Opinions on this 1983 Marine Trader '34.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kief

Vessel Name
Voyager
Vessel Make
Camano Troll - 31'
I'm interested in the 1983 Marine Trader 34 linked below and would appreciate thoughts on a couple of questions.
1. The teak has been removed from the decks and glassed over, but the deck on the top of the aft cabin is still teak. Is that still a problem or is glassing the bow and aft decks the crux of the matter?
2. The fuel tanks have been pulled and new aluminum tanks installed. Does that largely address that issue, which I've seen commented on several times?
3. The boat has a single American Diesel. I believe I read in another post that this is the same as a Ford Lehman. Is that correct or did I misread?
4. Any obvious flaws/concerns here or might this be worth a further look?

Thank you for your input.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1983/marine-trader-34-double-cabin-3676964

The deck on the aft cabin needs to be recaulked. Not a major issue.
Fuel tanks should be considered new.
Lehman's are great engines, parts readily available.
Only issue I see is obvious evidence of window leakage. This can be a real pain. Not a showstopper but needs to be addressed.

The deck on the aft cabin needs to be recaulked. Not a major issue.
Fuel tanks should be considered new.
Lehman's are great engines, parts readily available.
Only issue I see is obvious evidence of window leakage. This can be a real pain. Not a showstopper but needs to be addressed.
I noticed the stains under the windows in the forward v-berth. The write-up says no leaks so it could be from an earlier time. But that would clearly be something to look out for. Thanks for the heads up.

She looks well cared for. There is a lot more exterior teak than I would want to take care of. I'm not crazy about the stairs down in to the saloon but that is subjective. The water damage from the porthole in the V-birth should be looked at. The price for a 2008 seams reasonable. For that price you can have a lot of fun as long as she is turnkey. If she needs much work I would pass but if she's ready to go - heck ya.

Looks like a well maintained boat. The possible port light leak has already been mentioned. Personally if I had this boat I’d keep it in a covered slip. That is an incredible amount of teak to maintain.
John

Back
Top Bottom