Online float plan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keith

Guru
Vessel Name
Anastasia III
Vessel Make
Krogen 42
A friend sent me this the other day: http://usfloatplan.com/
It's a free website where you can set up a profile and file a float plan. If
you don't close it, they will start e-mailing you, your crew, and emergency
contacts. Has anybody used this, and what do you think? Useful?

There was one similar to this several years ago, but it went belly-up, I
guess through non-use or not enough money to run the thing.

I think it will be useful. It is basically the same thing they have done with VFR flight plans for years. Basically, if you don't "close" your float plan, they start using their most basic and simple resources to try to find your status. If they call your contact number and they tell them that you are sitting right next to them, the search is over. But if you are missing, they will get the gist pretty quickly and start ramping up their efforts. Airplanes are a little easier because they can only stay airborne for so long whereas the ETA of a boat might change in units of DAYS instead of an hour.

Hi folks,
*** I think this is a good idea as well, but only for coastal cruising around the US). If there is a way for the participating boat, to update or change the plan via email, SSB, cell phone or whatever. Not to sure how it may work in international waters though.* As we all know cruising on a schedule is not the way to go. I am a pilot as well and know how the flight plan works, but the variables with trawler cruising are very different. Even more so for the $ailboat. (sorry bout that).
*** Cruising without a schedule can put you in some really neat places, and you will want to stay a few days, or weeks in some of those special places! If the participating boat cannot update the plan, you dont want to alert the CG, now do you?
** I guess I am into statistics, and statistically, most all folks will be just fine out there. We all just hear about the bad things that happen, and then it all gets very exaggerated as it flows through the various Nets.*
**** In our cruising experience, we have found many other folks out here that will help you out in a heartbeat. We all have a very close-nit community. Sometimes we try to cover all the bases to the extreme. I know that I did. Just take yer time, LEARN and watch the weather, and have fun mon!
Respectfully,
Ken

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom