to detect any coolant or oil drips. Hopefully, the engines have had the coolant recovery bottle and double-acting radiator cap neck conversion. Watch while the surveyor runs the engines up to WOT to ensure they are properly propped. Turn all the nav electronics on to see the autopilot function and if it will follow a route on the plotter, assuming it is so connected. Check the radar display to see other boats at a mile or two distance. Check air conditioners and refrigerator of proper operation. Look in the bilge and poke around for soft wood, especially behind the fuel tanks.
__________________
Rich Gano
FROLIC (2005 MainShip 30 Pilot II)
Panama City area
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:17 PM   #15
Guru
 
Giggitoni's Avatar
 
City: Vallejo, California
Country: United States
Vessel Name: Mahalo Moi
Vessel Model: 1986 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,943
Have your surveyor check for condition of the fuel tanks. The second photo in the engine room shows the starboard fuel tank. It looks original but maintained well (painted and rust free). Check for possible rust on top of the tanks and well sealed deck fuel fills. We had to replace the fuel tanks in our '86 GB42. The cost of replacement could cost 25% of your seller's asking price.

Also, have your surveyor check the condition of the teak decks. Look for missing bungs (tops of screws or nails showing) and separation of sealant from the teak strips. Both of those occurrences allow water to enter into the sub deck. Look for a good seal between the teak deck and the side of the house. The quarter-round teak strip is actually more than 90 degrees. The teak decks were a bit thicker on the woodies. The cost of replacing the decks and repairing any damaged sub decking could easily exceed half of the asking price. Learn to love gray...

Most of the GB42s have holding tanks between 40 and 50 USG.

Good luck! Hope the above items are as good as she looks!
__________________
Ray
"Mahalo Moi"
1986 GB-42 Classic
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑβΕ
Giggitoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #16
Veteran Member
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post
Yessir.

Survey- must be hauled. As the vessel is of wood construction, ensure that a good sampling of fasteners are pulled from the undersides of the vessel and their condition noted on the survey report (ideally, with photos).
Thanks, good info.
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #17
Veteran Member
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
Watch the exhausts at startup; yes, they will smoke a bit of blue smoke which should go away to clear once underway and up to temp. Get into the ER while at cruise speed to look at the shaft packings and listen to the engines while looking at them with a strong light to detect any coolant or oil drips. Hopefully, the engines have had the coolant recovery bottle and double-acting radiator cap neck conversion. Watch while the surveyor runs the engines up to WOT to ensure they are properly propped. Turn all the nav electronics on to see the autopilot function and if it will follow a route on the plotter, assuming it is so connected. Check the radar display to see other boats at a mile or two distance. Check air conditioners and refrigerator of proper operation. Look in the bilge and poke around for soft wood, especially behind the fuel tanks.
Good info.
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:51 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
City: San Diego
Country: USA
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 478
The photos show a well cared for boat. Hoping the survey and trial go well for you. Congratulations on finding this gem. Lots of daytime space with the europa cabin and fly bridge.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggitoni View Post
Have your surveyor check for condition of the fuel tanks. The second photo in the engine room shows the starboard fuel tank. It looks original but maintained well (painted and rust free). Check for possible rust on top of the tanks and well sealed deck fuel fills. We had to replace the fuel tanks in our '86 GB42. The cost of replacement could cost 25% of your seller's asking price.

Also, have your surveyor check the condition of the teak decks. Look for missing bungs (tops of screws or nails showing) and separation of sealant from the teak strips. Both of those occurrences allow water to enter into the sub deck. Look for a good seal between the teak deck and the side of the house. The quarter-round teak strip is actually more than 90 degrees. The teak decks were a bit thicker on the woodies. The cost of replacing the decks and repairing any damaged sub decking could easily exceed half of the asking price. Learn to love gray...

Most of the GB42s have holding tanks between 40 and 50 USG.

Good luck! Hope the above items are as good as she looks!
Yes, we'll look at all that stuff. I hope your holding tank info is correct!
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:56 PM   #20
Veteran Member
 
City: Portland OR
Country: USA
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swfla View Post
The photos show a well cared for boat. Hoping the survey and trial go well for you. Congratulations on finding this gem. Lots of daytime space with the europa cabin and fly bridge.
It is my understanding that the owner used to own a shipyard/boat yard, and this boat has been what he has relaxed on for the last 20 years.
__________________

markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2006 - 2012
×