Opinion on aluminum railing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hornloaded

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
New Adventure
Vessel Make
McKinna 48PH
I’m looking at a 47’ trawler that has all aluminum railing. I’ve never seen this. It doesn’t appear to be polished, more of a satin finish.
Should this be a concern?

Thanks
Doug

I wouldn't be concerned about aluminum railing. For most boats, I prefer it over stainless that requires polishing.

They may have created the finish by simply using a green scouring pad. I prefer that finish to mill scale or some attempt to polish it. It should wear well without any polishing. The only issue I have with aluminum is sometimes you get a white powdery surface from oxidation. For something like hand rails, you can wipe if off a few times a year. But you will never have "rust" or discoloration.

Some boats look better with painted pipe railings. Just the owner's preference.

How stout are the railings? Do the lean on them test. BTW, our SS railings never need polishing, just wipe them off after a wash job. It is all in the initial SS quality and original polishing.

Fresh water or Salt water ? Stainless will last longer in salt.

pete

I’m looking at a 47’ trawler that has all aluminum railing. I’ve never seen this. It doesn’t appear to be polished, more of a satin finish.
Should this be a concern?

Thanks
Doug

I love our 1-1/4" all-aluminum rails. ZERO maintenance except to rinse off salt water. They look great unpolished IMHO.

I have looked at a few Great Harbors like Ray’s and they look fine after a number of years in use. Would not bother me so long as they are of adequate size and solidly fastened.

You can use a protectant like Shark Hide (spelling?) on aluminum.

My Mainship has Aluminum rails. I can't get 1 1/4" hardware to fit. Though I don't think it's 1 1/2". They are stout and I don't have any issues. They will develop a oxidation on the outside, however, I find common areas that get touched frequently never develop oxidation patina.

If you want shiny, don't get aluminum. However, you don't have to polish them either.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom