Original boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I saw a west coast commercial fish boat once, named "Fog Ducker". I hope the captain isn't dyslexic.

Last edited:
It gets worse. Adding "ide" to Sylph means a very YOUNG pixie or fairy. Mythical or not...well....you know...

Even more explaining to do! Dammit! Lol.

Mark, I do agree with you. About as unique as it gets really. No confusion about yours. I'm sure getting others to pronounce it correctly is a chore though.

As for our boat, Black Eyed Susan, we knew that many wouldn't know it is the state flower of Maryland but geez we thought SOME would know. Not down here. Annapolis yes, Florida? Nope. When my wife (Sheree) and I are both on the boat the passers by always have the same question for her...."You Susan?". She said she is going to get a polo shirt with Susan embroidered on the pocket just for the boat.

I have yet to find another boat with our name. I was surprised as its not THAT odd of a name....

I really like Black Eyed Susan. It's my mom's favorite flower.

After a string of sailboats spanning 45 years, we now have a trawler named Telesis -- def: Progress intelligently planned. We think it's perfect.

It's a bit of a nonsense word that would be difficult to get across over the radio, but I like what it means.

Attachments

• Cod.jpg
    Cod.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 51
And on a fishing boat in Sydney:

"Gobble De Hook"

(a take on Gobbledegook.)

Saw a sailboat with "Blow Me" on the transom. I'd say it was a single man's boat or his lady had a sense of humor.

Boat names

Seriously doubt that anyone with a disgusting boat name has good luck with ladies, who would be caught dead on a boat with such a name? Years ago when I sailed a neighbor named his vessel “Passing Wind”. On the funny side my Orthopedic surgeon named his boat “Bone Voyage”

Last edited:
Wifey B: There's probably no one who loves sexual innuendos and double entendre more than I do, but I find putting them as boat names very inappropriate. You're forcing others who might not like such terms to use those words. I am careful to select the language I use and the words I say based on the audience. The audience using boat names is every other boater, every bridge tender, every lockmaster, and every LEO.

I actually heard a lockmaster refuse to use a boat name. It was a name the CG wouldn't have likely allowed if the boat had been documented. I don't know the outcome but between that lock and the next lock, FWC pulled up to the boat, I'm sure either listening or contacted by the lockmaster, who was quite offended. Perhaps he was overreacting. We were all giggling at the entire episode, but then we didn't have to participate. Even I would not have used the name over the airwaves. :)

It's the opening sentence from Atlas Shrugged.

When in college I took some architecture history courses (business major)and we had to read Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and learned all about Howard Roark. Then when getting an MBA we had to read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and learn about John Galt. I feel I got a great education :socool::socool:

Seriously doubt that anyone with a disgusting boat name has good luck with ladies, who would be caught dead on a boat with such a name? Years ago when I sailed a neighbor named his vessel “Passing Wind”. On the funny side my Orthopedic surgeon named his boat “Bone Voyage”

Wifey B: There's probably no one who loves sexual innuendos and double entendre more than I do, but I find putting them as boat names very inappropriate. You're forcing others who might not like such terms to use those words. I am careful to select the language I use and the words I say based on the audience. The audience using boat names is every other boater, every bridge tender, every lockmaster, and every LEO.

I actually heard a lockmaster refuse to use a boat name. It was a name the CG wouldn't have likely allowed if the boat had been documented. I don't know the outcome but between that lock and the next lock, FWC pulled up to the boat, I'm sure either listening or contacted by the lockmaster, who was quite offended. Perhaps he was overreacting. We were all giggling at the entire episode, but then we didn't have to participate. Even I would not have used the name over the airwaves. :)

I agree with you both. I debated mentioning it. It's not a name I would have chosen. The boat was located in Clearwater, FL around August 1995.

I agree with you both. I debated mentioning it. It's not a name I would have chosen. The boat was located in Clearwater, FL around August 1995.

Wifey B: Well, the one I'm referring to was from Norfolk, VA and folks there are far more sensitive than we South Floridians. :D

No mater where it is, its not just the individuals choice. If I am walking down the dock with my grand children and they want an explanation. What do I say? Its like license plates. They dont allow stuff like that on cars. What you hang on your living room wall is YOUR choice.

I had a boss that had a 4x6 picture of himself and wife trying to conceive a child hanging over the sofa. It was his house, but it was my last visit...that was MY choice.

I had a boss that had a 4x6 picture of himself and wife trying to conceive a child hanging over the sofa. It was his house, but it was my last visit...that was MY choice.

Was that 4ft x 6ft? LOL

I applaud your decision.

When in college I took some architecture history courses (business major)and we had to read Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and learned all about Howard Roark. Then when getting an MBA we had to read Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged and learn about John Galt. I feel I got a great education :socool::socool:
Sounds like you got a good dose of Objectivism in late adolescence!

How about Caroliner? That's the name I am planning for my boat. Has anyone seen or heard of it before? I have lived in SC all of my life so Carolina then smash ocean liner on the end. I'll do a good bit of boating off the SC/NC coast until I get the feel for my boat so she'll be the Caroliner. :thumb:

How about Caroliner? That's the name I am planning for my boat. Has anyone seen or heard of it before? I have lived in SC all of my life so Carolina then smash ocean liner on the end. I'll do a good bit of boating off the SC/NC coast until I get the feel for my boat so she'll be the Caroliner. :thumb:

Nice name, thoughtful, is representative of you and means something. Marinetraffic.com shows no other boats with that name. I think its a winner.

It's a bit of a nonsense word that would be difficult to get across over the radio, but I like what it means.

Yes, a good one as well although you would be spelling quite a bit. Hopefully no one would confuse it with cattywampus (one of several spellings) which has a much different meaning. Basically "all out of whack"!

Did you give up on your original idea of "TFNeedsAnotherBurgee" ??? Probably a good idea.

Here is one I saw on my AIS. Then found it kn the marine tracker appScreenshot_20190806-192204_Chrome.jpg

Nice name, thoughtful, is representative of you and means something. Marinetraffic.com shows no other boats with that name. I think its a winner.
:thumb: Thanks.

...Years ago when I sailed a neighbor named his vessel “Passing Wind”...

Our yacht club participates in a very popular fundraiser race each year. Lots of enthusiasm, big crowds - but for years the annual t-shirt has had that phrase written across the back, "Just Passin' Wind." I'll wear that shirt doing yard work or to bed at night, but never in public.

Today, in Royal Roads, I passed flotilla of training vessels from the Canadian Naval Academy with names like: Wolf 61, Raven54, this being Canada, there was also a Renard cinquante huit :socool:

Our yacht club participates in a very popular fundraiser race each year. Lots of enthusiasm, big crowds - but for years the annual t-shirt has had that phrase written across the back, "Just Passin' Wind." I'll wear that shirt doing yard work or to bed at night, but never in public.

I've seen more than one sailboat named Windrush

Yes, a good one as well although you would be spelling quite a bit. Hopefully no one would confuse it with cattywampus (one of several spellings) which has a much different meaning. Basically "all out of whack"!

Did you give up on your original idea of "TFNeedsAnotherBurgee" ??? Probably a good idea.

It’s either that, or ‘M/V who’s ready for another poll??!?’

My 40' Bluewater pilothouse trawler is named "Monarch III". My bet is that this was the 3rd boat of the owners. I even have Monarch pillows that were in the boat to boot. The life of the Monarch butterfly is most interesting. Obviously this boat is named after one that made the longer trip. My center console in FL is "Cracker Baby"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom