Original boat name

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Cygnus here. Constellation and my former golden retriever. Miss that wonderful dog.

Sixty years ago convinced my father to name his 29-foot sloop "Seeadler," German for "Sea Eagle." Named if after a WWI German sailing ship raider. The first syllable does not rhyme with "see" or "sea." Try "Zayaudler."

Seeadler was the last sailing warship, a 300 foot American built barque (if you've seen Balclutha at the San Francisco maritime museum, just like that). Ran the British blockade in 1916, passing as Norwegians. They operated mostly in the South Atlantic, sinking 16 ships without killing a man. Cast into a desert atoll by a rogue wave, a whole other adventure began.

Lowell Thomas wrote a best selling biography of the the very colorful captain, Felix, Graf von Luckner in1927. Sold millions; you can still pick up a copy on the internet for ten or twenty bucks. My middle school library had this book, it is responsible for my undying love of nautical literature.

Here's the shrine in the saloon of my Seeadler

Attachments

• IMG_20190730_194721.jpg
    IMG_20190730_194721.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 99
Last edited:
Just don't name her "May Dey". Causes much confusion and frequent CG boardings.

Just don't name her "May Dey". Causes much confusion and frequent CG boardings.

I would think that would be a disallowed name on a documented vessel.

My Uncle had a boat named “Heyday”. I’m not sure if it was documented or not, but I would guess not. I only sailed on her a couple times as she was on Lake Ontario and I grew up in WA State.

I always felt that it was a terrible name because of the obvious potential for confusion.

... There is a whole other genre of boat names that I find juvenile. It is the name that is meant to be preceded by the by the wife saying “He is at/in/with..”. A couple examples being “The Office”, “The Doghouse”, “The Other Woman”, etc...

I saw one named "Job Site". It was towed by a truck with general contractor signs on it.

I’ve never seen In which we serve.
Noel Coward's tribute to his buddy, "Dickie" Mountbatten. A very loose rendering of the sinking of M's destroyer HMS Kelly. Very good production values for a wartime film. Coward is a ham, but some really good work by others, Bernard Miles as the "Buffer" and a very young John Mills.

We saw a sailboat named "Monkey's Brain" (in French it is "Cervelle de Singe"), I wish I could hear some radio communication with this one...

L

If I ever change the name on my boat, I will rename it Daniel, after me.
Why shouldn't I, after all I am the one paying the bills.

My dad named is boat after mom, she died, he renamed to boat after his second wife. Not sure if he renamed the boat after the death of his 2nd wife and renamed it after his 3rd wife. SHRUG

Bought the boat in 2008 and renamed her Old School. Everything on her, including the Captain, was built last century.

This is a little off subject but we saw two names we found funny at the Charleston Marina. Both were working pump out boats, Grateful head and Bow Movement.

Last edited:
The honey-wagon boat serving Alcatraz is named "Solitary."

This is a little off subject but we saw two names we found funny at the Charlotte NC Marina. Both were working pump out boats, Grateful head and Bow Movement.

I tried to tell my wife those two names as I thought they were mildly amusing. When I got to Bow Movement I couldn’t stop laughing. I think it is one of that is a lot funnier when you say it, than when you read it.

The one in Roche Harbor was named Pheacal Phreak.

Just took four days to bring our boat up from Mobile area to Demopolis, AL for haul out and bottom job. The TennTom waterway only recently reopened from closure due to flooding and shoaling, so lots of tows (push boat and 8 barges mostly). Expected to have to spell or explain ADAGIO. but who knew, many Alabama tug captains know how to read music:thumb:

Oh great, Bill's set a new benchmark. Now I'm going to gave to buy a signed first edition of Coleridge's Sybilline Leaves when he first published Kubla Khan, to leave on the coffee table on the boat. Let's see, came out around 1816, that should only be a couple grand.59152b5253391.image.jpeg

The boat I am in the process of buying is a Ranger Tug with a dark blue hull.
Named "Blue".
I think I'll leave it as is.

About 20 years ago, I saw a mega yacht in Charleston called "Phallacy". I had a feeling someone was overcompensating.

...but 'Aluminum Falcon' popped into my head...

I mentioned that to my wife in jest as well - but I went with the British spelling and pronunciation - ALUMINIUM FALCON - it sounds better out loud.

1. Unique; I don’t recall seeing a boat named Trillium before.

We have friends with a boat named Trillium. It's a flower.

Last edited:
I'm glad to see that there are only three other boats with the same name as ours, but I really didn't think that there would be any.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom