Old 09-29-2020, 12:13 AM   #21

City: Portland
Vessel Name: 42
Vessel Model: Ocean Marine
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoWhat View Post
12gal holding tank? Must be a misprint.
I'm hoping so, but that's a pretty easy problem to fix in the grand scheme of things.
markbarendt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:28 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnP View Post
Congrats! She is a beauty! If you were searching for a Woody in amazing condition I think you have found her. I think keeping her is excellent condition will be more costly than a glass version. I am sure the Portland area has folks who know how to maintain wooden hulls, storage, hauling etc. I think the sea trial will go smooth and you will enjoy ownership of a special classic yacht. JEP
Thanks.

Yes, it will be more work to maintain her, but any of her fiberglass sisters would cost me double or more up front.
Old 09-29-2020, 12:39 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If you have to replace the holding tank, look at Ronko tanks. They are good quality heavy wall tanks. They have hundreds of stock sizes and will put the fittings in the tank where you need them. No affiliation.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:03 AM   #24

City: Bellevue
Vessel Name: Rascal
Vessel Model: Homemade
When they haul the boat ask whoever is running the travel lift for the weight of the boat. It will give you a reference point for noodling over ground tackle changes down the road.
RedRascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 07:00 AM   #25
Veteran Member

City: North Andover
Is there any truth to marinas not allowing wood boats? I was (potentially) looking at early GBs and was concerned when I read this....although I was unable to "fact check" this comment...
Peter Keating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:28 AM   #26

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Maire
Vessel Model: 1974 Grand Banks 42 Classic
Peter - I’m located in the south Puget Sound area. I know for a fact that some marinas in my area will not haul-out a wood boat. Haven’t heard of anyone being turned away just for moorage. That being said most marinas want to see your insurance, and not all insurance companies want to take on a wood boat.

Matt
romany275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:39 AM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbarendt View Post
Giggle, a professional surveyor is involved.
Hey, you get out what you put in. No where in the original post do you mention a survey or a surveyor. But feel free to giggle at people trying to help you despite your lack of information.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:19 AM   #28
Guru

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Pau Hana
Vessel Model: 1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
Quote:
Originally Posted by romany275 View Post
Peter - I’m located in the south Puget Sound area. I know for a fact that some marinas in my area will not haul-out a wood boat. Haven’t heard of anyone being turned away just for moorage. That being said most marinas want to see your insurance, and not all insurance companies want to take on a wood boat.

Matt
All public access marinas in Puget Sound/Salish Sea require at minimum liability coverage for moorage (whether or not they are require to be named as an Additional Insured on your policy). You are correct that some yards will not haul out wood boats, but there are enough yards in the area (without going to Port Townsend) that it's an inconvenience at best. Equally important is the selection of a surveyor knowledgeable in surveying wood boats.

With regards to wood hulls and insurance- as a broker, I have access to a dozen + insurance markets, and only 3 will consider wood boats- and they all have stringent requirements to meet.

1989 52' PT Overseas yachtfisher
Pau Hana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 10:14 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRascal View Post
When they haul the boat ask whoever is running the travel lift for the weight of the boat. It will give you a reference point for noodling over ground tackle changes down the road.
Nice idea!
Old 09-29-2020, 10:22 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
If you have to replace the holding tank, look at Ronko tanks. They are good quality heavy wall tanks. They have hundreds of stock sizes and will put the fittings in the tank where you need them. No affiliation.
I'll look them up.

We had also thought of the possibility of switching to a composting toilet.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Hey, you get out what you put in. No where in the original post do you mention a survey or a surveyor. But feel free to giggle at people trying to help you despite your lack of information.
Giggling at myself.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:03 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by romany275 View Post

Matt
The owner of the boat used to own the yard where it's being hauled out for survey, so that's not an issue.

Working on the marina questions here locally this morning.
Old 09-29-2020, 11:44 AM   #33
Guru

City: US PNW
Whew, now I can stop talking myself in and then out of this boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keating View Post
Is there any truth to marinas not allowing wood boats? I was (potentially) looking at early GBs and was concerned when I read this....although I was unable to "fact check" this comment...
This also isn't a "fact checked" statement, but having considered a few wooden boats, here is my feeling: If I were going to buy a wooden boat, I would like it to be in one of the "wooden-boat-positive" geographical locations. These are locations that have active wooden boat communities, both owners and tradespeople.

Examples in the US would be NW Washington and Maine. If not one of those places, then at least a location with a really active wooden boat yard (hopefully combined with a marina). Example: Beatons in New Jersey.

Not that one couldn't have a wooden boat in other places (many do); but I think that would make it easier and any negative rules would take longer to arrive.

Thinking good thoughts for you! I have been drooling over that boat for months "Unfortunately," I have fiberglassing experience but not wooden boat experience, so in a practical sense, I'm trapped with fiberglass.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 03:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

This also isn't a "fact checked" statement, but having considered a few wooden boats, here is my feeling: If I were going to buy a wooden boat, I would like it to be in one of the "wooden-boat-positive" geographical locations. These are locations that have active wooden boat communities, both owners and tradespeople.

Examples in the US would be NW Washington and Maine. If not one of those places, then at least a location with a really active wooden boat yard (hopefully combined with a marina). Example: Beatons in New Jersey.

Not that one couldn't have a wooden boat in other places (many do); but I think that would make it easier and any negative rules would take longer to arrive.

Thinking good thoughts for you! I have been drooling over that boat for months "Unfortunately," I have fiberglassing experience but not wooden boat experience, so in a practical sense, I'm trapped with fiberglass.
Glad I could help reduce the stress in your life.
Old 09-29-2020, 03:17 PM   #35

City: Florida
Vessel Name: Chez Reagan
Vessel Model: Cargile Cutter
Sincerely hope the surveys go well. Gorgeous boat! I am so jealous.
friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 05:40 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty View Post

Well Frosty, time to start drooling again.

We weren't able to come to a final deal.

She is a gorgeous boat and if she was in Portland instead of the San Juans the deal would probably have worked. She'll need a bit of work but it's all seems very doable stuff. Just time and money.

If any one is interested I have a survey on her.

Take care
Old 10-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #37
Guru

City: Brookline, NH
Vessel Name: Shalloway
Vessel Model: Defever 44, twin Perkins
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Keating View Post
I have seen at least one marina in the Merrimack River that specifically said no wooden boats.

Ken
kchace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:11 PM   #38

City: Santa Barbara
I've owned wooden boats and they are fraught! They're beautiful but Beware! A lot of surveryors won't even do a wood boat survey. Many marinas don't allow them. I had a wooden sailboat and when I put it up for sale the office said they wouldn't allow the new owner to keep the boat there. I had 4 years of perfect ontime payments and no leaks or problems. Does help your sale pitch. They simply didn't want a wooden boat there. Banks won't typically loan on them Most of the yards here won't haul a woody out unless they know you and the boat. Resale difficult Someone already said it, pull as many fastners as the owner will allow. Saw some of the fasteners in half. Inspect/diagnose. Even with that, wood rot is insideous and extremely difficult to locate unless it's obvious. I've been around a few shipwrights and they both feel you don't know where the rot is until you start taking her apart. If I was going to buy that boat I'd much rather hire a real shipwright than some surveyor. Real shipwrights are a dying breed. Not easy to find. Maintenance on a woody can get discouring too. Neglect them for a year and you may end up with firewood. Oh, they also leak, they're supposed to. Unless you really have a passion for wooden boats...well, you know. I say all of this as a woody addict with no intention of entering rehab.
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote