Old 08-30-2020, 01:58 PM   #21
Guru

City: Tacoma, WA & Ashland, OR
Vessel Name: boatless, ex: Seeadler
Vessel Model: RAWSON 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayM View Post
Never heard of this item before...motion activated anti cat/dog spray...found after exhaustive 2.8 second internet search...cheap and maybe worth a try:

https://www.amazon.com/PetSafe-Deter.../dp/B0721735K9
Let me know how it turns out. Ive got a couple bears who won't stop raiding my bird feeders.
AlaskaProf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 02:03 PM   #22
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaProf View Post
Let me know how it turns out. Ive got a couple bears who won't stop raiding my bird feeders.
Maybe you can pop the top off and hack it onto a can of bear spray...carefully!
Old 08-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #23
Guru

City: Campbell River
Vessel Name: Blue Sky
Vessel Model: Nordic Tugs 42 Hull #001
We have them here on the docks in Campbell River. The solution that seems to work is to spread cayenne pepper around. If you put it on your swim grid and then wash it off when you're using the boat, you should be okay, although I don't really know how well it washes off.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:20 PM   #24
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: North Star
Vessel Model: Lindell 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy and the Twins View Post
one method is to take a piece of plastic / rubber or something similar to Dri Dek, and stud it with either galvanized or stainless steel grabber screws, 1 or 1.25 ", and lay this on the swim platform, they will not hop up on the swim platform. This is like stubby bird spikes. Be sure to tie down the mats and weight the mats down so that they stay in place.
This.
lwarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:49 AM   #25
FF
Guru

I don't imagine otters are "protected" ,all that is needed is a good cook book .
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:32 AM   #26
Guru

City: Seattle
I recall a little something called the MMPA
Mako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:02 AM   #27
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post
I don't imagine otters are "protected" ,all that is needed is a good cook book .
They are protected in the US, endangered species as well as protected sea mammal.
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:24 AM   #28
Guru

City: Coupeville Wa.
Vessel Name: Pacific Myst
Vessel Model: West Bay 4500
The PO of my boat had otter problems. He said rat traps tied togehter in a string and tied to the swim step worked. Of course the rat traps won't catch the otters but the traps frighten them. The function of the string is to retrieve the traps for re-use. It didn't take the otters too many exposures to the rat traps to learn to find another place to haul out.

Comodave's heads up putting guards on your exhaust is important. I had a critter make a home in the exhaust years ago.
Old 08-31-2020, 10:28 AM   #29
Guru

City: Beverly Hills
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
They are protected in the US, endangered species as well as protected sea mammal.
That would be news to the Florida Wildlife Commission. Like most every state hunting and trapping is managed. Florida requires a $26.50 trapping license and times for harvesting and limits.
Attached Thumbnails
605522C0-110F-42AA-8E97-CD5341AE7642.jpg  
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:44 AM   #30
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiDHo View Post
That would be news to the Florida Wildlife Commission. Like most every state hunting and trapping is managed. Florida requires a $26.50 trapping license and times for harvesting and limits.
That's river otters, I was assuming he was dealing with sea otters based on where he is, I may be wrong?
Old 08-31-2020, 02:48 PM   #31
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
That's river otters, I was assuming he was dealing with sea otters based on where he is, I may be wrong?
River Otters.

Sea Otters were hunted to extinction in BC over 100 years ago. They were re-introduced to the west coast of Vancouver Island a few decades ago and are multiplying rapidly, but have not yet been seen in the Canadian Gulf Islands.

The River Otter population hereabouts is stable.

Back to my original reason for posting: This morning I watched as several otters once again played on my aft deck. This despite the measures I had taken to make their climb onto that deck as difficult as possible. As moorage had once again opened up at the YC outstation at Scott Point, I moved the boat to that moorage, where no otters have been bothersome this year. One of my friends present when I arrived suggested a mat of chicken wire on the swim grid, as being effective, and not too offensive to human traffic. I will be trying that next time I tie to the mooring bouy.
Old 08-31-2020, 03:59 PM   #32
Guru

Yes, River Otters. Sea Otters are rare, although I've seen them around Annette Inlet (Prevost Island) but usually out in the Gulf somewhere, often on their backs eating something and sometimes with a pup resting on their belly.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #33
Guru

City: Anacortes
Quote:

Believe that’s sea otters that are protected not river otters. I’ve only ever seen river otters in the Salish sea.

