Our Journey - new build hull #1 of KK 60’

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hrk

Veteran Member
Previously, i started a thread in this forum about our decision making process that evaluated between KK, NH and Flemming in 50’ to 65’ range. Made a decision to go with KK 60’ which is going to be hull #1.

This thread is all about stories and decisions we make and advice we seek
from decision point of buying to commissioning. Please keep in mind that we are a couple in 70’s, newbie to motoring (owned sailboats before), and enjoy slow pace of life.

I have had no prior experience of any of the boat builders we interacted with. That said i must say i was quite pleased with KK folks. Sales person was knowledgeable and pleasant to deal with. Everybody we met at KK design team and owners during decision making process were professional
and easy to deal with.

Now the question part!

For those TFers who have gone through the new bld process, i would be curious to know what is typical time period for constructing mold? Is mold making likely to be constrained by supply chain issues currently hurting the world? Boat will be built at a yard in Taiwan.

Also, i am a newbie to TF, so I wonder if talking about build process is a thread that belongs in this forum.

Regarding build time on the molds, how many boats do they need to sell before they start making the molds? Typically it takes a several boat commitment to start the mold building process. Have they reached that point yet?

Ted

Previously, i started a thread in this forum about our decision making process that evaluated between KK, NH and Flemming in 50’ to 65’ range. Made a decision to go with KK 60’ which is going to be hull #1.

This thread is all about stories and decisions we make and advice we seek
from decision point of buying to commissioning. Please keep in mind that we are a couple in 70’s, newbie to motoring (owned sailboats before), and enjoy slow pace of life.

Also, i am a newbie to TF, so I wonder if talking about build process is a thread that belongs in this forum.

I think this area is fine for your thread. Congrats on your choice. It will be great being hull #1 of a new model in KK's line-up. Exciting, in fact, but be prepared for the odd teething problem being hull #1 of a KK 60. :thumb:

For those TFers who have gone through the new bld process, i would be curious to know what is typical time period for constructing mold? Is mold making likely to be constrained by supply chain issues currently hurting the world? Boat will be built at a yard in Taiwan.

I've built two boats now (not Krogens), but your question of schedule is really best answered by KK. They should be able to tell you what teh build schedule is, including building the plugs, molds, and then the schedule for building your hull #1 from the new mold. Or is the 60 a variant on one of the existing boats where they can at least partially utilize existing molds? Did they provide any schedule?

Taiwan is a wonderful country with wonderful people. If you can, make a point of visiting the yard. I went three times when my most recent boat was being built, but then got shut out by Covid.

So far we are seeing very few supply issues in Taiwan but the lead times have gone up a fair bit on major parts.
Outbound shipping has also been an issue but this should start improving in the next 2 quarters.

As far as molds go a lot depends on the construction. One off CNC tooling is pretty quick but would require some extra time for faring once the parts pulled from the tooling. We do a lot of CNC tooling in Taiwan.

Building fixed tooling is more time consuming and requires a few extra steps but is worth the extra effort if your going to build a lot of the same hull.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new build and thank you for sharing with us all. Do you know where you are planning to moor her yet or are you planning to cast off immediately and be "of no fixed address"?

Love build threads so anxious to follow yours. Questions however on this model will have to go to KK. The 60' isn't even shown on their website yet. So, is it an entirely new hull or a relabeled boat on an existing hull or a slightly extended version of another hull. If an entirely new hull, takes a while to get tooling and then molds and likely that process is in very early stages. Relabeling is simple. For instance, the existing 58, is 63'6" so could easily have some minor redesign and now be called a 60. Then there are slight extensions, also easy. Take a 57' boat, extend the cockpit 3' and you have a 60' so only minor hull modification.

The fact they haven't put it on their site and even have the 58E and 70 there, gives me a lot of pause as to just what it is and where in the process. Hopefully you know some of these answers already.

As to waiting for several sales to build molds, most reputable builders do not do that. One sale and they're ready to go full speed.

i don't see supply chain being a major issue on the boat, but I do see it likely to get blamed for all delays. The reality is they have enough time in the schedule that they should anticipate and cover any supply chain issues. If something nine months from now is late by a month, they simply should have ordered it a month earlier.

I'm a fan of KK and their designs. I think they achieve good rough water boats but do so without sacrificing creature comforts. I can easily appreciate your choice as, although no information on the 60, it's likely got more living space than a comparably sized Nordhavn, but more seaworthiness than a Fleming due to it's higher sides and build. It's in many ways a compromise between those brands.

I would love to hear the factors that led you to your decision between three highly reputable brands, all of which could have been good choices.

Back
Top Bottom