Opinions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Catimann

To me this seems like a well built decent boat for the price. Yes it is older but if the add is true to its word then the value is there. I am still in the very early looking phase so this is not a purchase question but a value and usability question.
It does state that it could be for ocean use. That said the Ocean here is all behind Vancouver island so it is more like a great lake with salt added. What do I know.
I would want to use it as a coastal cruiser.

Thanks
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/powell-river-the-fizz/7190519397.html
01616_4Rtg4qkjVpq_0CI0t2_600x450.jpg

I would not do coastal cruising in it. I believe it would be dangerous in much of a sea. It is a lake boat IMO. Anyone can say a boat is an ocean or a coastal boat but that doesn’t make it true. You can go offshore when it is dead calm and by the time you head in it can be horrible and I would not want to be in that boat in anything over a couple of feet waves, if that.

Many boats similar have done the loop with care.

google loop by houseboat.

Welcome!

Just to clarify, your theoretical use is around Vancouver, Gulf Islands, etc?

If so, I think I'd be a little nervous in that boat. Yes, you are "sheltered" by Vancouver Island, but there are strong currents and conditions on a fairly regular basis.

So while you don't need an ocean-crosser, I wouldn't recommend a boat like that one. Especially if you are relatively new to boating. I'd want to err on the side of the boat will help you to get out of trouble vs. you'd better be perfect.

On a different body of water, I'd have a different opinion.

The Strait of Georgia is more ocean than lake. Conditions change with the tide. Some island passages have rip tides that would be dangerous for this boat. I plan my trips based on the tides and have an 83' boat. An old fishing boat would be better.

I think when they stated "ocean use" in the ad I think they meant saltwater and not running this off the west coast of Vancouver Island. I would not pick this as a coastal cruiser. I think it could get a bit sketchy dealing with a big wake from a 50+ footer up on plane.

Here's a NADA listing that says the average value for that boat is $7000

https://www.nadaguides.com/Boats/1970/Chris-Craft/AQUA-HOME-34-I-O/10041389/Values

Yours has a new Cat engine which is a big plus, but its still a 50 year old boat and I'd be concerned about a twin to single conversion. Also, consider the stability impact of removing an engine and 1 set of running gear down low....and adding a fly bridge up high....and then taking a lake boat out into the ocean.....

It might be a great deal, and it might make you very happy......but I think you could find a better coastal cruiser in that price range.

Here's a 1985 36' Albin double cabin with diesel power for $39,000
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/albin-36-double-cabin-3688979/

A 1992 Carver 33 foot aft cabin for $32,000
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1992/carver-330-aft-cabin-3709701/

1990 Bayliner 3288 with twin diesels for $35,000
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1990/bayliner-3288-motoryacht-3706614/

To me this seems like a well built decent boat for the price. Yes it is older but if the add is true to its word then the value is there. I am still in the very early looking phase so this is not a purchase question but a value and usability question.
It does state that it could be for ocean use. That said the Ocean here is all behind Vancouver island so it is more like a great lake with salt added. What do I know.

Thanks
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/boa/d/powell-river-the-fizz/7190519397.html

Well, like everyone else said, but for starters, you'd need to lose that tree trunk sticking up out of the cockpit before you went far. That would definitely make it a bit 'tippy'. :D

I am not a mechanic but it says the 3208 has sleeves in the cylinders, I didn’t think that 3208s had sleeved cylinders. Also it says all stainless steel fittings below the waterline, bronze would be preferable due to crevice corrosion.

Greetings,
Mr. Cat. Nice boat but agree with all of the above. NOT for ocean use.

Last edited:
It's a great lake houseboat. Value, about $12K. Maybe.

It probably has a 2' draft. Freeboard looks a little skinny for ocean. Clearly designed for a smooth lake.

Last edited:
If you are looking for a dock Queen or a floating condo it will fit your needs. If you are going out into open water, keep looking.

pete

A 3208 non-turbo engine is 210 hp. A 3208T is about 270 hp. Makes me wonder if they know what they were doing. Brass prop???
Warning lights are flashing.

A 3208 non-turbo engine is 210 hp. A 3208T is about 270 hp. Makes me wonder if they know what they were doing. Brass prop???
Warning lights are flashing.

They are flashing quite brightly in my opinion. In the description it does talk about turbo boost. It also says they added a propane stove. Huge possible issue with proper propane installation, was it done correctly? If not it can be a big safety issue.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard.
Brief opinion, wrong boat for non-protected waters.
Recommendations? See above. Way too many options that will bring you home alive.
Advice? Diesel power. Stay away from wooden hull boats and exterior teak, especially teak decks.

Well, like everyone else said, but for starters, you'd need to lose that tree trunk sticking up out of the cockpit before you went far. That would definitely make it a bit 'tippy'. :D

That is for his steady sail?

Years ago we did a lot of cruising with friends who had a "houseboat" similar t this one. They went everywhere we did with our old Mainship trawler. Nantucket, Martha's Vineyard, Block I scores of times, down LI Sound and up the Hudson.
Definately a coastal cruiser no doubt about it.
The boat will take more than these guys think in MY opinion.
No I would not like to be out in 6 foot seas with it, but I wouldn't want to in any boat.

I'd say pretty steep price for a 1971 34' houseboat. If you like the tremendous room of a houseboat and want to stick close to shore. Take a look at the Holiday Mansion. I really like the bow on some of them. For 40K you can easily find one in the 39' - 49' LOA. One drawback is they are usually twin gasser sterndrives. Plenty of umph for plenty of fuel or putz along at trawler speed.

On the Boat Trader website there is a 83' 39' Jumbo Barracuda on a trailer (rare) for $19K. So, get in your F-350 dually, drive on over to North Dakota and tow it home.

https://www.boattrader.com/boats/make-holiday-mansion/

Lake boat only, $12 to $15k max. Expensive engine, possibly installed correctly, possibly not, twin to singe conversion is a BIG deal, especially if not installed properly. Expensive, capable engine/drive train, installed in an inexpensive, lake boat, does NOT make the boat worth $$$$ more than same boat with original engines. Just makes it a lake boat with an overkill:nonono: for a drive train. The Bayliner, in LaConner, mentioned in a previous link is in the same price range, and would be more suitable for judicious coastal cruising . . . JMHO

Not so much can you, but why would you?

Odds are you might be just fine in this boat in a bad sea condition, but odds are you would be better off in a bad sea with another hull. You had better hope the hull to deck joints are first rate as well as the other structure and windows. If you get a serious green water flush in that boat you are going to find out very quickly what you have. Too little free board and too much blunt structure too far forward. Lastly, if you plan to sell this boat some day, who will you be selling to? 9 out of 10 comments here were advising you to avoid this boat. I am from the Great Lakes and these boats have a VERY limited following even in this region, so shipping it out here to sell is a non starter. You can make this boat work if you plan to be a blue bird sailor, but eventually you will get caught out or need to stretch your limits. Then it begs the question was it worth it to save some money? There is much to like about the comfort of a houseboat, just not at sea. Around here people are using pontoon boats like offshore sport fishing boats. Still a bad idea even though they have evolved into trimarans with higher freeboard with more forward rake. There is a design cross purpose at work here. Avoid it.

Don't do it my friend. Sorry, but bad line of thinking for your desired use.

like many decisions in life.....

The difference between can I do it versus should I do it takes a lot of internal debate.

I have seen people who have done amazing things with houseboats....but despite my experience telling me it can be done... I still would chose differently....

Any of you actually ever been on Powell Lake? The lake where this boat has been for the last 50 years?

It is essentially a landslide trapped fjord. It can get pretty rough.

Not advocating it, but if it is rough out front (Strait of Georgia) on an East or West wind. It is almost equally rough on the lake.

I commercial fished for 29 years on the BC coast. I have lost ship mates and associate commercial fishers over that time. What I find interesting is of all of these deaths at sea the majority, over 90%, were outside (outside Vancouver Island) fishers but died inside Vancouver Island in the Gulf of Georgia/Salish Sea.

I believe this is the result of the mind set that 'Hey, I have cruised and fish in horrendous weather in the 'deep sea'. There is nothing to be concerned with inside Vancouver Island.' Unfortunately, there is major things to be concerned with in these inside waters. They can be deadly given the wrong circumstances.

The boat in question is a lake boat. Doesn't mean you can go out in any weather on a lake but means it is best suited for that cruising. Not for ocean cruising, inside or outside Vancouver Island.

As someone who has done 99 % of my boating on the strait of Georgia, in the San Juan area and the west side of Vancouver Island, don't walk but run away from this boat. You are doing the right thing by asking here, you need to learn boat styles that are conducive to a great boating experience here. Keep posting photos and asking questions, others new to boating on TF will also learn. Enjoy the search and learning.

boat suitability

Thanks

That would be a great boat on a lake or the ICW or in very protected bays. Having lived in the PNW and cruised around the San Juans, I would not use that boat in those waters. Nor would I use it as a coastal cruiser. It looks to be very unstable and should only be used in protected, relatively calm waters, IMO.

Misrepresentation is first red flag

Amazing that it's not obvious to see that this vessel being represented as good to go on the ocean is actually not. And: Stainless steel thru-hulls? Repowered from twin gas to single diesel? Things start piling up.

If you are looking for a boat to cruise the Salish Sea, start by looking at the vessels in the size you want that are already doing it here. If you are new to this sort of thing, this is not the time to buck the trends. You can become more daring when you've gained experience and can know the risks of going off on a tangent.

Hopefully, you will enjoy researching all this stuff and it will add to your pleasure and confidence as well as introducing you to new friends.

I don't know if pennies still have any value so maybe my opinion isn't worth one, let alone two of them.

Looks like a "party" boat for False Creek.

Welcome to TF

This houseboat looks like it would be irritating in as little as 3’ waves, much less other boat’s 5-6’ wakes. A perfect day boat is what it looks like. The problem with that is when you are out on the water enjoying a great day and it whips up to a wind opposing the current, this boat could be overwhelmed.

Back
Top Bottom