I’m moving to a slip that has a family of river otters that often hang out and am motivated to not run afoul of the mmpa in any way!

They mostly come at night. Mostly.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 05:13 PM   #34
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost View Post
Believe that’s sea otters that are protected not river otters. I’ve only ever seen river otters in the Salish sea.

I’m moving to a slip that has a family of river otters that often hang out and am motivated to not run afoul of the mmpa in any way!

They mostly come at night. Mostly.
In Canada, Sea Otters are protected, while River Otters can be harvested as long as the appropriate permits are in place.
Old 08-31-2020, 06:31 PM   #35
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Expensive maybe, but what about a a piece of canvas secured to the outboard edge of the swim grid and cinched up tight to the hand or cap rail of the boat? Maybe experiment with a slick blue tarp.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 01:53 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Canby, Oregon & LaPaz, BCS, MX
Vessel Name: MV SeaStar
Vessel Model: 1969 DeFever-OBC 50' wood
We saw Sea Otters in South Puget Sound some years ago on one of our first cruises but have never seen any since. River Otters, however, are residents at our marina. They are often on the docks at night but we've luckily not had them on our boat. Some notes: They like to sleep on neatly circled dock lines so instead, pile the lines in a bumpy lump. They are attracted to something in new upholstery and carpet and have been known to shred the interiors of newly upholstered or carpeted boats. One owner has kept them off by putting carpet runners with grippy, spikey backs upside down on the swim step and cockpit. Good luck!
SeaStarDF50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:51 AM   #37

City: Vancouver BC
Otters

This past summer we had numerous otters and seals

use our shelter in North Vancouver for their dinner parties leaving behind

the leftovers and of course otter and seal poop
A handyman who does lots of odd jobs at our club said the solution is to sprinkle laundry soap on the deck of the shelter as the otters don't like
smell of soap. We have had no problem since we tried this
Your boat is outside to the weather so you may have to be a little more inventive but soap does work
Also I heard from a friend in Pender Harbor that he keeps a radio in cockpit

with music on low .Apparently they don't like the sound and have kept out of his cockpit since he has used it. I have not tried the radio

Hope this helps
sockeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 09:05 AM   #38
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockeye View Post

...with music on low .Apparently they don't like the sound and have kept out of his cockpit since he has used it. I have not tried the radio

Hope this helps
Handel's Water Music?
Old 09-05-2020, 09:55 AM   #39

City: White Rock, BC
Vessel Name: Dame Fortune
Vessel Model: Camano 41
Keith.

I also have a trawler on Salt Spring Island with the same otter issue. I love to watch and photograph the otters but I’m not as fond of the clean up required. I’ve had otters in my boathouse in Surrey and also on the dock on Salt Spring, so I’ve tried various non-lethal methods to keep them at bay.

Otters are very sensitive to smells and will stay away from strong, disagreeable odours. In the boathouse I just sprinkled some Tide laundry detergent on the dock and they never came back. Another theory is that the soap interferes with the waterproofing oils in their coats, so they avoid it.

I’ve also tried the electric fence, which works but it’s a pain to maintain, and people kept tripping over the wire. I also leave the radio on 24/7.

On the Salt Spring dock, I filled a crab bait container with bleach and strapped it to the dock beside my boat. So far so good, I haven’t had any otters on my boat, although they are on other parts of the dock.

I know another guy who has success using moth balls on his sailboat deck.

Any kind of chemical odour might work. I’d be interested to hear about other non-lethal, effective methods of controlling the otters.

Cheers.
ehirtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:12 PM   #40
JP2
Veteran Member

City: Gig Harbor, WA
Kieth -- Could you please further explain the crab bait container with bleach???
JP2 is offline   Reply With Quote