36 Convertible Boat Test Report - PDF
Old 03-11-2019, 03:04 PM   #22

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
Not advice, just posing alternatives.

The OP has a primary concern about Cat 3116s. Unless well taken care of they could be a financial nightmare in a partially sunken and then auctioned boat of any kind. He wants to save up front money. With many 37 Silvertons built with gassers, that savings is realistic.

The gas consumption is up to the skippers hand on the throttle. Been there done that with inboard gassers in this size range. The diesels would add about 1,000 extra pounds and require more maintenance dollars than the gassers.

Today, what engine options are there powering a new 37 foot planing light duty recreational vessel? Few inboard gassers, either outboards or diesels. The jury is split on whether diesels or outboards are the lowest purchase and op cost. The machinery specs and fuel efficiency for the MJM 40 with outboards are pretty interesting.
I've owned two gas powered planning boats and one diesel trawler. With the huge bill for gas and the danger associated with gas I'll never go back. It would cost me several hundred dollars and at least half of my fuel to have a fun day on the bay. Gas boats are way too expensive. I would imagine a planning boat with diesels may use up a lot of fuel too but gas does not belong on a boat. It's too volatile.
Old 03-11-2019, 07:51 PM   #23
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
Sunk in salt or fresh water? I would be worried about the steel oil pans condition more than 3116's with 2000 hours unless they were pre-1998 350 hp or more. Engine survey should tell you what work was done.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #24
Guru

City: Sharon, Ma
Vessel Name: Slow Lane
Vessel Model: 2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtdoc1 View Post
I've owned two gas powered planning boats and one diesel trawler. With the huge bill for gas and the danger associated with gas I'll never go back. It would cost me several hundred dollars and at least half of my fuel to have a fun day on the bay. Gas boats are way too expensive. I would imagine a planning boat with diesels may use up a lot of fuel too but gas does not belong on a boat. It's too volatile.
Can you expound on the dangers? I'm in the process of buying a gas powered boat and this was one of my concerns too. But it's so hard to say that gassers are inherently more dangerous when there are SO MANY OF THEM out there. Do you think twice about driving your car at 50mph and sitting 5-7 feet away from the tank?

2005 Silverton 35 Motoryacht
South of Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:07 AM   #25
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by South of Heaven View Post
Can you expound on the dangers? I'm in the process of buying a gas powered boat and this was one of my concerns too. But it's so hard to say that gassers are inherently more dangerous when there are SO MANY OF THEM out there. Do you think twice about driving your car at 50mph and sitting 5-7 feet away from the tank?
Good question South. Boat US has many statistics and operational pointers for safe gassers. While you're at it, your insurer will have articles and actuarial boat data. In the recreational 30 to 40 foot range outboards are becoming more common.

I've seen some serious diesel boat fires. No shortage of boat fires unrelated to fuel.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:19 AM   #26
Guru

City: LI or Fla
I've owned gas and diesel, both have there places and as pointed out the outboard market has exploded (sorry for the pun) and what do they run on, yup GASOLINE. By me many of these large 3,4,5 outboards per boat are running to the canyon and back, and yes 5-7 seas. It's all about maintenance plain and simple.
Marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #27
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
My concern was always more about Co - it depends what boat you have and how you use it.
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #28

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Well I am sitting and waiting at this point. To cold to have her splashed. We will see where this leads. Survey of engines is key, I have read that a cat certified survey is pretty thorough and hopefully can bring piece of mind. It’s amazing how much amnesia the marina has about the boat and service to it.
larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:03 PM   #29

City: Palo Alto
Vessel Name: Ann-Elyse II
Vessel Model: North Pacific 45
Quote:
These days gas engines are safe. Although diesel is less volatile and therefore more safe. I loved my two Mercruiser 5.7's in my Carver C34 but they were loud and expensive to run and maintain. It would cost me several hundred $ to spend a day on the bay. Now that I've spent a year with a diesel I'll never go back to gas engines.

When I put my Carver C34 up for sale I priced it low for a quick sale. It sat for over a year. It was loaded with electronics, had a custom hard top and numerous upgrades. The broker said that the boat was getting a lot of interest but the gas engines were the issue. The boat was finally purchased by a first time buyer.

Seriously, unless you're going with outboards get diesel. You'll love the low end torque while docking, less noise and less fuel. The diesel engine(s) will cost more but when it comes time to sell you will be glad you went with diesel. I am!
Old 03-13-2019, 11:22 PM   #30
Guru

City: Southwest MI
Vessel Name: Sobelle
Vessel Model: C-Dory 22 Cruiser
A lot of people in this thread talk about how much more gas boats cost to operate than diesel ones. However, when comparing the cost of gas vs. diesel boats you need to consider the type of boat and how it is operated. Most gas powered boats (but not all) are meant to go fast and have many hundreds of HP which burns a lot of gas. Most (but not all) diesel boats are trawler types (or sport fishers) and generally operate at a much lower speed and much lower horsepower than a typical gas boat. If you had a gas boat and operate it in the same manner as a diesel trawler I'm pretty sure that the difference in the fuel costs would be much less.

I also see a lot of gas powered express cruisers operating in the worst possible speed range, right on the hump.

Also, depending on where you boat, you may find that getting diesel fuel is a lot more effort than finding gas.
ssobol is offline   Reply With Quote