Opinions please -

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The 34’ Marine Trader fir 35K looks pretty nice. It has teak decks which I don’t like but overall looks nice. Will it need some work, absolutely. But in that price range you have to expect some work required.

I have read that half of the people in the US have less than $1000 in savings but they find a way to get by.

I have ZERO savings. I can get a far better return elsewhere.

My two cents is that you will find it extremely difficult living on a trawler and keeping it maintained on social security. If you are at the top end of social security you are going to gross circa $2600. Figure $1000/month for maintenance add in insurance and fuel. What about dockage? In the Bahamas that can get pricey. Food in the Bahamas runs two to three times the price of food in US.

Good luck.

He ask for a diesel under $40K. I delivered.

Yes, you did and this might be a great vessel for someone.

However, the OP noted he is ALL-IN at 40K. This doesn't leave any money for cruising, fixing up the boat, or even expected things like sales tax on the purchase.

Personally, if I had wanderlust and only 40K, I'd get a good used 1/2 ton pickup and a trailer and hit the road chasing 70 degrees.

Jim

I'm building a boat and doing all my cruising on social security and I don't even make $1000 per month from SS.

:hide:

I think this is affordable.

$35K asking price.

$28K final sales price

$29,960 With sales tax

You might consider the 32' and 38' Bayliner 3870/3888/3270 etc. The Bayliner 'motoryachts' of the 1980-'89 era had efficient semi-planing (semi displacement) hulls. While they don't have snob appeal they were actually fairly well designed and built. Many had Hino diesels, some had gas. Frankly having owned both gas and diesel I wouldn't be too quick to just dismiss gas. Gas engines are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and are much quieter. Fuel consumption is a matter of speed and hull design.

10 years from now when this question arises, the low cost approach will be outboard powered boats. Not enough outboard powered cruisers on the used market yet to make it a probable option for most.

Actually I was going to suggest a C-Dory for the same reasons. Diesel-like economy, few surprises, and it’s been done successfully many times. Excellent resale, helpful community, and the spouse is already out of the picture so problem solved there too. :)

I bought a small trailerable boat to start out. 27ft. Cost me 20k plus 12k for a truck to haul it. I draw SS plus military pension. I cruise in sections. Dont have to pay slip fees, unless i want to.

I crawled all over various boats, until i found my Donzi. Search every nook and cranny of whatever boat you look at. Several times we got excited over a boat, only to find hidden problems.

We pull up to a gas station, fill up the truck and boat at the pump, and go.

Tomorrow we are going on the Cumberland river from Ashland City thru Cheatham Dam/lock for our first lock experience, then on up to Clarksville and beyond. I am excited.

Are any if you going to be in the area?

My two cents is that you will find it extremely difficult living on a trawler and keeping it maintained on social security. If you are at the top end of social security you are going to gross circa $2600. Figure $1000/month for maintenance add in insurance and fuel. What about dockage? In the Bahamas that can get pricey. Food in the Bahamas runs two to three times the price of food in US.

Good luck.
When I retire in 2024, I'll be receiving $2700 a month. Can you elaborate on your $1000 a month maintenance budget. What are the major "suckers" of that figure? And are you doing as much of that as possible, or are you "supervising?"

Mark

You might consider the 32' and 38' Bayliner 3870/3888/3270 etc. The Bayliner 'motoryachts' of the 1980-'89 era had efficient semi-planing (semi displacement) hulls. While they don't have snob appeal they were actually fairly well designed and built. Many had Hino diesels, some had gas. Frankly having owned both gas and diesel I wouldn't be too quick to just dismiss gas. Gas engines are cheap to buy, cheap to maintain and are much quieter. Fuel consumption is a matter of speed and hull design.
Yes, I've seen many Bayliner and Carver yachts with gas engines with very attractive prices. Funny, I worry about gas twins and trying to get to the spark plugs on the outboard sides. Looks like you'd have to be a snake to get those out! But diesels don't have those plugs...
I'm not a fancy guy and I don't need to show off. I'm just looking for a suitable liveaboard boat to be my home... But I do want it to be movable (looper). Liveaboard, to me means: double sink in galley, big reefer (or small reefer and separate freezer), separate stand-up shower. Is some cases, I can turn a "weekend" boat to a liveaboard, but that would be a "plan B" option.

Mark

Actually I was going to suggest a C-Dory for the same reasons. Diesel-like economy, few surprises, and it’s been done successfully many times. Excellent resale, helpful community, and the spouse is already out of the picture so problem solved there too. :)
Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't know Cape Dory even made power boats.

Do you know any larger gas boats (live-aboard), with single screw?

