Our 2009 Alaskan 56

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptainK

I posted a couple of times before we purchased the 2009 Alaskan 56 that we're cruising on right now. Now that we have had it for a year, I thought it might be helpful for others to follow up.

So, the Alaskan is not to be confused with the Grand Alaskan. The Alaskan was built by Oviatt Marine, which went out of business. The rights to the Alaskan brand and all the remaining assets were acquired by Seattle Yachts.

We love this boat. It's essentially the perfect boat for us. Instead of 3 staterooms, we have two cabins, and the master has a full-sized queen with plenty of room to walk around. The twin C7 engines are the perfect fit. The twin 454HP engines provide more than enough power, while the maintenance cost is less than the bigger caterpillar engines. We cruise around 6-8 knots and generally get around 6-8 GPH for both engines combined.

In our first year of ownership, we spent about $180k on her, which included:

14 new 290AH group 8D AGM batteries (24V House, 12V House, 24 Inverter, and 24V Thruster)
Sandblasted and resealed bottom
New hydraulic cylinders for the stabilizers
Fiberglass work on one of the stabilizer fins
New rudder and stabilizer bearings/seals
Machined both shafts and new cutlass bearings
Refurbished line cutters / Spurs
Gelcoat cosmetic fixes
New salon carpet
New TV for the salon
Replaced the camera system with 4 PTZ PoE cameras (two engine room, back deck, and flybridge)
Added an NMEA2000 network
New depth/temperature sensor (N2K)
New 4.1" displays for data, Furuno i70s
New wind sensor
New antennas, commercial-grade, for VHF and AIS
New AIS Class B+
Rebuilt turbochargers
New Victron 24V Skylla-i charger
New fuel tank sensors (Maretron)
Serviced fire suppression system (and fixed auto shut-down)
NMEA 2000 adapters for both engines
A 23" Dell touch screen for TimeZero and Cameras
A 15" Beetronics touch screen for NMEA2000 dashboard
Ultraviolet water filter
Replaced both Headhunter pumps, 110V and 24V (great company)
Replaced all air conditioning hoses
Replaced about 50% of the interior lights with LED lights
Rebuild of davit cylinder (and paint)
New Highfield CL340 tender
Watermaker

I am sure I've forgotten a few things, but we really love this boat. This year I'm planning on replacing the original Raymarine autopilot and adding some more NMEA2000 sensors -- primarily for monitoring the battery banks.

Our build came with an access door to the lazaret and engine room on the transom, so having technicians work on things is much less disruptive because they don't need to walk through the boat. The engine room is massive too, with a ton of head-space, and it makes getting things done down there so much easier and faster.

patience-in-blackpoint-0339.jpg

our-trawler-patience-160452.jpg

20210325_101851.jpg

explorking-featured-comer-chan.jpg

May I be the first to say- beautiful boat and gorgeous pictures. I hope to see much more in the future.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom