Old 08-07-2020, 03:10 PM   #1

City: Long Beach Ca
Vessel Name: Island Hopper
Vessel Model: 1966 Californian
opinions on Volvo TAMD41 P-A

Looking for an honest opinion of owners on the Volvo TAMD41 P-A.
boat I've put a deposit on has twins.
Mechanical survey result was excellent condition. Has 800 hours both.

jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 04:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I have not owned those particular Volvos, but have owned Volvos in the past. The parts are sometimes difficult to get and sometimes takes forever to get. Volvo doesn’t support the legacy engines very well, if at all. Search for Volvo threads here. Make sure parts are still available and at what costs as Volvo parts are usually very dear. Sorry to be Debbie Downer but that is my experience.

Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #3
Guru

City: PNW
I don't even know enough about them to be dangerous, but you would probably like a variety of inputs. I started boat shopping (YW shopping only as of yet) with a chip on my shoulder about Volvo Penta (so that's my bias going in), but naturally one of the boat models I'm interested in often has the TAMD41P-A.

From the reading I have done, this does sound like a really good one though. You know, every brand has some engines that are more rock solid than others, and the TAMD41-P has so far (reading only) sounded like one of those.

I also found there were some options for a few of the more expensive parts (coolers, etc.)

Any comments about whether or not this is all misguided? I'm interested too, so OP, glad you started this thread.
Frosty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #4
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Those engines are barely broken in, very low hours. I would not be afraid of them.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:43 PM   #5
Guru

City: Duvall, Wa
Vessel Name: Beach Music II
Vessel Model: 2003 Mainship 430 Trawler
Our Camano Troll had a TAMD41. They were the standard for Camano for many years and were installed in about 200 boats up until 2005. We put 2000 hours on ours without any problems, other than a water pump.
porman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #6

City: Sitka
Vessel Name: Ventana
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Our previous boat had one, not very well taken care of by the owner before us. Still had very few issues, parts were not overly hard to source but were expensive. The only thing I remember not liking was ours had the crankcase breather venting back into the air cleaner housing, and it went through air filters pretty quickly.
Ventana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
Guru

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
Looking for an honest opinion of owners on the Volvo TAMD41 P-A.
boat I've put a deposit on has twins.
Mechanical survey result was excellent condition. Has 800 hours both.
I have 2 of those. Both were originally installed in a Commander 30 and removed to allow that boater to go much faster with bigger Volvos. I got them at 1500 hrs, redid the injectors before installation. No unusual expense then, nor since. That was in 2000, so I now have 20 more years and ~2000 more hours. I have had no issues whatsoever with one engine, but the other had a failure of its raw water pump and developed a hole in its oil cooler. No silly expenses for either, No difficulty getting parts when I needed them. The water pump was an in-stock item at my local VP dealer, the oil cooler was repaired and has another 10 yrs on it without issue. Great engines, start instantly, even in the winter. They smoke slightly on startup, but it clears on warming up.

If you read the posts on Volvo threads here, you will see strident anti-Volvo rants by a very small but vocal group. Claims that parts are silly expensive seem to be an East Coast thing, claims that Volvo doesn't support "legacy" engines shouldn't now apply to these, but if you plan to keep your boat until its engines are 50+ yrs old these may then be called "legacy" and you will get to evaluate Volvo support at that time yourself.

I also have a Cummins ISL 400hp, and when I recently (June 2020) shopped for oil filters for both my Volvos and my Cummins, I got 2 for the Volvos for the price of 1 for the Cummins. In the same store, same price per hp. I have found other comparatives that measure up the same way, so won't credit reports by posters who don't supply real evidence.
Old 08-07-2020, 07:53 PM   #8
Guru

City: Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Hi-D-Ho
Vessel Model: 1987 Krogen Manatee
HiDHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:13 PM   #9

City: San Diego
It should be easy enough to speak with your nearest Volvo marine repair facility. Just introduce yourself as a potential new customer with a few questions.
Swfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 08:18 PM   #10
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Were do you want this conversation to go. BMW parts are harder to get and more expensive than Honda parts but I would rather own a BMW.

Cummins pars are easier and cheaper than Volvo parts unless you have a Cummins 555. Then the Cummins parts are more difficult.

I am not anti Volvo. In General Volvo stuff is cooler than everyone else but way more expensive and Volvo is quicker to drop support than others. That’s in general, in specific it can be the complete opposite.

In the PNW I am not afraid of Volvo as we have great Volvo service centers. If there is no Volvo service in your area you should rethink things.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #11

City: Long Beach Ca
Vessel Name: Island Hopper
Vessel Model: 1966 Californian
I am not worried about the expense of parts. They are what they are. Are they solid dependable engines are my concerns. I can pay for parts. I can do most work and a friend is a commercial diesel engine mechanic.

jclays is offline   Reply With Quote