Mark

Mark, I have never seen the advantage of a double sink.
Am I missing something?
I suspect most of us store the cutting board on the top of the second sink.

What I was asking was:
1) Is a fulltime live-aboard and Loop boat possible with gas engines? Is it stupid?
2) Secondly, what is an expected maintenance budget (figure)?

Yes you can do the loop with gas or diesel. The fuel cost on marine gas is about $4.00, and you will burn more gas than diesel.

In my experience maintenance on a gas is also more expensive.

A 6 cyl. diesel is simpler to maintain. You MUST have clean fuel, and change the oil every 200 hours. That means oil filter and 5 gal. of oil. Fuel you will need 2 racor filters each month. Keep fresh fuel in it at all times.

Change the raw water impeller every 6-12 months. Change all of the fuel and water hoses with USCG approved hoses to start with (gas or diesel).

It is a tossup on gas or diesel you can buy used gas motors cheaper, but they are not as dependable. Hence the lower cost.

On engines if you do not have knowledge of the brand you are looking at, find someone who does. The engine room is the heart of the boat.

If you are not in a hurry don't buy a planning boat with a big gas motor.
100-150 HP diesel will push a 45' trawler at 7 knots all day long.

This all in my opinion and years of experience. It may or may not be the ideal solution for you. I am not advising you as a Registered Professional Engineer. Just a fellow boater trying to help.

OK, maybe it's me -

How do you wash dishes if you don't have 1 sink for warm soapy water soaking dishes, and another sink for rinsing into?

Mark

Yes you can do the loop with gas or diesel. The fuel cost on marine gas is about $4.00, and you will burn more gas than diesel.

In my experience maintenance on a gas is also more expensive.

A 6 cyl. diesel is simpler to maintain. You MUST have clean fuel, and change the oil every 200 hours. That means oil filter and 5 gal. of oil. Fuel you will need 2 racor filters each month. Keep fresh fuel in it at all times.

Change the raw water impeller every 6-12 months. Change all of the fuel and water hoses with USCG approved hoses to start with (gas or diesel).

It is a tossup on gas or diesel you can buy used gas motors cheaper, but they are not as dependable. Hence the lower cost.

On engines if you do not have knowledge of the brand you are looking at, find someone who does. The engine room is the heart of the boat.

If you are not in a hurry don't buy a planning boat with a big gas motor.
100-150 HP diesel will push a 45' trawler at 7 knots all day long.

This all in my opinion and years of experience. It may or may not be the ideal solution for you. I am not advising you as a Registered Professional Engineer. Just a fellow boater trying to help.
This is what I'm talking about -

This boat has nearly everything I want (except gas engines)... But look at that price!
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1978/carver-330-mariner-3233669/?refSource=standard%20listing[/URL]
And there are lots of examples in the sub 20s price range (in gas).

This is where I think of post purchase maintenance costs (per yr or per month).

Mark

OK, maybe it's me -

How do you wash dishes if you don't have 1 sink for warm soapy water soaking dishes, and another sink for rinsing into?

Mark
There are loads of opinions on here. Lot of great information. My boat has a Bravo 3 Merc gas engine. My husband is a shade tree mechanic. That is part of the reason we bought this particular boat. Most everything we need the fix is easily accessable. We can pull up and fuel up, no paying $4/ gal. I use my Mapco card and points and get up to .15 cents off a gallon for 30 gal. When you are on a budget every penny counts.

When i want to buy something i weight whether i need it or not. What i spend on other stuff on land takes away from boat money. So I cut some things out of my monthly budget. Sat tv went, in favor of broadcast, streaming and roku. Saved $50/there. Getting way more channels so don't miss it. Cell phone company gave me a cheaper plan. All in all, I have $500 a month to spend, barring unforseen circumstances.

When i wash dishes, I get the hot water going, plug the sink, add soap. Its only 2 of us so not many dishes. Soap up and rinse under clean running hot water, pull the plug and done. It conserves water too. :)

Using the fill the sink method will go through your water very quickly. I put the plug in the sink and start running the water to get it hot, put a bit of soapy water in a cup and get to work starting with the least dirty items first. As I rinse the sink fills a bit. By the time I get to the pots n pans I have enough water, barely, in the sink to get after them. If I'm really trying to stretch the water supply the water run to wait for hot goes in the tea pot to be used later.

