Old 11-26-2020, 06:21 AM   #81
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
I think its a gross generalization that people of different income levels use government services at a proportional rate matching income.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:35 AM   #82
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
The guy bagging groceries and earning 15k will pay $3k at a flat 20%. Less if the tax doesn't kick in immediately. If it kicks in at $10k he pays $1k.

The guy earning $100k will pay $20k.

The guy earning $1million will pay $200k.

The guy earning $200 million will pay $4 million.
That last one should have been $40 million!
Old 11-26-2020, 06:50 AM   #83
FF
Guru

"The income inequality divide can only grow for so long before something has to give. Just ask Louis 16th."

The std of living of anyone but the homeless is far better than Louis 16 could even dream of.

Drinkable water , indoor plumbing , central heat ,even air cond, easy transportation and doctors that do not drain blood for any/every condition,most created for the better off.

Some of these are now common by gov edict , but not until a market (by folks that had coin) had created and enjoyed the advances..

The mobile phone was not created for the Obama Phone folks , neither was the indoor toilet.
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:37 AM   #84
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
More than 50% of live births are to single mothers in the US. Children are disadvantaged from the start. Statistics show less life time earnings, more disease, shorter life expectancy, more mental health difficulties, and more interaction with legal system.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:47 AM   #85
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin/PSN 40
Best if we get back to the boat end of the discussion...or it will become just another useless, locked political thread.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 07:04 AM   #86
Guru

City: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Vessel Name: Xanadu
Vessel Model: Mainship 37 Motor Yacht
I think that ship sailed a long time ago. And the irony and hypocrisy of conducting an evil rich discussion on a recreational trawler forum is apparently lost. I'll bet none of the posters on this one will be selling their floating toys to become more virtuous trailer park residents, or writing checks for voluntary tax payments.
kthoennes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:45 AM   #87
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
There isn't really much of a tax break for low-income people because they generally don't pay any taxes! The rich pay most of the taxes, but it's an easy target to say that they need to pay "their fair share".
backinblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2020, 08:52 AM   #88
Guru

City: Kitimat, North Coast BC
Vessel Name: Badger
Vessel Model: 30' Sundowner Tug
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Best if we get back to the boat end of the discussion...or it will become just another useless, locked political thread.
Sage advice, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
I think that ship sailed a long time ago. And the irony and hypocrisy of conducting an evil rich discussion on a recreational trawler forum is apparently lost. I'll bet none of the posters on this one will be selling their floating toys to become more virtuous trailer park residents, or writing checks for voluntary tax payments.
One of them broke from the herd! N-n-n-nervous? Defensive?

I live in a duplex, recently retired early with a reduced pension, and my after tax & deductions take home pay used to be $36,000.00 Canadian, or $27,730.00 US per year. Does that meet your insufficient means test, which would then (according to your standards) allow me to comment on such things?
Old 11-27-2020, 09:08 AM   #89
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthoennes View Post
Rich is perspective. Trawlers are (were?) an attribute of the middle class/upper middle class American dream. Work hard, save money, make wise decisions sort of thing.

This a $200M yacht. A recently inconceivable amount to spend on a yacht. And this one is used... That is obscene wealth disparity, much more than the early industrialist, and bordering on monarch, emperor, and czar levels of disproportionality.

It is the middle class that is taking the beating here, not the rich or the poor. We are the scapegoats of the Uber rich to be fed to the poor.

I'm afraid we are dividing up the world into an estates of the realm system again. If you aren't invited to Davos this winter, you are probably in the Third Estate.
Northern Spy is online now   Reply With Quote