Funny, I worry about gas twins and trying to get to the spark plugs on the outboard sides. Looks like you'd have to be a snake to get those out! But diesels don't have those plugs...
Getting the plugs out working blind is easy. Getting them back in is the trick. Here's one I learned from an experienced mechanic. Find a bit of hose that is just the right ID to fit over the ceramic part of the plug. Not tight, not sloppy. The plug should spin inside the hose with just a bit of effort, not much. The length of the hose will take some experimentation, has to be just right depending upon your body position and the clearance you have snaking your hand over the top of the engine to the outboard side. A bit shorter is better than longer so there isn't too much flop. Poke around with the plug inserted in the hose, with practice you'll be able to feel when the plug lines up with the hole. Gently screw the plug in. This method both extends your reach and makes the chance of cross threading when working blind very low. Now an extension on the socket wrench finishes the job.

There are loads of opinions on here. Lot of great information. My boat has a Bravo 3 Merc gas engine. My husband is a shade tree mechanic. That is part of the reason we bought this particular boat. Most everything we need the fix is easily accessable. We can pull up and fuel up, no paying $4/ gal. I use my Mapco card and points and get up to .15 cents off a gallon for 30 gal. When you are on a budget every penny counts.

When i want to buy something i weight whether i need it or not. What i spend on other stuff on land takes away from boat money. So I cut some things out of my monthly budget. Sat tv went, in favor of broadcast, streaming and roku. Saved $50/there. Getting way more channels so don't miss it. Cell phone company gave me a cheaper plan. All in all, I have $500 a month to spend, barring unforseen circumstances.

When i wash dishes, I get the hot water going, plug the sink, add soap. Its only 2 of us so not many dishes. Soap up and rinse under clean running hot water, pull the plug and done. It conserves water too. :)
I've been curious about the I/O drives -

Do they reduce thru-hull holes? Meaning, do they intake engine water?

Mark

I've been curious about the I/O drives -

Do they reduce thru-hull holes? Meaning, do they intake engine water?

Mark

Yes I/O drives have a sea water pump in them but they also have hidden water hoses and exhaust bellows that needs to be changed annually. Not something that can be done in the water. That will require a haul out and more expense.
So to answer you question you will have fewer through holes. I have never had a bronze though hull to break and they have 1/4 turn shut off valves.
Some boats have a "sea chest" that brings in a large volume to a single source.

Yes I/O drives have a sea water pump in them but they also have hidden water hoses and exhaust bellows that needs to be changed annually. Not something that can be done in the water. That will require a haul out and more expense.
So to answer you question you will have fewer through holes. I have never had a bronze though hull to break and they have 1/4 turn shut off valves.
Some boats have a "sea chest" that brings in a large volume to a single source.
Believe me, I'm ASKING this and not being "snarky" -

So when you see a boat sink in it's slip, it's NOT from a thru-hole? Do you shut off every sea-cock in your boat when you leave it?

Mark

Believe me, I'm ASKING this and not being "snarky" -

So when you see a boat sink in it's slip, it's NOT from a thru-hole? Do you shut off every sea-cock in your boat when you leave it?

Mark
BTW - Those I/O drives always look so crusty when I see them... But they do make beaching the boat a lot cleaner.

Mark

Mark

If I plan on being away for an extended time (week) yes I close them. I am not concerned about the through hull it is the hose connected to it.

10 years from now when this question arises, the low cost approach will be outboard powered boats. Not enough outboard powered cruisers on the used market yet to make it a probable option for most.
Out boards -

I know outboards can do the loop, but do they every make the jump to the Bahamas?

I've always considered outboards as flat-water engines, so I have no knowledge of how they could be used in larger (32+) boats. Any examples?

Mark

product-protection.jpg__395x204_q85_crop-scale_size_canvas_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg

And yes they will do rough water. This is 900 HP!:socool:

Whatever you buy it is likely to be an older boat in this price range. That's fine but for sure get an a qualified surveyor to inspect the boat and a qualified mechanic to do a mechanical survey. Also, look at a number of boats, things that look good on Yachtworld may not please you in person. Every boat is a compromise and what is important to you will be different from others. I think someone mentioned it but a single engine (gas or diesel) is lower cost to own and operate, but the compromise is the loss of redundancy.

OK, maybe it's me -

Mark

Very easy. After washing them, I stack them on my cutting board and when I have washed all the dishes, I run water over them into the soapy water.

Mark, you are asking good questions. Keep it up.

I think it is a bit hard to answer some of them as they are so wide ranging. There is also a lot of unknowns. If you buy a cheap boat (yes, your price point is definitely in the "cheap boat" category), you can expect more maintenance issues. Cheap boats are cheap for a reason. Cheap boats are not cheap to maintain (but then no boat is).

I may have missed it but a lot depends on what your experience is with boats. Unless you have spend a lot of time on the water, have cruised on a boat before, then I'd caution you about putting all your savings into a boat and investing in a lifestyle where the reality doesn't match the dream.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom